Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cyclists....

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
OI!

As both a cyclist and car driver, I often see a lack of concern for others, on both sides..

like bikers with no lights or even reflectors (very dangerous, if not illegal!) - is your life worth risking, for the sake of a few quid on top of the cos of a bike???

and car drivers- barely giving any space when overtaking, forcing riders into the kerb, or even off the road - just what is your rush??

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

punk:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Firingblanks1 said:
So none of you car drivers have ever broken the speed limit?

Facts:
1. Speed kills.

:salute:

At what speed do you die then if speed kills? Or do you really mean the inapropriate use of speed kills.

Otherwise you might aswell say that carving knives kill.:salute: :salute:

BTW I am a car driver and a cyclist so I can see the good and bad points in both sets of road users before I get flamed.

Last edited:

brighton2win

Aug 21, 2005
i was once turning into a lane on right of the road (i was about 13)

i went into the middle of the road as you do, and some twat in a merc over took just as i woz turning in and almost knocked me off going at about 50mph

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you walk up the pavement of Franklynn Road in Haywards Heath from the town to towards the Princess Royal Hospital you take your life in your hands beacuse invariably some prat comes screaming up behind you on a bike. I have nothing against bikes as I rode one once and also got fined 5s for riding on the pavement doing my paper round. When did the law change to permit bikes on pavements.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Motorists need to realise that cyclists have just as much right to use roads as cars, morally they probably have more right. I will happily go through a red light if no peds OR cars are crossing, it does not hurt anyone.

The only gripe I have about my fellow cyclists is when they roam in packs and block the entire lane for motorists.

I spent many a happy morning cycling from Lewisham to the South Bank up the centre of bus lanes stopping dirty cheatin motorists using them for short-cuts. Fantastic feeling passing loads of stationary cars on your bike, nothing like it apart from *

* refer to borderline boiler thread and references to Arebella Weir.:love:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
When I cycle, I hate car and lorry drivers.
When I drive, I hate cyclists.

And pedestrians are just moving targets, whatever form of transport I use.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Sorry Ned, but speed kills whether it is appropriate or inappropriate. As the advert says "hit a child at 40 and they will die" "hit a child at 30 and he will probably live"
I say as well as banning cars in Btn and Hove and burning Jeremy Clarkson we should reduce speed limits in estates to 20mph and introduce more speed bumps. Never seems to amaze me when I hear complaints from motorists saying they damage their cars...well drive slower over them then!
I admit I too do drive a car and yes as everyone is saying we do have our fair share of cretins on cycles in btn and hove who cycle on pavements and weave in and out of pedestrians with no lights.
But show me one cretin on a bike and I will show you 25 in a car who break the law!
Hopefully the money the city has been awarded as one of the 5 cycle towns in the uk will mean an improvement and more cycle lanes - plus the ability to give some awareness to some of the cretins on bikes who break the law on a cycle.
And finally...for all those cyclists who have had one too many 4x4, driven by a fat lazy bastard nearly knock them off their bike- visit the level on the last Friday of every month for 'Critical Mass'

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by BUTTERBALL
Cyclists - USE THE F**KING CYCLE LANES!

Thats what they are there for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HampshireSeagulls said:
Well STOP PARKING IN THE xxxxxxx THINGS THEN!

:clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
GNF on Tour said:
Motorists need to realise that cyclists have just as much right to use roads as cars, morally they probably have more right.
Do cyclists actually PAY to use the roads ? No. So keep out of my way. Its mine.

I will happily go through a red light if no peds OR cars are crossing, it does not hurt anyone.
Perhaps motorists should also take this relaxed attitude to red lights then. If no-ones coming, lets just ignore the red light and "happily go through" as you say. Won't hurt anyone, will it ? Yes, good thinknig.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dr Feelgood said:
There is no better feeling in the world than pissing off a car driver when you are a cyclist, sheer bliss.
Actually, having some lawless lycra-clad imbecile with 'aerodynamic helmet' and wrap-around sunglasses bouncing across the bonnet would probably rank pretty highly in the "bliss stakes" for me.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Easy 10 said:

Perhaps motorists should also take this relaxed attitude to red lights then. If no-ones coming, lets just ignore the red light and "happily go through" as you say. Won't hurt anyone, will it ? Yes, good thinknig.

Florida allows you to turn right if road is clear against a red light perhaps we should do the same witha left turn.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Easy 10 said:
Actually, having some lawless lycra-clad imbecile with 'aerodynamic helmet' and wrap-around sunglasses bouncing across the bonnet would probably rank pretty highly in the "bliss stakes" for me.

Simple solution. I have those evil steel pedals fitted on my bike (after being knocked off by some silly twat who now has higher insurance premiums and three points on his licence for driving without due care and attention). If you get too close to me, they gouge horrible lines out of the side of your vehicle. Two cars in the last month have found this out to their cost, trying to deliberately close me off at lights. Stopped smiling when they heard the funny scratching sound.....

I am also a ridiculously highly trained military driver, which makes me exceptionally aware of people on two wheels - I haven't hit one yet, but only through my avoidance rather than their ability to understand the rules of the road.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
HampshireSeagulls said:
Simple solution. I have those evil steel pedals fitted on my bike (after being knocked off by some silly twat who now has higher insurance premiums and three points on his licence for driving without due care and attention). If you get too close to me, they gouge horrible lines out of the side of your vehicle.
A very small price to pay in the great scheme of things. I'm not particulalry fussed about keeping my death machine in pristine condition, and the scratches would serve to bring back fond memories of the incident.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easy 10 said:

I thought motorists did.

Most cyclists have an instinct for self-preservation that means they don't ride through red lights. Motorists think they're safe so they'll chance it.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
When the little fuckers ignore red lights sound your horn, I made one fall off a few months back - how I chuckled as I went past him nursing his grazed knee.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gwylan said:
I thought motorists did.

Most cyclists have an instinct for self-preservation that means they don't ride through red lights. Motorists think they're safe so they'll chance it.
The bottom line is, there are shitty inconsiderate motorists and there are shitty inconsiderate cyclists. These debates always go round in circles, and no-one ever comes out "right" or "wrong". I think someone said earlier that when they're driving, they HATE cyclists, and when they're cycling, they HATE motorists. Thats about as good a summing up as I've seen.

But its always a fun debate :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here