Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Staying with Strava, I see they now have a route-map build facility to help gps-free muggles like me show where I've been at least. Might have to give it a go.

I've often suppressed thoughts that someone has sneaked up behind me and attached something to my bike, but now I know it happens. Going home after the REMF ride, I saw a bloke towing a trailer. I reckon leprechauns were using him to unwittingly move their gold.

Thought I was going down on Saturday. As I joined a main road, leaning into it, I rode over a stone or a big twig. Instinctively tried to put my foot down but failed. Amazingly the tyre gripped again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right then Geeks, help please.

Discovered a site where you can put together your own Top Trumps card set. So I'm putting together a set with 1066 minis m&f and would appreciate your ideas to contribute to the pack too. It could be our own cycling geeks pack and if it comes off ok I should be able to buy multiple sets so anyone else who wants a set too can buy one if they like. Don't have to buy or want a set though to offer up ideas for the pack. Would be a not for profit venture again for those wanting a pack, just like SB organised for those lovely caps.

Here's what we get:

40 cards per pack.
1 image on back of all cards.
5 categories and 1 picture per card on the face.

Says prices start from £6.99 for 1 pack, p&p free to U.K. I'd hope that if we bought multiple packs then that price might come down, but no idea yet as to how many we'd need to buy. This is all just cursory glances so far, so subject to change.

For categories so far we've gone with:
SPRINT
CLIMBING
GC
BREAKAWAY
SUPER DOM

So for example, 1st card up we've chosen Cav and given the following scores:

SPRINT 100
CLIMBING 8
GC 3
BREAKAWAY 8
SUPER DOM 15

Cav's picture choice so far is this: Mark-Cavendish-001.jpg

Stock back of pack picture is a cropped version of this: CORVOS_00021050-048.jpg

Nothing set in stone yet. Fully open to change of images, catergories, and want your suggestions for riders to go in the pack and their respective scores & image please.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Forgot to add, Re: the above.

Some thoughts we've discussed so far:

Do we just go all rider types as catergories and so go standard: Sprinter, Climber, GC (read climber), Rouleur/Puncheur/Classics, TT?

Or do we add catergories like super dom so beasts like Kiryienka can get some recogniton, and breakaway so we can slip in some Caja Rural specials.

Or do we add in catergories like palmarés and young rider - although neither of them would stand the test of time. Which also begs the question, do we go with current riders and chuck in some female riders too, or draw on history and chuck some of the greats in as well?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah yes cycling Top Trumps.

I looked at this at 6am and thought, 'oh fook off' :lol:
A few days later and 9:30am, it's kind of hard to shake that feeling :lolol:
I'll try an evening look next, but be warned I'm grumpy when I'm tried.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Right then Geeks, help please.

Discovered a site where you can put together your own Top Trumps card set. So I'm putting together a set with 1066 minis m&f and would appreciate your ideas to contribute to the pack too. It could be our own cycling geeks pack and if it comes off ok I should be able to buy multiple sets so anyone else who wants a set too can buy one if they like. Don't have to buy or want a set though to offer up ideas for the pack. Would be a not for profit venture again for those wanting a pack, just like SB organised for those lovely caps.

Here's what we get:

40 cards per pack.
1 image on back of all cards.
5 categories and 1 picture per card on the face.

Says prices start from £6.99 for 1 pack, p&p free to U.K. I'd hope that if we bought multiple packs then that price might come down, but no idea yet as to how many we'd need to buy. This is all just cursory glances so far, so subject to change.

For categories so far we've gone with:
SPRINT
CLIMBING
GC
BREAKAWAY
SUPER DOM

So for example, 1st card up we've chosen Cav and given the following scores:

SPRINT 100
CLIMBING 8
GC 3
BREAKAWAY 8
SUPER DOM 15

Cav's picture choice so far is this: View attachment 47804

Stock back of pack picture is a cropped version of this: View attachment 47805

Nothing set in stone yet. Fully open to change of images, catergories, and want your suggestions for riders to go in the pack and their respective scores & image please.

This is amazing, would love a pack.

Can we have one for comedy (you have to laugh or else you're cry) super doper.

You could have Palmares so that Bradley improves his score. Or add time trials as a subject. Another thought you could add in classic riders from the past also.

Marianne VOS could also beat a lot of the DOM's who will make the pack. although Hogerland might win a PAIN category.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
01 811 8055, can only mean one thing:-

swapshop.jpg

Now then I can remember if I

a) only thought it
ii) Mentioned it and did nothing.
3) Said about it and it went down like 1066 Top Trumps.

So I'm going have a definitive go at it.

Noel, I would like to swap a hardback version of David Millar's Racing Through the Dark, for something similar.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
http://road.cc/content/news/97008-g...rong-should-be-jail-and-was-top-30-rider-best

Greg Lemond - doesn't hold back, does he? It's a shame nobody took enough notice of him over a decade ago.

It's things like this that confirm to me that I could never buy a Trek.

Got to love Greg. Although I'm not sure 'top 30 at best' is correct. Guys like Hamilton were comprehensively doped and didn't beat him, likewise ullrich and I don't think Armstrong had any super woo woo juice that they didn't have.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
10, I can't offer anything intelligent on the cards but would take a pack.

Anyone know anything about igotu? Went into Maplins to see what they had garminge (mash up) wise but saw these. Priced well, but 'you get what you pay for'?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Got to love Greg. Although I'm not sure 'top 30 at best' is correct. Guys like Hamilton were comprehensively doped and didn't beat him, likewise ullrich and I don't think Armstrong had any super woo woo juice that they didn't have.

I regularly go cycling with Hamilton and can confirm that, doped up or not, he would struggle to beat anyone. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here