Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is amusing watching the skinny jeaned haircuts trying to ride their bikes up Brighton's proper hills. Love overtaking them in some stupidly low gear whirring a silly high cadence, just because I can. Giving them a lingering look with one eyebrow raised as I pass. :lolol:

Then once they cannot see me, I start to struggle, Bear Road, Southover, Albion Hill, The Drove all killers. I would like to put together some sort of Brighton King of the Mountains route it would be good as a challenge.

I think Strava probably got there before you... I still think I'd rather ride up those on fixed-wheel than down them!

Sounds like some Strava action is required! Tempted to pop out, climb Bear Road, descend Wilson Ave, then from Marine Parade climb back up Freshfield Road, descend Bear Road down to Lewes Road, then climb back up The Drove before back to the coast and back home. Nice.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
NSC Cycling Geeks Hill-Climb?! I'll bring my 'proper' bike though, if that's ok. :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sounds like some Strava action is required! Tempted to pop out, climb Bear Road, descend Wilson Ave, then from Marine Parade climb back up Freshfield Road, descend Bear Road down to Lewes Road, then climb back up The Drove before back to the coast and back home. Nice.

The Drove is one way going downhill though unfortunately. I basically live at the top of the steep bit, not tried it yet but it is not the best road to ride the wrong way, very narrow at the top.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm transferred up for breakaway Friday.

I've left 35 points and 1 transfer in the bank, it's going to be a long long time until they close the transfers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No guts, no glory!
I don't know what came over me, I'm only carrying 13 points.

Would it have been your team I was casting an eye over, earlier?
Rammed with some big point scorers, I was surprised you'd fitted them all in.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
***Off Tour Topic***

Wiggle Cycling Series - The Long One (MAP)

@Bold Seagull @Pogue Mahone @Hamilton @Spreadbetting Seagull

For me, The Long One started the day before with lots of short ones....that is, lots of short ones to the karzi. A planned day of carb loading turned into a day of evacuations. Finally, I took the advice of whichever page on Google came up first and tried the B.A.R.T cure (Banana, Apple, Rice, Toast). This seemed to work, and a 05.00 getting the bike ready, I felt sure that I could hold it together.

So, me and Pogue travelled together to the illustrious surroundings of Fontwell race course, and duly met an apprehensive looking Hamilton and Spreadbetting at the start line. The tension was palpable as the 124 miles, 7400 ft of climbing hit home like a Matt Prior cover drive.

The start was shambolic. We turned right out of the Fontwell car park, and hanging onto the wheel of another group we sailed past the very first left turn we were supposed to take. Luckily, Pogue spotted the error, and 10 or so cyclists, all 500 yrds into 124 ride, turned around on a busy road. Numpties.

We were soon off though, and throughout the ride the scenery was simply stunning. If I was to heap praise on these organised sportives, it is that you are treated to some of the most dramatically picturesque quiet roads and lanes you could wish for. We sailed past village, brook, valley, wood, hillock, pillock...no, well there was the odd van driver.

We made the first feed stop 32 miles into the journey in good time, and proceeded to stuff our faces with flapjacks and jaffa cakes like rampant zombies taking mankind by surprise (or something). We got ourselves sorted, and were on our way again, with Hamilton setting a harsh pace.

In fact, on probably the hardest climb, Hamilton was out of the saddle early doors, Contador style, blissfully cruising this impending doomful looking hill. This likeness to Contador lasted for approx. 10 secs and was promptly replaced with some harsh breathing and repeated looks at his rear cogs as if in disbelief that he was already as low as he could go. Meanwhile, Pogue was happily getting up it in his granny gears like the proverbial tortoise - this proved to be the case later on.

We had a couple more big climbs before the 2nd feed station at the half way stage. This next feedstation, with the sun out, some nice grass to lie down on proved a temptation to just kick back and relax for a while, or 2 hours, or wait for the wiggle van to take us back! But no, Pogue wanted to get on, he roused the troops, 'come on, lets get going...' we reluctantly obliged, only for him to get a puncture before he got out of the feedstation car park. I suppose that this is the best place to get one really, especially with a track pump handy. Karma has a funny way with the world, and I wondered whether Pogue's early comment when passing a couple of puncture victims only 10 miles into the event 'how do you get a puncture this early', came back to bite.

