Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks for all your help so far. Help has come from a somewhat unlikely source, too. My Dad - who rode a similar bike back in the '80s. He has given me a few hints and tips - I'll watch the video from Stat Brother too. The more I think about it, the more I am determined to have a go myself. After all, the gears are already knackered - so it isn't as if I can ruin anything! (famous last words...)

Now it's been a good 25 years since I did it but I think downtube shifters are simpler than bar ones.

If it's old enough then the gears won't even be indexed so its just a matter of getting it tight then moving the lever to adjust. Adjustment is likely by similar means on the rear mech itself.

I wonder if you'll have an issue with getting the right cable to fit into the lever.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bar ends resulted in no pins & needles today, so a result there. Need some padding though as not especially comfortable.

Still really struggling with the climbs. Never regained my pre hol pace. Bit puzzling really. Could be lack of general fitness as I prepped for the L2B and eased right off afterwards combined with darker starts, so setting off tired and being on the massively less efficient MTB.

Really pleased to have my wheel back so a complete synae again. Maybe I should switch bikes each ride to keep my body working?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Well, one of my bikes is a Puch from the early eighties. The downtube shifters are great fun. I love them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
GEEK MEETING NOW

I've activated the geek signal. Geek in trouble.

Ok so here's the dilemma.
I'm doing Jnr Stats christmas shopping and have about £20 left to spend.
Being a good geek father I pop over to Prendas to see what's what and here's the problem

Cool as fook:-
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=46&ID=3538
2013-11-28-prendas-ciclismo-retro-inspired-polo-gb-great-britain-red-white-blue.jpg

Or what he wants:-
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=50&ID=3394
2013-06-19-team-sky-2010-kids-jersey-by-adidas.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
GEEK MEETING NOW

Being a good geek father I pop over to Prendas to see what's what and here's the problem

View attachment 49286

View attachment 49287

I fail to see the dilemma. Obviously:

View attachment 49286

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think you'll find SB that full kit w-nkers is a term that can't legitimately be applied to kids. Therefore, technically, you'll quite within your rights to purchase item B if that's what he really really wants.

However, you have a duty to ensure he doesn't grow up to think that item A is in any way acceptable for an adult amateur to be wearing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you'll find SB that full kit w-nkers is a term that can't legitimately be applied to kids. Therefore, technically, you'll quite within your rights to purchase item B if that's what he really really wants.

However, you have a duty to ensure he doesn't grow up to think that item A is in any way acceptable for an adult amateur to be wearing.
Nut and shell, what a dilemma.
He'd kill for the Sky jersey, but it's such a slippery slope.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Which is best to keep him riding, and to grow his love for cycling? Do that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is best to keep him riding, and to grow his love for cycling? Do that.
Here's a pic of the only non football wall in jnr's bedroom.

He was quiet in his room for a long time, not long after he finished his first sportive.
I think we can say, for the time being at least, he's a roadie.

broom wall 003.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think kids struggle to see the coolness in the 'retro', at least until they start reaching their teenage years. I imagine for a youngster wearing the same top as Wiggo, Froome, Jones etc. would be a real thrill.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As he's a kid, it would have to be the Sky kit. You can't foist your 'cool' values on to him. He will develop them as he gets older.

My son used to love football shirts - mostly Albion but some foreign ones too. He has out-grown this now - he's 16 - and is beginning to make me proud with his 'cool-ness'.

The same goes for your other recent dilemma actually. My son decided to have Spurs as a Premier team when he was about 12, much to my annoyance. It lasted about a year - his Albion indoctrination was just too strong. I think it may have lasted longer had I raged against it!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
GEEK MEETING NOW

View attachment 49286

View attachment 49287

What he wants, he will see the light one day after your guidance, I am sure the word rapha appears somewhere on the jersey, do you have the green one as an option or the black ones with just the blue armband, they are a bit different at least.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Let him go sky stat. Among his mates he'll be the business and that matters. Third option: the BHA cycling jersey on sale in the shop?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bold and Pogue talked sense into me, Jnr will be a (half) full kit w@nker at Christmas :lol:

HHI, I'm sure there are newer children's sized Sky kits about, maybe even discounted, but that's the only one www.prendas.co.uk stock.
Thinking as I type, Prendas is possibly the only 'brand loyalty' I have.
I haven't shopped with them for a while so it was always going to be that jersey or nothing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think kids struggle to see the coolness in the 'retro', at least until they start reaching their teenage years. I imagine for a youngster wearing the same top as Wiggo, Froome, Jones etc. would be a real thrill.

This is true. At some point in the next few decades the Sky top will become retro and more cool. I have to admit I actually think it's cool already and have one. There, I said it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is true. At some point in the next few decades the Sky top will become retro and more cool. I have to admit I actually think it's cool already and have one. There, I said it.
It would be cool if it weren't the Manchester United shirt of the peloton.

I could have got him an Euskadel jersey, but that's too much!!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Get him this:

20120709-santini-kids-childrens-jersey-uci-world-champion.jpg

Then don't give it to him - make him EARN it!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Bold and Pogue talked sense into me, Jnr will be a (half) full kit w@nker at Christmas :lol:

HHI, I'm sure there are newer children's sized Sky kits about, maybe even discounted, but that's the only one www.prendas.co.uk stock.
Thinking as I type, Prendas is possibly the only 'brand loyalty' I have.
I haven't shopped with them for a while so it was always going to be that jersey or nothing.

I think that's fair enough. I wore my z jersey constantly as a kid, whether I was on a bike or not.

Nurture the enthusiasm then land him with 'the rules' once he's hooked!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dull news day alert!

Saw a police bicycle up close and personal today. 7 speed built for comfort jobby with a huge battery pack and properly fitted lights that are fitted to the mud guards and presumably wired into the battery system as they seemed more like car lights. Was tempted to ask the rider what the 'top speed' was but decided I really wasn't that interested.

In other dull news......Danilo Di Luca finally gets his three strikes and out.

Roll on January and the TDU is all I can say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here