Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gerrans?

I've got a very left field pick as well - Gallopin.

There's a few decent doms from the fantasy game that could do a job I reckon. Can't remember now whether Gallopin is a dom or star rider though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I want a point or 2 for still flagging up the thread.

Plus, there's still no way the GB should have done what they did.

Yep, props for that I believe is the term :)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
There's a few decent doms from the fantasy game that could do a job I reckon. Can't remember now whether Gallopin is a dom or star rider though.

He's an expensive-ish domestique. Although there's a lot of cross-over with the Amstel Gold, that finishes right at the top of the Cauberg whereas the Worlds have a km or so flattish section after. Reasonable climbers with a decent sprint have a chance but it could be like 98 (Camenzind) and someone nips away on the climb and holds on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reasonable climbers with a decent sprint have a chance but it could be like 98 (Camenzind) and someone nips away on the climb and holds on.
My prediction is the opposite, but same principle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Someone nipping away, as Sagan and Gilbert are watching each other on the climb, and holding on.
Only I'll be going for a climber, who can sprint a bit, not a sprinter who can climb.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - thank you for the link to the buying guide on the cycle forum, been very useful.

Evans Brighton have F-all in stock at the moment so not had a chance to try any of theirs. Did get out on a Scott S50 2012 at Syds bikes which felt great. I liked the fact that despite the bike being fairly low spec. the frame is the same as Scott use for their higher spec'd bikes, right up to £1600 or so. Syd's had the S50 for £750 and he was willing to throw in £90 shoes, helmet and a few other bits as he needs to make way for the 2013 models.

There is a Scott S40 on ebay in Worthing that I might also have a look at, looks a good spec. and could be a reasonable purchase. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160879061491?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_500wt_1413

Or I have an acquaintance who is selling their Bianchi Infinito 2010 with Fulcrum racing wheels and shimano 105. Think he wants about £900. Very tempting!

I was budgeting for £800 + shoes and bits.

If the Bianchi feels nice and is suitable size, got to be that hasn't it!?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff.
As it should be the final decision, is and can only be yours.
You obviously know there's not much competition between those bikes, even if one is Italian with fishing tackle attached.

But as before, just because you may well have a good deal, if it doesn't fit you can't make it work.

You need to be comfy or at best you won't want to ride, worst case, you'll do yourself an injury.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good stuff.
As it should be the final decision, is and can only be yours.
You obviously know there's not much competition between those bikes, even if one is Italian with fishing tackle attached.

But as before, just because you may well have a good deal, if it doesn't fit you can't make it work.

You need to be comfy or at best you won't want to ride, worst case, you'll do yourself an injury.

Trouble is for me, I'm getting off a heavy Trek hybrid and of course every road bike I try is like a revelation. With no road bike miles in me, it's a really tough decision. The key I guess is to take my time and try as many as possible.

With regards to suppliers like Canyon, Ribble, Planet X, seems like some really good deals but you can't try them...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The key I guess is to take my time and try as many as possible.

With regards to suppliers like Canyon, Ribble, Planet X, seems like some really good deals but you can't try them...
Within reason, you could try till the cows come home.
You may well find the bike that fit perfectly but does rock you boat.
At which point you could use the (online) geometry to pick something a little less 'high street'.
Most have a solid exchange policy, you could add wiggle into the equation.

Your desire to ride coupled with the diminishing great weather will help you get through this process pretty quick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You just beat me to it.
No it's the first time this week.

and yes, the weather isn't doing GB any favours.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Cycling through rivers!

Excellent coverage, why can't the vuelta get decent camera work and picture quality like this.

Attachments

• TOB 1 v1.jpg
    TOB 1 v1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was never in doubt, men against boys.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Elite CLEAN cyclists, like these.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here