So, Pogue had spare tubes, roused everyone again, we're already to depart.....oh hold on, Pogue's Strava app isn't working....just, oh wait.....it's not recording......

We did get going eventually.

At this point it was noted that I'm a busy cyclist. Arm warmers on, arm warmers off, fig roll, energy gel, flap jack, arm warmers again. I was told following me was like watching a magician from behind as their slight of hand bemuses the audience out front. They didn't appear to mind the slipstream I was providing though.

So as we approached 80 miles, Hamilton, with his early bursts, and pace setting when he hit the front blew up like Devon Loch seeing the finish line. Actually, it wasn't like Devon Loch, but being really loyal, compassionate, NSC comrades, we did let him disappear out of the back, looked at each other, and nodded that we were sure he'd be all right.

We hit Winchester Hill with some fatigue, and in my case a full bladder. I attacked our group halfway up, and they responded by simply going the same pace they were going. I felt good, I needed to get to the summit, get my KoM and empty the necessary's. Only I stopped short of the summit, relieved myself, got caught by the rest, only to realise the summit was around the corner with a bit more climbing to go. Schoolboy error.

Is this going on to long!!??

It was The Long One!

90 miles in we expected the final feed station in Hambledon. We went through Hambledon, climbed another epic hill to the home and origins of English cricket, and away with empty bottles, and hunger hitting hard. Through Clanfield, where is this bloody feed station!!

At this point it was just me and Pogue in a joint breakaway as Spreadbetting had now joined Hamilton in having legs like iron crowbars. I then desperately waved down a Wiggle patrol van.....water.....we must have water.......feedstation is 6 miles down the road mate, we moved it. Brilliant. Luckily the 6 miles was mainly downhill or flat.

So at 104 miles, we feed and watered, and with Hamilton and Spreadbetting joining up again we set off together for the final 20 miles. We were together for about 700 yrds until Hamilton and Spreadbetting dropped out the back again, and myself and Pogue decided what was required was a relentless pace to the finish.

We then got latched onto by a group of about 8 cyclists, who just allowed either myself or Pogue to take the front. Pogue got maddened by this, and finally one of them gave us a break. But only one. There was a guy in a pink cap, all chatty, but a cycling *******. A cling on, a dandy, a magpie. Taking everyone's wheel for miles, he then takes my wheel as I set off for a burst up our final climb past Goodwood. At the summit he then smiles at me all friendly, 10 miles of not being on the front, and accelerates off....Tit.

But that was only a minor irritation on a fantastic days cycling. We all finished it eventually with a great feeling of achievement, and a job well done. I even managed a sprint finish....sort of. Spreadbetting and Hamilton were not long after, and we had all achieved a very impressive days cycling.

A highly recommended route, good facilities, all in all a great sportive.

Can't wait for next year, especially with our NSC Caps!!

This.

Brilliant report Bold. See you at Whitehawk!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Would be interesting to see what would prove toughest on a KOM challenge between Brighton & Hastings. Obviously Brighton is a bigger area and so probably has more hills to choose from, but we have quite a few leg breakers over here that's for sure. If anyone can tell me the gradient of Richmond Street (Hastings) I'd very much appreciate it as it's crazy steep, but very very short.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Would be interesting to see what would prove toughest on a KOM challenge between Brighton & Hastings. Obviously Brighton is a bigger area and so probably has more hills to choose from, but we have quite a few leg breakers over here that's for sure. If anyone can tell me the gradient of Richmond Street (Hastings) I'd very much appreciate it as it's crazy steep, but very very short.

Well, I've counted bricks of a wall at the top of the road using google street view (because I have so many things better to do....) and I reckon it's about 27%!

Great for interval training!

Screen Shot 2013-07-04 at 21.38.28.png

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well, I've counted bricks of a wall at the top of the road using google street view (because I have so many things better to do....) and I reckon it's about 27%!

Great for interval training!

View attachment 44459

Having ridden up Chick Hill in nearby Pett which is actually marked as being 25%, my guess is also around 27% for Richmond Street.

