Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just google cake stop, im sure it'll come up.
Ill find out the brewery in the morning.

The google you want is 'cake stop cycling'.

I've asked elsewhere as to who the brewery might be, but not every forum is like NSC.
I'm not expecting, the right answer x5, that leading to comedy answers x10, a pun run, and a slagging off, all before I've finished my Frosties. So the answer might be a little while.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
There's a huge difference between 'the cake stop' (or 'tea hut' as it's known in my parts) and a 'cycling cafe'. This is your new-fangled 'cycling cafe': http://www.lookmumnohands.com/ and this is your (well, my!) tea hut: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgeezer/3560368494/

I know where people out on a Sunday ride end up for sustenance, and where hipsters hang out with their £7 panini and espresso...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mmmmmmm. Cycling is appealing to me more and more. Now I think about it, there were always lots of cyclists at that Carats place along the coast in front of the power station.

I was there on Sunday, cycled up there with the family, you couldn't move for cyclists! Crawley Wanderers CC were down, plus lots of others. My wife got all uppety when I couldn't take my eyes off someone's Colnago!

Mar 12, 2008
The better half of Sussex shouldn't be forgotten in all of this:-

Harting Down, the tough ascent not the one the boys did last week.

3 different ascents over Goodwood, Singleton, The Trundle, the climb half way along Selhurst Pk.
All a stones throw from Duncton.

There's a secret climb behind Bignor Roman Villa, probably the steepest of them all.

4 climbs up to Whiteways.

Steyning Bostal.

There's not much under 20%, all par Harting within 10 miles.
That'll sort out the men from the boys.

Very much this. I couldn't fnd the Bignor climb when I was last in the area, although I now know where I went wrong. Will get a picture when I finally drag myself up it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The better half of Sussex shouldn't be forgotten in all of this:-

Harting Down, the tough ascent not the one the boys did last week.

3 different ascents over Goodwood, Singleton, The Trundle, the climb half way along Selhurst Pk.
All a stones throw from Duncton.

There's a secret climb behind Bignor Roman Villa, probably the steepest of them all.

4 climbs up to Whiteways.

Steyning Bostal.

There's not much under 20%, all par Harting within 10 miles.
That'll sort out the men from the boys.

There's also Horsebridge Hill, heading south from Wisborough Green toward Fittleworth. Nasty climb, very steep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very much this. I couldn't fnd the Bignor climb when I was last in the area, although I now know where I went wrong. Will get a picture when I finally drag myself up it.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en

If the map doesn't work Google Maps Bignor Roman Palace.

This gets you down the short sharp climb

Go right to left in front of the Palace.
Head to Bignor.
Follow round up to Sutton, either way doesn't matter.
The descent (in this case) is at Mill Copse.
***chances are the bottom will be wet and gravelly***
Head to Sutton.
Then up to The Burton Park Road.
Obviously left and left gets you to Duncton.

When coming down Duncton.
The little road before the bend to Barlavington, Folly Lane, is a nice little route, (assuming a land Rover isn't coming the other way!!)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Who was it drew me into the foreign supermarket deals? Aldi and Lidle have offer days coming up. Both have a pretty useful tinkering stand on offer.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Who was it drew me into the foreign supermarket deals? Aldi and Lidle have offer days coming up. Both have a pretty useful tinkering stand on offer.

Does it come with somewhere to put it that won't be in the way?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is it not collapsible? Arse.

Just read that a 17 year old girl is the first Boris- bike fatality. That's really upsetting.

Oh SB, I did a proper 50 miler this morning. Well settled into the toe clips. Stayed in the saddle for all the climbs. Just might venture out tomorrow...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh SB, I did a proper 50 miler this morning. Well settled into the toe clips. Stayed in the saddle for all the climbs. Just might venture out tomorrow...

Yeah, but were you breathing through your nose?

Well done Moto. I took the morning off, had a lie in. Bliss.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just read that a 17 year old girl is the first Boris- bike fatality. That's really upsetting...

TBH I'm surprised that's the first.

As sad as it is, I'd have thought it would be in double figures, after a year +.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a minor heart attack today.

Our caps manufacturer have had my email address for 4-6 weeks now, in that time all communication has been done through my account, with obvious email alerts.
Today I get 'another' email, boom, heart in mouth, the lot.
No it wasn't that one, I think we still have a week + yet before I start pacing around for that one.

It turns out they were just advertising the fact they have produced stuff for Lampre, inc their TTT skin suit.

Pretty cool, or am I just easily pleased?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Had a look at a fixie yesterday. Stop reading if you know... Conversion entails 1. remove rear wheel, 2. fix a cog on the other side and 3 put wheel back on but the other way around. I guess thats how you spot a fixie from a single? I suppose all well and good if you live somewhere pretty level.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I'm in the market for a new Cycling computer, with a budget of around £150.

Been looking at the Garmin edge 200 (£100) and the Garmin edge 500 (£150+).

Any other ones?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There are quite a few brands. I'm sort of looking too. Garmin seems to be the most liked. The difference between the 200 and the 500 is an altimeter and the ability to add cadence and heart rate. Seeing as how there are now an 810 and a 510, I wonder if the 200s are on the way out - a 210 to follow? You can get a 200 via tesco direct if you vouchers which double up, so brand new for £54.50s worth. No similar deal for the 500 sadly.

Or a smartphone app if you have one.

Avoid ebay. The way the bidding goes, you'd think no more GPS devices are ever going to be built.

The 510 looks the business even though bigger than most. You pay for it though.

You don't need a computer to log your rides on strava!

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
There are quite a few brands. I'm sort of looking too. Garmin seems to be the most liked. The difference between the 200 and the 500 is an altimeter and the ability to add cadence and heart rate. Seeing as how there are now an 810 and a 510, I wonder if the 200s are on the way out - a 210 to follow? You can get a 200 via tesco direct if you vouchers which double up, so brand new for £54.50s worth. No similar deal for the 500 sadly.

Or a smartphone app if you have one.

Avoid ebay. The way the bidding goes, you'd think no more GPS devices are ever going to be built.

The 510 looks the business even though bigger than most. You pay for it though.

You don't need a computer to log your rides on strava!

Been told that the Tesco Summer clubcard exchange has closed, however I will most likely end up buying the Garmin edge 200 via Wiggle as I prob wont use the extra features. (esp. the heart rate, as i don't like being told I should be dead).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here