Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thomas made it in with the bus at 9 minutes down, a supreme effort in the circumstances.

With G and Sky's El Abd struggling, I'm taking taking them out of my TTT plans.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cracking summary Bold!!

Agree. A cracking report from Bold Seagull. All I can say about my Contador style attack is that, boy it looks the part, but all style and no substance.

A few other observations on the route:

A) we live in a most beautiful part of the world. The lanes and roads that the organisers took us down were wonderful - quiet, fast and relatively pot hole free.

B) Tis true I lost the pace after 80 miles. I'm afraid I'm not as fit as my team members. This should tell you all something. The long one is there for all to do. It's tough, but if you've done a London to Brighton then you can do this. Just pack enough food and take your time.

C) Winchester Hill is a barsteward. It's a long old drag and for those of us from East Sussex, when you get to the top and see a sign saying Winchester 7 miles, then you know you are a long way from home.

D) Bold Seagull is a gentleman. We got into a mini peloton of about 8 riders for a few miles. Obviously you want to take turns to help keep the pack moving. One of our number was a pretty fit girl (and I mean she had lungs on her so all calm down). Bold Seagull showed us how to treat a lady by letting her go first for about 5 miles before eventually taking a turn on the front. I actually think he was having trouble keeping up.

E) spreadbetting has a great looking Raleigh. Made me fall in love with the brand again.

F) Pogue Mahone is a riding hustler. We start the day with "Oooo I banged my knee yesterday, you'll have to wait for me on the hills" and then at 100 miles he's like a bloody steam train whilst I'm like some drowning man gasping for breath after every pedal. To be fair I'd blown up like Cavendish on a category 3 long before that (and no, I'm not comparing myself to Cav.)

Would be great to get some more NSCers out on the next sportive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of our number was a pretty fit girl (and I mean she had lungs on her so all calm down). Bold Seagull showed us how to treat a lady by letting her go first for about 5 miles before eventually taking a turn on the front.
***StatBrother in sportive reminiscing shocker***
Apologies but that has bought back a particular memory.

Myself and a mate were hacking along pretty rapidly, I was second wheel.
Then all of a sudden he slowed right down.
I waited and waited for something to happen, car, junction, etc. Nothing.
I waited a little more, and finally we shot off again.

Overtaking a woman wearing cycling shorts so worn out, they were virtually see through.

He was so close (Olympic track close) I had no idea she was even there.
Filthy creep.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
***StatBrother in sportive reminiscing shocker***
Apologies but that has bought back a particular memory.

Myself and a mate were hacking along pretty rapidly, I was second wheel.
Then all of a sudden he slowed right down.
I waited and waited for something to happen, car, junction, etc. Nothing.
I waited a little more, and finally we shot off again.

Overtaking a woman wearing cycling shorts so worn out, they were virtually see through.

He was so close (Olympic track close) I had no idea she was even there.
Filthy creep.

I'd like to point out that I was in no way suggesting that Bold Seagull was doing the same. Far from it. We just couldn't keep up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Moto I gave that comment a Roger Moore eyebrow, too.

I trained up to a point where 70/80 miles were comfortable enough, (around the roads the fellas were on at the weekend) for a 100 mile event, and still the last 20 were tough going.

50 to 124 is a huge leap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 3, Stage 5: Cagnes-sur-mer - Marseille 228.5km

stage_05_map_600_670.jpg

stage_05_profile_600_670.jpg

Not too sure about tomorrow.
It looks like a stage to encourage a breakaway, but having missed out on stage one, I think the sprinters will take it.

Cav (I don't care how ill he is)
Griepel
Boohoo.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Moto I gave that comment a Roger Moore eyebrow, too.

I trained up to a point where 70/80 miles were comfortable enough, (around the roads the fellas were on at the weekend) for a 100 mile event, and still the last 20 were tough going.

50 to 124 is a huge leap.

Ok, agree. And at 90 if you'd have offered me a hot bath and a beer I'd have taken it. But it can be done. You can go through it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd like to point out that I was in no way suggesting that Bold Seagull was doing the same. Far from it. We just couldn't keep up.

