Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What another cracking stage in Catalunya today. Large breakaway, stretched out groups, then destroyed peloton, very impressive stuff. Eurosport schedules still a bit odd though. Despite having a series link on my V+, it's like the old days of setting the VHS and it all going wrong!

It was great wasn't it? What a ride from Dan Martin, hope he hangs on to the GC lead to the end, teach Katusha and Movistar a lesson for just letting Sky do all the work chasing on the final mountain.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was great wasn't it? What a ride from Dan Martin, hope he hangs on to the GC lead to the end, teach Katusha and Movistar a lesson for just letting Sky do all the work chasing on the final mountain.

He was immense. I haven't seen a lot of him, but he just kept going - fantastic performance. Garmin Sharp must be chuffed to bits with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some interesting stages. I've just got back from working in Ambleside in the lake district
Tis a shame you didn't take one of my dogs with you, after his one and only trip to A/side.

When loading up the car to come home, he refused to get in and ran away, the only time ever.
Then when finally in instead of looking forward, as he always does, he stared out of the back window.
He stayed like that until I turned onto the M6, when he turned around put his head on the back seat, sighed, and went to sleep standing up.

Fairly safe to say, t'was the bestest holiday EVER.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]315026477353680897[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I suppose Valverde crashing out completely scuppered Movistar's plans, and the peloton did slow up to see if he could rejoin which gave the large break even more time. That said Quintana was again really impressive in eventually leading the chase to Martin, he's been in my fantasy team a few times, and seems to be hitting some fine form for them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched the Dan Martin show from yesterday :). Superb stuff!, and nice to see Quintana in his free role having a good go too and Purito looking really strong.

Looking forward to E3 today but looks like Eurosport with their schedules and subscriptions cock ups are never going to work out for me. Hoping there's a live stream somewhere instead. Looking forward to see how everyone goes today as some indication for Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday. Conditions not looking good for Sunday though and I winced when I read this from an article on Renshaw:

"If it's like San Remo then it will be hard for me to be a factor," he admitted to Cyclingnews. "If we race in conditions like that again, then the organisers need to look at measures to protect the riders because what I saw on Sunday, they didn't really put it on TV... You saw pictures but it didn't give a true indication of how bad the problems were."

Snow and temperatures hovering around the zero degree mark are forecast for Gent-Wevelgem and given Renshaw has three fingers which are showing signs of frost bite, he is not keen for a repeat

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Snow and temperatures hovering around the zero degree mark are forecast for Gent-Wevelgem and given Renshaw has three fingers which are showing signs of frost bite, he is not keen for a repeat[/I]

This is making me very apprehensive ahead of a sportive tomorrow. My hands suffer badly below 3/4 degrees and the forecast is for lower than that with added snow.
Anyone fancy sponsoring me to get out to Mallorca?!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is making me very apprehensive ahead of a sportive tomorrow. My hands suffer badly below 3/4 degrees and the forecast is for lower than that with added snow.
Anyone fancy sponsoring me to get out to Mallorca?!!

I only do the short commute at the moment. I've given up going out for weekend rides for now. Aside from a tennis elbow issue which puts me off a bit anyway, I've turned into a right wimp in the cold weather these days. I just didn't enjoy the last few rides so thought I'd just wait for things to warm up a bit. It's ditto the above for the alottement too I'm afraid this winter.

Hats off to you and anyone else who gets out on the bike for 'fun' at the moment. I'm not so admiring as to stretch to contributing to your warm weather programme though, sorry :lol:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I only do the short commute at the moment. I've given up going out for weekend rides for now. Aside from a tennis elbow issue which puts me off a bit anyway, I've turned into a right wimp in the cold weather these days. I just didn't enjoy the last few rides so thought I'd just wait for things to warm up a bit. It's ditto the above for the alottement too I'm afraid this winter.

Hats off to you and anyone else who gets out on the bike for 'fun' at the moment. I'm not so admiring as to stretch to contributing to your warm weather programme though, sorry :lol:

I've gone the opposite way and binned the commute for now (walking with hands in pockets instead) and only doing the weekend training rides. Notice the word training - not fun!
I honestly think I would be waiting for a slight increase in temperature if I didn't have the thought of possibly failing in the Etape nagging away at me.

The sportive has just been postponed anyway, so now I have to motivate myself for a Bostal/ Beacon assault instead...

hope the tennis elbow clears up. i had it very badly once - not pleasant.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just watched the Dan Martin show from yesterday :). Superb stuff!, and nice to see Quintana in his free role having a good go too and Purito looking really strong.

Looking forward to E3 today but looks like Eurosport with their schedules and subscriptions cock ups are never going to work out for me. Hoping there's a live stream somewhere instead. Looking forward to see how everyone goes today as some indication for Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday. Conditions not looking good for Sunday though and I winced when I read this from an article on Renshaw:

"If it's like San Remo then it will be hard for me to be a factor," he admitted to Cyclingnews. "If we race in conditions like that again, then the organisers need to look at measures to protect the riders because what I saw on Sunday, they didn't really put it on TV... You saw pictures but it didn't give a true indication of how bad the problems were."

Snow and temperatures hovering around the zero degree mark are forecast for Gent-Wevelgem and given Renshaw has three fingers which are showing signs of frost bite, he is not keen for a repeat

Have you found an english stream? I have a dutch one but no luck on the english one yet.

Can I just add to that, Figure Skating? Really, I wonder if Russia or Russia will win that? I doubt there is even anyone English in it, so show the cycling. There isn't a 289 page Figure Skating Geeks thread, is there?

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Have you found an english stream? I have a dutch one but no luck on the english one yet.

Can I just add to that, Figure Skating? Really, I wonder if Russia or Russia will win that? I doubt there is even anyone English in it, so show the cycling. There isn't a 289 page Figure Skating Geeks thread, is there?

No stream luck at all with nothing from Steephill links or sport lemon :( I'll take your Dutch one then please if you'd be so kind?

Edit: Just found some Dutch and Belgium ones. English up at 2.45pm apparently.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No stream luck at all with nothing from Steephill links or sport lemon :( I'll take your Dutch one then please if you'd be so kind?

http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-5.php

I think I am going to learn Flemish. The coverage of cycling is fantastic, they've spent half an hour analysing form, the parcours, history etc. Whilst we have to put up with Carlton Kirby wittering incomprehensible nonsense and random whimsy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was surprised how easy it's to follow on a French stream.
I guess the language of the peleton, being French helps.

The Italian and Spanish commentary leave me so confused, I don't image Flemish would be any easier.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Right them gentlemen as we have no Fantasy points on offer today how about a little guess the podium competition? I'll go:

1. Sagan
2. Degenkolb
3. Boonen

This must be a spring one day race as a Sky rider has just fallen off. They really have not got the hang of these races yet, have they?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll go just slightly left field.

1) Roelandts
2) Sagan
3) Boonen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here