Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, you know I like a bargain! I saw some motorbike gear advertised there recently and thought it was dangerously cheap: £35 for a lid! The base layer stuff looked very good value though. I could go for those lights and glasses though.

I've got these Bolle glasses from screwfix and they are very good. Apparently they are very similar quality to their sports glasses, it's only that they can't sell them as 'safety glasses' with such a big mark up.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-clear-lens-contour-esp-safety-specs/95382

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Ok, Ian Stannard - strong as an Ox (Tour of Polans last year - wow!) but tactically lacking maybe?

He basically gave gatto the lead out today in the DDV and on sunday at MSR, he sat on the front pulling the break along ensuring himself 6th place. Surely his DS's should be talking to him a bit more in his earpiece?

Anyway, I saw him at 16/1 for Roubaix - i'm having some of THAT action!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok, Ian Stannard - strong as an Ox (Tour of Polans last year - wow!) but tactically lacking maybe?

He basically gave gatto the lead out today in the DDV and on sunday at MSR, he sat on the front pulling the break along ensuring himself 6th place. Surely his DS's should be talking to him a bit more in his earpiece?

I felt a bit for him though, in his break of 3 neither of the other 2 were prepared to work, then on the group run in they all knew they could out sprint him so what choice did he have really? That's how I saw it anyway...superb ride though still.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I felt a bit for him though, in his break of 3 neither of the other 2 were prepared to work, then on the group run in they all knew they could out sprint him so what choice did he have really? That's how I saw it anyway...superb ride though still.

I suppose you reap what you sow. He's got a great work ethic and once in a break, others will know it and try to explot that. Things like that are what make the sport so interesting.

Matt Hayman should have at least been on Stannards wheel so he got the lead out, not Gatto

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Tried Fitness Tracker? looks even easier. £2 one off cost isn't it? My daughter is not even up when I get back, so its a def maybe.

Fitness Tracker? No, I've not noticed that - what is it - is it on Strava? I'll check it out.

My kids are teenagers, often I return from a 3 1/2 hour Saturday ride to find that they're not up. I have to then wake the one who comes to the Albion with me when we're at home!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Cyclings answer to Adam El Abd.

I was lining up a flutter on Stybar for the first Belgium race that got cancelled due to snow a couple of weeks ago.
Obviously mindful of the weather I also noticed Stannard was 250/1.

I filled my boots in readiness, but as said the race was cancelled, and I stopped writing my 'notice to leave' work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As it stands:

2 x Germans
2 x Belgiumers
2 x Dutch
1 x Brit
1 x Cheque
1 x Frenchie.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Eurosport properly ****ed up their schedules today. I've ended up with recorded World Curling Championships instead of the highlights, I only caught the last 20mins of the race live by accident as their TV schedule said they were starting their coverage at 4pm. They are idiots at times, very unreliable.

Yep, it is unreal how bad they are. I got up early this morning to watch yesterdays highlights due to start at 7:30. As it turns out they must have started at 7:00, as I only got half an hour of highlights. Fortunately I didn't miss any of the fireworks. Once that was done they showed the first 15 minutes of a Women's Champions League tie, then they had the introduction to that game. I turned off after that, I expect some ski jumping was due before the conclusion of that match.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Anyone know much about this route?
Cycling Weekly South Downs Spring Sportive - UK Cycling Events

more detail here:
CW Plumpton Std by ukcyclingevents at Garmin Connect - Details

I've done most of my training to the West or slightly North of here, so will be new territory for me.
Due to other commitments we can only squeeze in the Standard route on this occasion, so I know I don't have to worry about Castle Hill (not ridden this before - is it tough?), which is listed in the report for the Epic route.

800 metres ascent is not much to worry about, but anyone know of any nasty little climbs in this area?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone know much about this route?
Cycling Weekly South Downs Spring Sportive - UK Cycling Events

more detail here:
CW Plumpton Std by ukcyclingevents at Garmin Connect - Details

I've done most of my training to the West or slightly North of here, so will be new territory for me.
Due to other commitments we can only squeeze in the Standard route on this occasion, so I know I don't have to worry about Castle Hill (not ridden this before - is it tough?), which is listed in the report for the Epic route.

800 metres ascent is not much to worry about, but anyone know of any nasty little climbs in this area?

I've done an event fairly similar:-

From memory a lot of the climbing was done through foresty areas.
I do remember the climb coming out of Mayfield, not in a good way, I really struggled for no real reason.

On the whole it didn't really stand out as a 'problem' ride but I'm sure it was a good one, by virtue of the fact they always are.

If anyone can tell me how I post just the ride and not my entire Garmin history, inc my home, I'd be grateful and will post my details.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What another cracking stage in Catalunya today. Large breakaway, stretched out groups, then destroyed peloton, very impressive stuff. Eurosport schedules still a bit odd though. Despite having a series link on my V+, it's like the old days of setting the VHS and it all going wrong!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here