She wasn't the only female rider I tailed though to be fair....:blush:

I felt I was reasonable in taking the front for at least a while!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Ok, geek question time.

Can someone please explain the continuing fashion for fixies which seems to only be getting more and more intense? Looking at old road bikes on ebay nearly every other advert seems to say..."can easily be converted to a fixie" or "ideal fixie project" etc etc.

Having never ridden a fixie, or ever had a desire to do so as everywhere is hills where I live, I'm struggling to see the attraction. Can someone explain please? Cue teaboy I think?

I'm sure somewhere on this thread I launched a rant of quite some ferocity against the modern fashion for fixies. I'm not gonna try and find it though as this thread has got too long for searching back now. Track bikes I understand, riding fixed in Brighton? Just stupid.

I don't ride a 'fixie', and I consider the conversion of classic road bikes to 'fixies' akin to rape. I commute in London on a Track bike, but with brakes, and love it. It makes every ride a points race as you accelerate with the traffic. You observe better, and further up the road to control your speed for traffic lights. Riding fixed (and concentrating properly) can teach you a smoother pedalling technique and eliminate dead spots. It can teach you to pedal at an increased cadence too. It's good for a touch of HTFU too - you have no option but to dig in on hills. Granted I've never ridden up anything 'proper' on it though (probably about as big as West Street from seafront to clock tower is the biggest hill I've ridden). Oh, and they're easy to fix as there's very little that can break!

The thing I really don't understand is the 'urban single-speed' thing - not fixed wheel, not geared, and look bloody awful.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't ride a 'fixie', and I consider the conversion of classic road bikes to 'fixies' akin to rape. I commute in London on a Track bike, but with brakes, and love it. It makes every ride a points race as you accelerate with the traffic. You observe better, and further up the road to control your speed for traffic lights. Riding fixed (and concentrating properly) can teach you a smoother pedalling technique and eliminate dead spots. It can teach you to pedal at an increased cadence too. It's good for a touch of HTFU too - you have no option but to dig in on hills. Granted I've never ridden up anything 'proper' on it though (probably about as big as West Street from seafront to clock tower is the biggest hill I've ridden). Oh, and they're easy to fix as there's very little that can break!

The thing I really don't understand is the 'urban single-speed' thing - not fixed wheel, not geared, and look bloody awful.

I don't think I can ride more than 1km from my house in any direction and not have to come back home up a hill that makes West Street look like your typical road in East Anglia. This is probably why I've never really understood the idea of a bike with no gear options. Your explanation of why it works for you is a good one though and one I can understand, to a point.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I don't think I can ride more than 1km from my house in any direction and not have to come back home up a hill that makes West Street look like your typical road in East Anglia. This is probably why I've never really understood the idea of a bike with no gear options. Your explanation of why it works for you is a good one though and one I can understand, to a point.

I might have to bring it down to sunny Sussex just to see where my knees pop on Bear Road!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I might have to bring it down to sunny Sussex just to see where my knees pop on Bear Road!

It is amusing watching the skinny jeaned haircuts trying to ride their bikes up Brighton's proper hills. Love overtaking them in some stupidly low gear whirring a silly high cadence, just because I can. Giving them a lingering look with one eyebrow raised as I pass. :lolol:

Then once they cannot see me, I start to struggle, Bear Road, Southover, Albion Hill, The Drove all killers. I would like to put together some sort of Brighton King of the Mountains route it would be good as a challenge.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It is amusing watching the skinny jeaned haircuts trying to ride their bikes up Brighton's proper hills. Love overtaking them in some stupidly low gear whirring a silly high cadence, just because I can. Giving them a lingering look with one eyebrow raised as I pass. :lolol:

Then once they cannot see me, I start to struggle, Bear Road, Southover, Albion Hill, The Drove all killers. I would like to put together some sort of Brighton King of the Mountains route it would be good as a challenge.

I think Strava probably got there before you... I still think I'd rather ride up those on fixed-wheel than down them!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think Strava probably got there before you... I still think I'd rather ride up those on fixed-wheel than down them!

True enough, gives me the fear just thinking about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here