Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Current managers with a playing career as good as our Gus'

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Liverpool have Dalglish, who was a pretty special player in his day by all accounts, but that was a long time ago.
Dalglish was a superb footballer; at least the equal, if not better, than Gus

Funny how arguably that three of the best managers we have had in the English game recently were all ordinary to quite shit footballers - Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger

Mourinho and Wenger, fair enough but Ferguson was a decent enough footballer. At one time he held the record for the biggest Scottish transfer and scored a fair amount of goals. OK, he wasn't of the level of Dalglish or Poyet but he was slightly better than 'ordinary'.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I cant believe none of you have mentioned the "bear" Richie Barker. Albion legend far better than most mentioned above!

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Norwegian champions

Am I right in thinking he was short-listed for the Albion job? I wonder how we would be doing if he had got the job?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Not many English players who are as good as Gus was full stop. Funny how arguably that three of the best managers we have had in the English game recently were all ordinary to quite shit footballers - Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger

And Mourinho didn't even play professionally..

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
In Italy managing Catania:

Vicenzo Montella Games 383, Goals 189. Staggering record which included 20 capps for Italy at a time when on the strikers list ahead of him were Totti, Vieri, Del Piero, Inzaghi ect..

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Sorry to completely MISS the point of the thread, but as mentioned it's very interesting how the 3 most successful managers of recent times were average footballers, Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger.
I know some people will laugh but I think Benitez was a quality manager. Also, didn't play much I think, although that could have been injury. I forget.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Clough the elder springs to mind.
Him and Nigel would be the first father/son pair to reap success.
How many of the current England squad will become top managers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here