Not sure if you're joking about the brick counting or not, but this is the geek thread after all so I wouldn't be surprised if you did actually do it. So thanks for that because I wouldn't have been arsed to even if I'd thought of it :thumbsup:

I once tried to work out gradients by using Google Earth and following a tutorial but I was too thick to get results unfortunately. I'd love to know the exact gradients of nearby Robertsons Hill. Is there a simple way I can find out do you know?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The better half of Sussex shouldn't be forgotten in all of this:-

Harting Down, the tough ascent not the one the boys did last week.

3 different ascents over Goodwood, Singleton, The Trundle, the climb half way along Selhurst Pk.
All a stones throw from Duncton.

There's a secret climb behind Bignor Roman Villa, probably the steepest of them all.

4 climbs up to Whiteways.

Steyning Bostal.

There's not much under 20%, all par Harting within 10 miles.
That'll sort out the men from the boys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read in The Guardian that an (unnamed) brewery is going to open a chain of 10 cycle cafes..first one is in Brighton. Anyone know anything about this..and which brewery?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I read in The Guardian that an (unnamed) brewery is going to open a chain of 10 cycle cafes..first one is in Brighton. Anyone know anything about this..and which brewery?
Nope, but cycle cafes have, unsurprisingly, been bubbling just under the radar for a couple of years.
Their profiles have been slowly increasing, as the 'cake stop' aspect of cycling becomes more widely known.

It was only a matter of time, so I guess the time is now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope, but cycle cafes have, unsurprisingly, been bubbling just under the radar for a couple of years.
Their profiles have been slowly increasing, as the 'cake stop' aspect of cycling becomes more widely known.

It was only a matter of time, so I guess the time is now.

What's the 'cake stop aspect'? Do you literally just stop for cake and a coffee?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What's the 'cake stop aspect'? Do you literally just stop for cake and a coffee?

In the middle of a long ride, maybe 30 miles from home, on a wet and windy day, when there's a group of you, it can be tempting to stop at a cafe for a bit of a break. I don't like doing it myself, but was recently persuaded that a bacon sandwich at that interesting looking cafe in Littlehampton was a good idea. And another time at Bill's in Lewes. Actually, I do quite like doing it.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hell yeah, you've earned it!!.
There's a whole string of independent cafes on popular routes selling, homemade cake coffee and puncture repair kits.
As said its a sub-culture that has past the rest of the country by, until recently.

Just google cake stop, im sure it'll come up.
Ill find out the brewery in the morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I can't be doing with it as I hate stopping and can never get going afterwards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the middle of a long ride, maybe 30 miles from home, on a wet and windy day, when there's a group of you, it can be tempting to stop at a cafe for a bit of a break. I don't like doing it myself, but was recently persuaded that a bacon sandwich at that interesting looking cafe in Littlehampton was a good idea. And another time at Bill's in Lewes. Actually, I do quite like doing it.

Mmmmmmm. Cycling is appealing to me more and more. Now I think about it, there were always lots of cyclists at that Carats place along the coast in front of the power station.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mmmmmmm. Cycling is appealing to me more and more. Now I think about it, there were always lots of cyclists at that Carats place along the coast in front of the power station.

One things for sure, we are talking about 2 very different cafes.

I'm on about Mrs Miggins cafe with big cakes, big coffee, a teddy bear wearing a club cap on a far shelf, and 3 inches of condensation on the window.

You're talking about a light, high ceiling cafe with frames suspended from it, framed copied jerseys on the wall, and Lances 7 victories constantly being played on a loop.

Yonks ago I was stuck for a g/f's birthday present, so I gave her a handful of cash and a catalogue to an upcoming auction. (A cracking idea) So we did the viewing, she spied a couple of bits, and went back for the auction in the afternoon.

I wasn't paying much attention but did notice a nice original 1950's cycling poster, you know the sort of thing.
That lot came up quite early and I didn't have my pooh together as everything was so quick and a little exciting.

It turned out to be one of 15 posters from around the war era, that the auctioneer struggled to sell the lot for about £20, while I was thinking 'hang on a minute there was more'.

Exactly the sort of thing that, nicely framed, could be sold to this mystery brewery for £100 a piece. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here