Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes that is one hell of a little climb! I've achieved rear wheel spin there after picking up water from the little bridge. Crazy gradient.
My mates bike slide right out from under him he cracked his head (with helmet on, that shattered), at the top, behind me.
I stopped 2/3rds of the way down, then obviously couldn't cycle back up.
So hopped off, but then had to try and 'run' to the top in cleats saying don't worry I'm coming. :lol:
By the time I'd got there he was conscious and laughing at me, fookin hilarious.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, this made me chuckle, some elements of truth perhaps!?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

I quite liked rule 11:
Rule #11 // Family does not come first. The bike does.
Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On another note, I was just out for a ride and overtook a bloke who must have been about 17 stone on a spanking new bianchi with, what looked like, super record eps (and celeste bar tape, Stat! ). He was doing about 10 miles an hour on it! The worst part though was that he was wearing sky team shorts and a sky world champion's jersey!

Wearing world or national champions jerseys is a big no-no in my book!

Talking of idiots on Bianchi's, please meet my first extramarital affair, I'm genuinely in love...:love:

Just been out for a Shoreham-Fulking-Devils Dyke loop - glorious day!

p.s. I'm 13.5st, and definitely not in full team kit! :cool:
Bianchi Infinito.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done, we all knew you'd buy it!

Change the bar tape and you're away. :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
You've opened up a complete can of worms with this one. There has been an explosion in people cycling since I was racing but I'm still of the opinion that wearing a complete trade team kit is extremely naff. Plain shorts and a trade jersey can be just about got away with. Better to stick with something cool and retro (e.g Z, Reynolds etc.) but again not matching (colour co-ordination allowed). Matching kit only allowed when wearing your own team's kit.

Basically, the amount of matching kit should be proportional to how much of it you are paid to wear.

This is a good, if slightly American-biased, article. Its like having a 2 page summary of my Dad's many rants about 'new age' cyclists! -

No. 51 is brilliant.

As you can see, I disagree with the second part of rule 17! I agree with 27, but disagree with 28 - black socks are just wrong!

Well, this made me chuckle, some elements of truth perhaps!?

I quite liked rule 11:
Rule #11 // Family does not come first. The bike does.
Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.”

We had the trade team kit discussion little while ago, as you can see!

51 still makes me chuckle, especially given recent events!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
BBC's cycling road world championships coverage http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19609053

BBC TV and the BBC Sport website will have live coverage of the 2012 Cycling Road World Championships elite races.

Sunday 16 September: Men and women's team time trial, live on red button and BBC Sport website 13:55-16:00

Tuesday 18 September: Women's individual time trial, live on red button and BBC Sport website 14:00-16:15

Wednesday 19 September: Men's individual time trial, live on red button and BBC Sport website 13:55-16:00

Saturday 22 September: Women's road race, Live on red button 13:20-17:00 & BBC1 15:30-16:30

Sunday 23 September: Men's road race, Live on red button 09:35-16:15 & red button & BBC2 15:15-17:00

Thats from the BBC Website.

Must admit I have gone for Contador over Martin as the course looks to suit him better, would have preferred 6 DS riders for this race as struggling to pick 4 affordable stars to go with my Domestiques.

Thats a pain, working everyday bar weekend when I am at New Den for the footy. Still should get the mens road race in on Sunday. Hopefully BBC will have highlights on without banners stating the results.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Talking of idiots on Bianchi's, please meet my first extramarital affair, I'm genuinely in love...:love:
Oh don't forget you need a proper track pump with gauge.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Answers me own question

Britain's Alex Dowsett has just crossed the line in second spot in the men's individual time trial event at the Road Cycling World Championships. The Briton finished nearly 30 seconds behind current leader Dmitriy Gruzdev of Kazakhstan. The three favourites for the title - Alberto Contador, Taylor Phinney and Tony Martin - are all out on the course

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh arse biscuits

I forgot to check, this morning, although I did last night, for late withdraws.
I'm now down to 7.

Have just turned it on to see Pinotti scratch, making 6.

Martin & Chavanel, will probably still mean I'll get more points than the Olympic road race :lol:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Absolutely gutted for Taylor Phinney. 5 seconds down over 47km is a horrible way to come 2nd. GB's 3rd best TTer in 8th makes you wonder what Brad would've done today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1st 5th, 8th & 15th.
With an annoying 21st.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
1, 2, 4, 15, 19 and 20 plus 5 points for Gretsch being German, 129 points. Pretty happy with that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Very tight at the top, missed out by one point!

Thank god I made a last minute decision to take out contador for Martin.

Mmm. RR is tricky though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely gutted for Taylor Phinney. 5 seconds down over 47km is a horrible way to come 2nd. GB's 3rd best TTer in 8th makes you wonder what Brad would've done today.
Judging by the way Martin slogged up to the finish (which when I know see such a pained finish, my mind goes straight back to Tommy V's stage win, in Le Tour) I think Brad would have had to have brought his A game, to win.

Brad waved goodbye to that a few weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here