Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace - Joke club

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One of your Ex players (can't remember who) said he tried to convince Wilbs to sign fro Brighton but he picked Palace.

I would like to know why a player would choose Palace over the Albion at this moment. To me it looks like a player with a lack of ambition - or Palace are paying more. Which is surprising on Palace home gates.

That is a serious post by the way - not a way of having a dig at Palace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would like to know why a player would choose Palace over the Albion at this moment. To me it looks like a player with a lack of ambition - or Palace are paying more. Which is surprising on Palace home gates.

More money?

Personal connections - friends on playing / coaching staff?

Location? (don't laugh - he might want to live in London, for example)

Job security (length of contract)

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We may have only been offering a year or a year with an option for a further year. Who knows?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

They might just want to get a game?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Having a supermarket next door can be useful when you live alone and need to do a bit of shopping on the way home from work?

The red and blue might match his eyes?

He might be doing it for a dare?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We may have only been offering a year or a year with an option for a further year. Who knows?

Good point. We would only want him for a year as not up to the Prem :)jester:), whereas he's proven in league One, so no risk for palace offering him a long contract. Added to my list, above.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
More money?

But if you are an ambitious player - where would you go ?

There are of course reasons to chose Palace - but would a player who wants to play at the highest level he can, or improve as a player to make it more likely to play at a higher lever really choose Palace ?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
As for comments coming out of Palace about needing to raise funds etc before buying players it could just be a game of chess. Gus is forever banging on about our lower half budget yet we still managed to sign two Valencians, an ex Man U 'keeper and a Premier League left back (albeit heavily subsidised.) They are hardly going to flash their wad Loadsamoney style before entering into negotiations are they. Pinch of salt.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
One of your Ex players (can't remember who) said he tried to convince Wilbs to sign fro Brighton but he picked Palace.

I would have thought it was more to do with him being guaranteed more of a starting position with Palace than he would have done at Brighton...

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
Nothing at all but chances are you'll be doing it at least a division lower than you are now in the not too distant future. You probably won't enjoy it much either. This is a strong league you'll do well to survive in it selling your best players adn using youth.

I'd say our best payers are Wilf ,Williams &Speroni Clyne was too .We lost Scannell who started 1 in 3 games and Ambrose who on is day is very good but in truth was lightweight at times and inconsistent
Hardly losing our best players is it?
Experience is what's needed at Selhurst we have plenty of youth ,some very good ,some very overrated .
We have been tipped to go down for the last 3 years and again this year-one of those with a 10 point deduction.
We will be ok ,we are just not over the administration fall out IMO

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Perhaps he isn't ambitious. He's seen how Palace play, he play up front, he's figured that being a Palace forward is a cushy number because he won't have much to do. Everyone's happy.

I suspect you are right. Where we are - we want ambitious players who want to improve themselves. If a player chooses Palace he is probably not one for us anyway - so no loss.

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
But if you are an ambitious player - where would you go ?

There are of course reasons to chose Palace - but would a player who wants to play at the highest level he can, or improve as a player to make it more likely to play at a higher lever really choose Palace ?

Although you lot have a nice shiny new ground and you are a club looking to push on to the prem in the next few years, you still only finished 10 th yourselves in your first season back in the Championship.
I think some are getting above themselves I'm not taking the mick but you are not quite established as one of the Championship elite just yet.
Players sign for all sorts of different reasons sometimes it just feels right to sign for a certain club or maybe it's to all todo with Dougie.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

More money?

Job security (length of contract)

Style of play?

Likelihood (or promises) of first team action?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Although you lot have a nice shiny new ground and you are a club looking to push on to the prem in the next few years, you still only finished 10 th yourselves in your first season back in the Championship.
I think some are getting above themselves I'm not taking the mick but you are not quite established as one of the Championship elite just yet.
Players sign for all sorts of different reasons sometimes it just feels right to sign for a certain club or maybe it's to all todo with Dougie.

In fairness, the perception of Brighton as a club on the up is not restricted to Brighton supporters is it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here