Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alasdair Maclennan ‏@alasdaircycling
Ha! Ha! Took JTL for Worlds e/w @ 300/1 yesterday. Now 50/1 #whatadifferenceadaymakes
Retweeted by William Fotheringham

Don't know where he (whoever he is) got that from, but it's the bet I've been looking for.

Mar 12, 2008
Did anyone make it to Surrey for today's final stage? I got myself up Barhatch Lane and watched from the final corner before the KOM finish line, fantastic atmosphere.

Cat 1 climb averaging over 9%, 20% in places, and nearly 1 mile in length. It was like a longer version of Steyning Bostal, not pleasant!

Stage win for Cav and overall victory for JTL, superb day all round.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did anyone make it to Surrey for today's final stage? I got myself up Barhatch Lane and watched from the final corner before the KOM finish line, fantastic atmosphere.

Cat 1 climb averaging over 9%, 20% in places, and nearly 1 mile in length. It was like a longer version of Steyning Bostal, not pleasant!

Good stuff!, glad to hear you had a great day out. We had planned to go today but didn't in the end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just so long as you're not implying Steyning bostal is pleasant. :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I live in Reigate, stage started outside my kids school and the peleton was led up by some kids from the school and my boy's teacher from last year. My Kids were on the telly right at the start too. :)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Really brilliant scenes yesterday, ToB really on the map this year, Viva the Surrey hills and a lot more of that. Working away this week, anyone know the TV schedule for the worlds, beat its all bleddin red button and non recordable.

Team TT's going to be an odd start

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Really brilliant scenes yesterday, ToB really on the map this year, Viva the Surrey hills and a lot more of that. Working away this week, anyone know the TV schedule for the worlds, beat its all bleddin red button and non recordable.

I'm pretty certain ITV don't have any of it :( So as I don't have Sky I'll be trying to get an internet stream for Sunday rather than pay another month's Europlayer subs. I might just be home in time from work to catch the last gubbings of the ITT on Wednesday.

Which reminds me...Heads up all, there's a fantasy team to pick for Wednesday's ITT.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Traditionally the BBC has always covered it.

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007

Looks like there may be highlights of the men and womens road race at the weekend, but mainly red button and some on the website too.

The provisional start list is out for the time trial and Froome has pulled out to focus on the road race, it's a shame it wasn't decided two days ago then Thomas could have taken his spot as it is we will only have one entrant.

Has everyone picked their fantasy line up yet? I presume it will be unlimited changes before the road race too?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like there may be highlights of the men and womens road race at the weekend, but mainly red button and some on the website too.

The provisional start list is out for the time trial and Froome has pulled out to focus on the road race, it's a shame it wasn't decided two days ago then Thomas could have taken his spot as it is we will only have one entrant.

Has everyone picked their fantasy line up yet? I presume it will be unlimited changes before the road race too?

I did a provisional team pick last night from a massive list of riders. Just gone back again this evening and the list has now been whittled down to 3 pages. Oh, and yes, unlimited picks for both ITT and road race.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I did a provisional team pick last night from a massive list of riders. Just gone back again this evening and the list has now been whittled down to 3 pages. Oh, and yes, unlimited picks for both ITT and road race.

Bit less predictable for the TT this year. Genuinely not sure who to pick, and Martin isn't necessarily a definite this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit less predictable for the TT this year. Genuinely not sure who to pick, and Martin isn't necessarily a definite this year.
I slung him in, over Bert.
But that's just politics not racing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I slung him in, over Bert.
But that's just politics not racing.

Must admit I did refrain from picking Farrari in the Giro because of politics, but if I succumbed to that every time I'd be struggling to pick a half decent team for a lot of the season.

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007
BBC's cycling road world championships coverage http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19609053

BBC TV and the BBC Sport website will have live coverage of the 2012 Cycling Road World Championships elite races.

Sunday 16 September: Men and women's team time trial, live on red button and BBC Sport website 13:55-16:00

Tuesday 18 September: Women's individual time trial, live on red button and BBC Sport website 14:00-16:15

Wednesday 19 September: Men's individual time trial, live on red button and BBC Sport website 13:55-16:00

Saturday 22 September: Women's road race, Live on red button 13:20-17:00 & BBC1 15:30-16:30

Sunday 23 September: Men's road race, Live on red button 09:35-16:15 & red button & BBC2 15:15-17:00

Thats from the BBC Website.

Must admit I have gone for Contador over Martin as the course looks to suit him better, would have preferred 6 DS riders for this race as struggling to pick 4 affordable stars to go with my Domestiques.

Mar 12, 2008
Just so long as you're not implying Steyning bostal is pleasant. :lol:

Certainly not! Although I do creep over it once or twice a week. Can you recommend any other killer climbs in Sussex?

My regular route takes in the hills of Bury, Duncton and Houghton. After work I sometimes spin up Devils Dyke but I'm yet to do Ditchling Beacon.

I'm doing the Dorking to Dorking sportive in October, need to up the training!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Certainly not! Although I do creep over it once or twice a week. Can you recommend any other killer climbs in Sussex?

My regular route takes in the hills of Bury, Duncton and Houghton. After work I sometimes spin up Devils Dyke but I'm yet to do Ditchling Beacon.

I'm doing the Dorking to Dorking sportive in October, need to up the training!
The killerest isn't really a climb just a couple of hundred yard anomaly, which you probably know anyway.

Coming down off Bury turn left to the Roman Palace, head towards Sutton, and you'll go down a log flume of a road.

Obviously from then your off to Fittleworth Duncton etc, try that in reverse!.

Or instead of going up to Goodwood from The Open Air Museum which is hard enough, the climb up the other side of the course, is also nasty. Eastdeanhill Road, from East Dean.
You won't find many Sky World Champ jerseys going up there.

Last edited:

Mar 12, 2008
The killerest isn't really a climb just a couple of hundred yard anomaly, which you probably know anyway.

Coming down off Bury turn left to the Roman Palace, head towards Sutton, and you'll go down a log flume of a road.

Obviously from then your off to Fittleworth Duncton etc, try that in reverse!.

Or instead of going up to Goodwood from The Open Air Museum which is hard enough, the climb up the other side of the course, is also nasty. Eastdeanhill Road, from East Dean.
You won't find many Sky World Champ jerseys going up there.

Yes that is one hell of a little climb! I've achieved rear wheel spin there after picking up water from the little bridge. Crazy gradient.

Cool, I will give the Goodwood area a go. Just had a look on google maps and they seem perfect. In a sadistic kind of way.

Cheers SB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Turning left at the top of Eastdean past Selhurst Park (spit), then right, then left to Eartham.
That's a fantastic descent, we try and see how far you can get without pedaling.
It's only a couple of bends from the George & Dragon!

Then Your Slindon, Fairmile Bottom Whiteways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here