Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Basso in the break of the ToB.
How times change.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Going to be an exciting run in, small lump before finish so will be about getting the timing right.

Lee Howard and the fantastic name of Boy Van Poppel should be racing for the extra seconds here.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Great win by the dutch man Marc de Mar, crashed got back on shot past the leading pack and TT home. Much better finish into Stoke/Hanley than used in previous years.

Van Poppel to second so the Boy should be in Gold tonight.

Tomorrows stage should be a corker, right down the spine of Wales

Attachments

• stage5_profile.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 39

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
**BIKE PURCHASE UPDATE**
(I'm mainly writing this to get it off my chest rather than feeling my cycle dealings are of any great interest)

My friend with the Bianchi Infinito 105 (2010) decided to lend me the bike for a few days to see how I got on. Just taken it on a short run (long for me!), and wowsers, it was pretty stunning. The carbon frame does feel comfortable and the ride position is forward but not too aggressive. I've never used brake shifters before, but I was soon getting the knack of the 105's even if I was occasionally stuck in far too low a gear at the start of a climb.

As for the climbing, on a particularly steep one, I was eyeing up a suitable place to stop and walk (as I normally do on my old hybrid) when, and I don't want to get all poetic, but the bike sort of said 'come on mate, we can do this, I can do most of the work if you put just a little more in...', and I did make the climb, in fact accelerated (a little) toward the summit. Incredible. I think I will buy it as compared to the Boardman and Scott I tried, this even to my inexperienced hands felt ideal.

Took it into Prestige Bikes on George St. in Hove who gave it the once over, and the chain is probably due a change with the back cassette, but other than that, looked all ok. Does £900 sound a bit high? The shop guy thought £800 might be a little nearer, especially with the chain and cassette to do. Very difficult to value it I think?

Anyway, thought I'd share that. Strava has me in 8th on the Devils Dyke Road climb...I just need to see whether more than 8 have ever recorded a time! :lolol:

Screen Shot 2012-09-13 at 15.59.34.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff, Bold.
When all is going smoothly it's a wonderous thing.
Sound move by your mate too, he probably started counting the money before you were down the end of the drive. :lol:

I really can't comment on the price, cycling has been on the up for a few years now, the last few months have probably sent the second hand market through the roof.

Top advise re chain, whether or not it needs changing, the cassette has to be done too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Recent events have hijacked my tip for the Worlds.

6 months ago I thought everything was set for Jon Tirenan-Locke, to be a 3 digit outsider.

As said I read an interview then where he alluded to riding for Sky, next year.
As well as occasionally working within the Sky set up this year, and how much the Worlds course suits him, and not many other Brits.

Reading directly and between the lines, a fella from Endura who few from outside England had heard of, was going for the Worlds with the full weight of Sky behind him.

Sadly with him unable to keep his mouth shut and powder dry :lol:, my 100+/1 shot, is currently 8/1 with Skybet :facepalm:.
I've had a look around and 33's is on a couple of sites, but I still think that's a bit short for such an event, against Sagan, Gilbert, Sanchez, Boonan et al.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Recent events have hijacked my tip for the Worlds.

6 months ago I thought everything was set for Jon Tirenan-Locke, to be a 3 digit outsider.

As said I read an interview then where he alluded to riding for Sky, next year.
As well as occasionally working within the Sky set up this year, and how much the Worlds course suits him, and not many other Brits.

Reading directly and between the lines, a fella from Endura who few from outside England had heard of, was going for the Worlds with the full weight of Sky behind him.

Sadly with him unable to keep his mouth shut and powder dry :lol:, my 100+/1 shot, is currently 8/1 with Skybet :facepalm:.
I've had a look around and 33's is on a couple of sites, but I still think that's a bit short for such an event, against Sagan, Gilbert, Sanchez, Boonan et al.

8s is insane. He's a real outside bet if the finish was at the top of the cauberg but it's a flat sprint. I don't think he can drop the top guys on the cauberg and he certainly won't win any kind of small group sprint.

On another note, I was just out for a ride and overtook a bloke who must have been about 17 stone on a spanking new bianchi with, what looked like, super record eps (and celeste bar tape, Stat! ). He was doing about 10 miles an hour on it! The worst part though was that he was wearing sky team shorts and a sky world champion's jersey!

Wearing world or national champions jerseys is a big no-no in my book!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
8s is insane. He's a real outside bet if the finish was at the top of the cauberg but it's a flat sprint. I don't think he can drop the top guys on the cauberg and he certainly won't win any kind of small group sprint.
I had him as a rider the bookies were wrong on, not necessarily the winner.
A la Ryder @ Amstel a couple of years ago
I guess I'm still right, just not in our favour!

In my mind I had him sat at the back of the select group, all looking at each, paying JTL no attention, at all.
Boom all or nothing with the group still looking at each other.
It probably happens @ the Worlds more than anywhere else.

On another note, I was just out for a ride and overtook a bloke who must have been about 17 stone on a spanking new bianchi with, what looked like, super record eps (and celeste bar tape, Stat! ). He was doing about 10 miles an hour on it! The worst part though was that he was wearing sky team shorts and a sky world champion's jersey!

Wearing world or national champions jerseys is a big no-no in my book!
Bless, you've got to feel for the bike. :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I had him as a rider the bookies were wrong on, not necessarily the winner.
A la Ryder @ Amstel a couple of years ago
I guess I'm still right, just not in our favour!

In my mind I had him sat at the back of the select group, all looking at each, paying JTL no attention, at all.
Boom all or nothing with the group still looking at each other.
It probably happens @ the Worlds more than anywhere else.

That's very true. Camenzind did that the last time they were in Valkenburg.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I had a quick look at JTL's fantasy cycling value. I think it's safe to say that at that price, if he does win you won't have stolen a march on anyone :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a quick look at JTL's fantasy cycling value. I think it's safe to say that at that price, if he does win you won't have stolen a march on anyone :lol:
Bloody well would have done, in March!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bloody well would have done, in March!

Valued at 3.0

At that price everyone will have him, at anytime of year :wink:

Edit: I confess, if it's a toss up between him and a certain 'skirmisher' of a similar value, assuming the 'skirmisher' is starting, I'll be having the skirmisher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here