Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Davies

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That will be Gus that binned him?

Good point, well made. Originally I thought he'd already gone before Gus arrived.
I'd certainly rate him above the likes of Sandaza and (obviously) Holroyd. Gus was, in my opinion, a bit hasty in releasing him.

Oh well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Talent wise I'd rate him far above Dickinson but slightly below Holroyd. Far far FAR too early to say with Sandaza.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No way is Holroyd better than Davies. Davies is far stronger on the ball, and looks like a proper footballer.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Good point, well made. Originally I thought he'd already gone before Gus arrived.
I'd certainly rate him above the likes of Sandaza and (obviously) Holroyd. Gus was, in my opinion, a bit hasty in releasing him.

Oh well.
I'd agree with that, I thought in the summer we might as well has kept him for the squad at least. But I don't think he was the right kind of player to fit into what Gus is trying to do. I do find this 'confidence' cliche tiresome though. When he went on loan to Port Vale he was playing well and scoring goals but still missing loads of simple chances too. I've no idea if he's still doing that at Chesterfield but I wouldn't bet against it. It just seems that some people want to blame any/every failing of any/every player on 'bad fans', presumably to give themselves some sense of superiority. :shrug:

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Confidence may not be based on fan support though, as if a player goes on a drought they might lose confidence in themselves inependent of what the crowd think, and if a player plays with a lack of confidence some fans may pick up on it and slate them for not trying their best. It seems like a vicious cycle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No way is Holroyd better than Davies. Davies is far stronger on the ball, and looks like a proper footballer.

In terms of raw footballing ability I believe he's a fair way better. Even in warm ups Holroyd does things with a football I haven't seen any other Brighton player able to do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In terms of raw footballing ability I believe he's a fair way better. Even in warm ups Holroyd does things with a football I haven't seen any other Brighton player able to do.

Anyone can do flashy tricks and flicks in the warm-up, but it doesn't mean they won't play like a complete SPANNER during the match.
Davies at least had the ability to make dangerous runs and get himself into decent positions, even if he did invariably end up fluffing the chance. I'm not even sure I saw Holroyd venture into the oppositions box during his time here, he needed a satnav to find the goal.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
good luck to the lad,as usual some of the plebs that abused him will have egg on the faces,

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I liked his attitude on the pitch, I know nothing about him off it, he looked fit strong and quick. He didn't hide after he missed a chance or two, I thought he was unlucky not to get a good run in the side. We all see old footage of players like Jimmy Greaves and Dennis Law, and we always see them score, but they missed chances too, I will admit not as many as Craig though. During the Russell Slade relegation fight he was often used as a sub and seemed to be used mostly wide right where he was OK. Good luck to the lad, he always did his best for us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Here is a question (tho immaterial but hypothetically). Do you think he would have scored as many (or more) as Barnes this season? Would he have made a good partner for Murray?

You know that quick, nippy, poacher of a striker we need and would complement Murray well? Davies could have done that, COULD. It all depends on him being given time and having the support from the fans which sadly he lacked while at the club. At the moment we have FIVE players you could classify as strikers:
.Murray, best of the lot.
.Wood, Who I beleive is utter cack.
.Barness, Like the work rate but displays bad touches and misses too much, mainly due to his age.
.Sandaza, massive donkey for 89 mins yet when the ball is in the box, he'll be there. Just doesn't complement Murray/Barness.
.Hart, everyone has the same opinion...

Now out of all of them, I would say that Davies could complement Murray or if he's injured, Sandaza, the best. Gus is a good coach and he would have had Davies playing some good stuff if he'd have stayed on. There was never any doubt he was a decent player, sadly it didn't work out and good look to him for the future. You have to say though, not good enough for QPR.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A confident Davies would have been a better option than Sandaza, Wood, Holroyd, Barnes and ESPECIALLY Hart.

Whether he would always have been confident is another matter.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Judging by the confidence Gus instilled in El Abd, Navarro and the team as a whole, I think Davies would really have flourished under the colourful and perceptive Uruguayans influence.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barney has found his level - League 2

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Judging by the confidence Gus instilled in El Abd, Navarro and the team as a whole, I think Davies would really have flourished under the colourful and perceptive Uruguayans influence.

Yes, the perceptive Uruguayan who percieved Davies not to be good enough for a promotion chasing League One squad.

Craig Davies and talk of lack of confidence in the same sentence ?... on NSC ?... who'd have thought it !? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here