Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dailey mirror today Ashley barns to Bristol city

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Barnes got a fair few assists too and played less than Murray. Similar standard and more room for improvement (and greater effort except in contract years). Only negative is he's similar to Hoskins and if our top target is too maybe we need a different option. I'd keep Barnes though think he'll be solid in Champ.

The point is that if you have a partnership and the senior partner leaves, then you have the unknown factor of will the junior get along with his replacement, or will he take the senior role. Not having seen Barnes play except on the box I can't say but would not be surprised if Poyet goes for a new pairing up-front.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The higher you move up the leagues the less chances the strikers get so they have to take a larger percentage of them that is my concern with Barnes that he wont get so many chances. If he now scores 1 in 6 chances and only gets 3 or 4 ina game that means his goal total will drop from last season. It is also virtually certain that Hoskins will take the penalties.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Hes not going anywhere. Young, talented and only going to improve, not the sort Gus is likely to let go.
Selling him does not fit in with Gus's ethos at all

I would have thought the same about Bennett. What if someone offers to treble Barnes' wages?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes exit to BC never gonna happen... when are people gonna realise that we are now in the same div as (clubs like) Brizzle City!? He is not out of contract, we do not need to sell... he is a young and promising player, and Gus likes him... also, why would he want to go there?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Barnes exit to BC never gonna happen... when are people gonna realise that we are now in the same div as (clubs like) Brizzle City!? He is not out of contract, we do not need to sell... he is a young and promising player, and Gus likes him... also, why would he want to go there?

If Gus and Tony think they can get way above his value then of course they would sell him. If they don't and want to keep him then they will. I don't think anyone is worried about it being because Bristol City are a much bigger club than us

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
We may not need to sell him, but its possible that Lord Gus wants to sell him.

Even though he got 20 goals, he's obviosuly not Lord Gus' favourite player. He played 2nd fiddle to Wood, a loanee, and if Poyer thought that highly of him, surely Barnes would have played with Murray, and Wood would have warmed the bench, but no, Poyet rather played another teams striker than his own. Suggests he's not an Ashley fan. Maybe Poyet is one of the few who can see beyond the "20 goals" headline. Seems to be the case if this is true. I think Poyet should get one of those NSC knighthoods people were talking about on Friday:)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Even though he got 20 goals, he's obviosuly not Lord Gus' favourite player. He played 2nd fiddle to Wood, a loanee, and if Poyer thought that highly of him, surely Barnes would have played with Murray, and Wood would have warmed the bench, but no, Poyet rather played another teams striker than his own. Suggests he's not an Ashley fan. Maybe Poyet is one of the few who can see beyond the "20 goals" headline. Seems to be the case if this is true. I think Poyet should get one of those NSC knighthoods people were talking about on Friday:)
Not true
Barnsley did that with Wood by leaving him on the bench and hardly played him. WBA recalled him. Managers don't like it when there players go on loan and don't feature. That's of course if they have no future at there parent club and are happy just to get shot.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If Gus and Tony think they can get way above his value then of course they would sell him. If they don't and want to keep him then they will. I don't think anyone is worried about it being because Bristol City are a much bigger club than us

Sure, if BC, or another (Championship) club, offer silly money, then he will go... but why would they?

So, we want to keep him, he wants to stay, he is not out of contract, and BC won't offer silly money... to repeat, ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Not true
Barnsley did that with Wood by leaving him on the bench and hardly played him. WBA recalled him. Managers don't like it when there players go on loan and don't feature. That's of course if they have no future at the club and are happy just to get shot.
What's not true.

Barnes was 2nd fiddle to Wood, or its possible Gus wants to sell him?

Poyets not going to play Wood for half a season to stop him being recalled!!! He played Wood because he thought Wood was the better option than Barnes.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Argh bless you still towing the Barnes is shit line.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What's not true.

Barnes was 2nd fiddle to Wood, or its possible Gus wants to sell him?

Poyets not going to play Wood for half a season to stop him being recalled!!! He played Wood because he thought Wood was the better option than Barnes.

I've already explained it. Barnes is under contract so no issues there about him being on the bench. If Wood found himself on the bench to often then Poyet is risking WBA pulling the plug on the loan deal. Why would Wood sit on the bench for us when he could do that at WBA?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Too simplistic... Gus has always been positive about Barnes, and I wouldn't say Barnes played 2nd fiddle to Wood or vice versa... the strikers were all rotated... Gus certainly DOES like Barnes as a player; watch how he celebrated Barnes' 20th goal (if that is still possible somewhere)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here