Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cricket - Last Day at Hove & the Oval

Brixtaan said:
All i know about the famous Mushy is that his stats don't feature anywhere the top in seasons ave figures.Why is that?
Probably because he's more interested in getting wickets than bowling economy.

Thing is... it works for us.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bowling Mushy. 106 to win.

Please, no repeat of the Warwickshire game.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Get in, we're going to win the f***ing League!!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe it!!

I am f***ing loving this:clap2: :clap2:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

f*** off Surrey you bunch of wankers, only ten points at the most in two games needed once we wrap up this victory!!

I love you Mushy

:cool:

Sussseeeeeeexxx Byyyyyy Theee Seeeaaaaaaaaaaa

And relax...

Aug 20, 2003
Brighton
I read in the Observer yesterday that Mushy receives £400 for each wicket taken as part of his pay package. By my calculation this has earned just shy of £40k this year. Nice work if you can get it!

It also confirmed the story on here last week that Lewry receives £2 for each run above 10. His average has risen from 8 to 19 as a result!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
GIVE ME AN S
U
S
S
E
X
WHOS GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE?

SUSSEX :clap: :clap: :clap: SUSSEX

Aug 20, 2003
Brighton
Sussex home in on dream

Middlesex 392 & 157-5 Sussex 537

Paul Weaver in Hove
Monday September 8, 2003
The Guardian

The County Ground is normally better acquainted with the sea fret than the surreal but there was a dream-like quality about the proceedings here yesterday that it was tempting to suppose one had dozed off in one of the blue and white deckchairs that decorate the north end of the ground.
The cricket itself had the whiff of fantasy about it as Sussex homed in on the first championship in their history - and, formed in 1839, their history is longer than that of any other first-class county.

But it was not just the cricket. In a boundary marquee Ted Dexter chin-wagged with Ken Suttle, another hero from sepia-toned times, whose thrilling outfielding and dependable left-handed batting is still recalled by older members.

Behind them, two former captains, Jim Parks and Robin Marlar, exchanged 50s-coloured anecdotes while the tales recalled by Alan Wells and John Barclay, also former skippers, were probably more contemporary.

In the member's bar the Gillette Cup borrowed from Lord's was on display. The original county one-day trophy, won by Sussex in the first two years in 1963 and 1964, attracted nostalgic curiosity.

Above the ground meanwhile, as the Middlesex wickets tumbled to wild cheers under Sussex's remarkable momentum, there was a rainbow, even though there was no rain here yesterday.

Sussex members must have been tempted to pinch themselves or even hit themselves over the head with a jumbo cricket bat.

If Sussex are to win the championship, and that now seems only a matter of time, it was appropriate that they took an important step yesterday in front of so many former captains who had tried and failed as yesterday was the annual reunion for retired players.

Sussex should win their ninth championship game today and take themselves to within touching distance of the title.

Middlesex, at 157 for five in their second innings, are just 12 runs ahead and Mushtaq Ahmed, their inspiration this season, looks in the mood to go for the four he needs to reach 100 wickets this season.

If Sussex do win they will need a maximum of just 10 points from their final two games to clinch the title; even if they fail today they will be the outstanding favourites to finish above their two rivals Surrey and Lancashire.

The fortunes in this match have changed like a sea breeze. At one point Sussex were 107 for six in reply to Middlesex's total of 392, yet went on to make 537, the last four wickets adding 430.

That recovery was well under way when Sussex resumed yesterday on 401 for eight. Jason Lewry survived for 20 minutes but the last-wicket pair of Mark Davis (168) and Billy Taylor (35 not out) both scored career bests as they put on 106.

Middlesex, who had hopes of winning by an innings on Friday, batted again 145 runs behind. They lost captain Andrew Strauss cheaply, caught behind, and then Sven Koenig was lbw to Robin Martin-Jenkins.

Five Sussex bowlers had a wicket each: Ben Hutton was caught at long-leg off Taylor, Ed Joice was bowled by Mushtaq when he should have been forward and then Owais Shah was stumped giving Davis the charge.

It was such a delicious dream that one did not want to wake up.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,10069,1037483,00.html

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I hope they let Matty Prior try to get his 100, he deserves if for a couple of really important knocks over the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here