Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace - Joke club

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
More money?

Personal connections - friends on playing / coaching staff?

Location? (don't laugh - he might want to live in London, for example)

Job security (length of contract)

Style of play?

Likelihood (or promises) of first team action?

OK. I do understand there are many reasons a player may chose an individual club.

Just does not look like a professionally ambitious player.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Although you lot have a nice shiny new ground and you are a club looking to push on to the prem in the next few years, you still only finished 10 th yourselves in your first season back in the Championship.
I think some are getting above themselves I'm not taking the mick but you are not quite established as one of the Championship elite just yet.
Players sign for all sorts of different reasons sometimes it just feels right to sign for a certain club or maybe it's to all todo with Dougie.

Fair enough. Just looking ahead for the next couple of seasons would a player want to be part of a squad looking upwards, or a squad looking for a period of stability.

I have never thought of us as part of any championship elite. Tenth again will do me.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Although you lot have a nice shiny new ground and you are a club looking to push on to the prem in the next few years, you still only finished 10 th yourselves in your first season back in the Championship.
I think some are getting above themselves I'm not taking the mick but you are not quite established as one of the Championship elite just yet.
Players sign for all sorts of different reasons sometimes it just feels right to sign for a certain club or maybe it's to all todo with Dougie.

Finishing tenth was much better than most of us expected tbh, we do still remember what our previous four seasons at this level were like you know.

(yes, I am including 91/92)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed.

But you say "only finished 10th", its worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of our side was certainly not comprised of established Championship players - it was primarily made up of the team that took us up from L1. And they managed to give us a Playoff push until about the last 6 weeks of the season when we fell away.

Had someone offered me 10th this time last year I'd have taken that. And anything above 10th this season will show we are progressing and establishing ourselves in this division. A tilt at the Playoff places again this season would be great, and with the quality Gus has added so far I think we can improve on 10th. Whether it'll be enough for 6th I dunno, but we weren't too far off last year and I don't think we'll go backwards.

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
Agreed.

But you say "only finished 10th", its worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of our side was certainly not comprised of established Championship players - it was primarily made up of the team that took us up from L1. And they managed to give us a Playoff push until about the last 6 weeks of the season when we fell away.

Had someone offered me 10th this time last year I'd have taken that. And anything above 10th this season will show we are progressing and establishing ourselves in this division. A tilt at the Playoff places again this season would be great, and with the quality Gus has added so far I think we can improve on 10th. Whether it'll be enough for 6th I dunno, but we weren't too far off last year and I don't think we'll go backwards.

My post wasn't meant to down play 10th place at all.We will take that right now .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'd say our best payers are Wilf ,Williams &Speroni Clyne was too .We lost Scannell who started 1 in 3 games and Ambrose who on is day is very good but in truth was lightweight at times and inconsistent
Hardly losing our best players is it?
Experience is what's needed at Selhurst we have plenty of youth ,some very good ,some very overrated .
We have been tipped to go down for the last 3 years and again this year-one of those with a 10 point deduction.
We will be ok ,we are just not over the administration fall out IMO

If Zaha , Speroni & Murray leave will this change your mind about losing your best players ?

Sainsburys3tescos1

Jul 18, 2012
If Zaha , Speroni & Murray leave will this change your mind about losing your best players ?

Wouldn't include Murray in that yet although I rate him .Zaha Speroni Williams are our best players and I have heard some good things about Ward & Wilbraham.Zaha will be a big loss I think he will stay this year and then be off.I hope he goes for no less than 5 million when he does go .
I think the club will hoping to feed Da silva through this year and one other then by the time Wilf does bugger off We will probably have a couple more experienced youngsters with a couple of million to spend and 3 million back into our losses . That's running the club the way it should be and should've been under Jordan.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wouldn't include Murray in that yet although I rate him .Zaha Speroni Williams are our best players and I have heard some good things about Ward & Wilbraham.Zaha will be a big loss I think he will stay this year and then be off.I hope he goes for no less than 5 million when he does go .
I think the club will hoping to feed Da silva through this year and one other then by the time Wilf does bugger off We will probably have a couple more experienced youngsters with a couple of million to spend and 3 million back into our losses . That's running the club the way it should be and should've been under Jordan.

CPFC2010 have a real dilemma on their hands , do they sell Zaha now and get a decent price which will allow Freedman to sign 2 or 3 players to ensure mid-table safety or gamble on not being relegated ? Should Palace go down , Wilf will slip in a transfer request quicker than he can sprint down the touchline. As a League 1 club his transfer value will be reduced accordingly and clubs vying for his signature know that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Two more players slip through the net , one of them , Baxter "wasn't on trial but training at the club" :lol:

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
A primary teacher starts a new job at a school in Croydon and, trying to make a good impression on her first day, explains to her class that she is a Crystal Palace fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they, too, are Palace fans. Everyone in the class raises their hand expect one little girl.

The teacher looks at the girl with surprise and says: "Mary, why didn't you raise your hand?"

"Because I'm not a Palace fan," she replied.

The teacher, still shocked, asked: "Well if you're not a Palace fan, then who are you a fan of?"

"I'm a Brighton fan, and proud of it," Mary replied.

The teacher could not believe her ears.
"Mary, why, pray tell, are you a Brighton fan?"

"Because my mum and dad are from Brighton, and my mum is a Brighton fan and my dad is a Brighton fan, so I'm a Brighton fan too!"

"Well," said the teacher, in an annoyed tone, "that's no reason for you to be a Brighton fan. You don't have to be just like your parents all the time. What if your mum was a prostitute and you dad was a drug dealer and car thief, what what you be then?"

"Then," Mary smiled, "I'd be a Palace fan

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Just 16k for their big local derby , of which over 2.5k were Millwall.

That's the real joke.:ffsparr:

I think the jokes on you Major !
Your constant digs on our attendances are well past their sell by date, and it seems even your own fans find you a bit of an embarrassment. You're a bit like Gus at the moment, no plan b .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Your constant digs on our attendances are well past their sell by date, and it seems even your own fans find you a bit of an embarrassment. You're a bit like Gus at the moment, no plan b .

:thumbsup:

I agree that most people on here now realise your support is a joke. They just needed it pointing out. I'm always happy to oblige when you let yourself down - you got quite excited about getting 20k vs Burnley and then hey presto they all disappeared - as I've also maintained and proved - your support is shite when compared to ours. :ffsparr:

You got 16k for your local derby against a team just 7 miles up the road while the Albion got 10k more against a Club that is 300 miles away and Charlton got 10k more than you against a team that is 150 miles away. Just waiting for your team to go tits up (as they will) and then it's normal service again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here