Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Current managers with a playing career as good as our Gus'

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I actually can't think of very many.

Roberto Mancini was a fine player in his day, but other than that most of the Premiership seems to be made up of men who are better managers than they were players.

Liverpool have Dalglish, who was a pretty special player in his day by all accounts, but that was a long time ago.

And there's Steve Bruce. He had a top playing career.

But I think those are the only three in the top tier who played at the very highest level.

So how about further down the leagues?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Paolo Di Canio, apart from that i'm struggling. Suppose Lee Clark had a pretty impressive career.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Gary Speed? Seeing as managing who isn't stated. Sparky Hughes maybe?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Tony Adams, although he had to trek out to far eastern Europe to get a job these days.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not many English players who are as good as Gus was full stop. Funny how arguably that three of the best managers we have had in the English game recently were all ordinary to quite shit footballers - Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Not many English players who are as good as Gus was full stop. Funny how arguably the three of the best managers we have had in the English game recently were all ordinary to quite shit footballers - Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger

But there are plenty of other foreign managers plying their trade in this country. Nobody said they had to be English

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
With a playing career that took in Juventus, Roma and Milan AND 32 caps for Italy, Capello must have been a pretty decent player in his day. Not that I can remember

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
How can anybody compare gus with pardew in playing terms?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Luis Enrique had a pretty blindin' career, now in charge of AS Roma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here