Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm considering cycling to Tolouse. How long would it take to cycle 1,000 km?
Cycling to Toulouse - I think you're stretching the knowledge of us Geeks, BoF.

I'd say it's not going to take as long as you think.
Mathematically speaking a relatively sedate 20kph (12mph) will take 50 hours - 10 hours a day - 5 days. BOOM.

Clearly life isn't that simple.

You wouldn't want to be riding through the Massif Central in 40 degree midday sun.
Or ride for 10 hours into a strong headwind.
Alternatively a 20mph tail wind and you could be there in half the time.
You won't have any Alpes or Pyrenees to get over but it won't be flat.

I'd say you don't have to be as fit as you think to complete such a task.
But you will need to know more about bike mechanics than you currently do.
Don't do it on a brand new bike, you and your riding position need to be comfortable before you start.
Your saddle needs to 'know you'. Your shorts need to be clean.

You could head for Canal de Garonne at Castets-en-Dorthe and easy-peasy towpath it into Toulouse.
Although that would be sooooooooo boring.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I sneaked in a team earlier whilst awaiting the arrival of mini-IL(F)!

(she finally made an appearance at 9.50 this evening!)
Hahahahaha

I read that as older IL was out on the town and didn't get home until the ungodly hour of 21:50.

I was about to wade in on a 'blimey I thought I was a strict dad, rant'.

Glad I didn't it would have been very confusing.

Yay well done to all Indurain's Lungs everywhere, congratulations.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Be careful as they now have a new white version of the Triban 3 which does not have a carbon fork and has non-Shimano gears. So make sure you get the older red model, a very good bike for the money. One thing to note is that even though it has holes in the frame for mudguards it has exteremly small clearance so it's pretty difficult to find ones that'll fit. I ended up using Crud RoadRacers (MK 2) which don't actually use the holes.

Thanks for that -unfortunately they are completely sold out of the red model (and seemingly won't be restocking it). I still think I will go with the Triban 3 because even without the above, the white model is still seems to be remarkable value.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I think I've upset someone on Strava over the weekend. I spent the weekend over in La Plagne 1800, took the DH and Enduro bike, got a shuttle bus back up the 21 bends but left Strava on. KOM! haha, Anyone know how I remove just those segments but keep the rest of the ride?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think I've upset someone on Strava over the weekend. I spent the weekend over in La Plagne 1800, took the DH and Enduro bike, got a shuttle bus back up the 21 bends but left Strava on. KOM! haha, Anyone know how I remove just those segments but keep the rest of the ride?

:lolol:

I did the same recently - a far more minor hill in Brighton...the previous KOM followed me on Strava and congratulated me. I came clean, but have yet to discover how to remove the offending part. Let me know if you find out!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006

I did the same recently - a far more minor hill in Brighton...the previous KOM followed me on Strava and congratulated me. I came clean, but have yet to discover how to remove the offending part. Let me know if you find out!

I imagine if you contact them via the site, they will be able to remove the offending record from the leader board.
There are always people complaining about some 'inventive' totals in the monthly challenges and they are subsequently removed from the lists.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

I didn't get any congratulations, just an email from Strava saying I've been flagged lhaha. I've emailed Strava support, I'll post up their reply if they do reply.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I imagine if you contact them via the site, they will be able to remove the offending record from the leader board.
There are always people complaining about some 'inventive' totals in the monthly challenges and they are subsequently removed from the lists.

I didn't get any congratulations, just an email from Strava saying I've been flagged lhaha. I've emailed Strava support, I'll post up their reply if they do reply.

Go to the Strava support section: https://strava.zendesk.com/home

You may need to start a support ticket, but they will be able to remove the offending segment.

They've helped me when I've mistakenly deleted a whole ride as it duplicated itself, and they've split a ride as well. They take a while to do it though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Cycling to Toulouse - I think you're stretching the knowledge of us Geeks, BoF.

I'd say it's not going to take as long as you think.
Mathematically speaking a relatively sedate 20kph (12mph) will take 50 hours - 10 hours a day - 5 days. BOOM.

Clearly life isn't that simple.

You wouldn't want to be riding through the Massif Central in 40 degree midday sun.
Or ride for 10 hours into a strong headwind.
Alternatively a 20mph tail wind and you could be there in half the time.
You won't have any Alpes or Pyrenees to get over but it won't be flat.

I'd say you don't have to be as fit as you think to complete such a task.
But you will need to know more about bike mechanics than you currently do.
Don't do it on a brand new bike, you and your riding position need to be comfortable before you start.
Your saddle needs to 'know you'. Your shorts need to be clean.

You could head for Canal de Garonne at Castets-en-Dorthe and easy-peasy towpath it into Toulouse.
Although that would be sooooooooo boring.

Lots to think about! Thanks.

I see that the South Downs has been given some money for improvements, which include 34 miles of new routes!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23657010

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lots to think about! Thanks.

I see that the South Downs has been given some money for improvements, which include 34 miles of new routes!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23657010
That's said with no knowledge just me spouting!!.
I think Pogue has done LeJog, well someone has, their knowledge on touring would be better, mine is just general.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I found that the (Decathlon) website always showed the bike as out of stock, but if you ring a store they quite often have them in stock.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I found that the (Decathlon) website always showed the bike as out of stock, but if you ring a store they quite often have them in stock.

Ah, thanks! I will pop round to the local one this week, it isn't far away (and the other half happens to enjoy going to ikea, which is next door).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I sneaked in a team earlier whilst awaiting the arrival of mini-IL(F)!

(she finally made an appearance at 9.50 this evening!)

Congratulations! Hope mother and baby are doing well.

Meanwhile.....Not that you'll have time of course, but for the rest of us:

[yt]upKOAPlpQOY[/yt]

Mar 12, 2008
I'm a little late to the party, but a big shout to SB for sorting out the caps. I was out of the office on Friday, which is where they were delivered, so I didn't get my grubby mits on them until today. My work colleague and fellow cyclist was also a very grateful recipient of an NSC cycling geeks hat. I suppose he better sign up to NSC now...

When is the next sportive boys? These caps need an outing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a little late to the party, but a big shout to SB for sorting out the caps. I was out of the office on Friday, which is where they were delivered, so I didn't get my grubby mits on them until today. My work colleague and fellow cyclist was also a very grateful recipient of an NSC cycling geeks hat. I suppose he better sign up to NSC now...

When is the next sportive boys? These caps need an outing.
It's never too late to tell me how great I am :lolol:

(not that you did, but I'm needy :lol:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry chaps t'is a bit more me me me.

A cap has been worn in action.
There's a juniors meeting at a local go-kart track, Jnr stat went for his first ever race.

He'll be sleeping well tonight:-

Attachments

• l birthdqy IOW zoo, M's first bike race 071.jpg
    l birthdqy IOW zoo, M's first bike race 071.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • l birthdqy IOW zoo, M's first bike race 074.jpg
    l birthdqy IOW zoo, M's first bike race 074.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • l birthdqy IOW zoo, M's first bike race 081.jpg
    l birthdqy IOW zoo, M's first bike race 081.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 41

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports