Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CPFC Nigel's

RednBlue

Oct 4, 2011
Hello BHAFC supporters, I am indeed a Palace fan, ( pikey, Nigel, chav ) what ever your preferred choice of name is. I just want to stick my ore in about the Homophobic chanting issue.

I am a little disgruntled to hear that two saints fans have been arrested over the matter as I don't see what the big deal is.

I am in no way Anti Gay, homophobic or have any bad words to say about Gay people! Life is yours and I feel people can have the choice on how they live it. I would never ever approach somebody in the street and start chanting, '' you take it up the bum'' or '' we can see you holding hands '' This would be indeed wrong and worthy of being cuffed.

However in a football ground I feel that the circumstances are different, chanting like this should be taken light - heartedly! What is so different about Seagull fans calling us Pikeys and chavs? Is this not racist? Chanting ''The wheels on your house go around and round'' I cant see a difference.

If this was not your team, in all honesty, what would be your opinion on the matter?

Please no abusive posts, you will be wasting your time writing them!

Good luck for the season!

Hello BHAFC supporters, I am indeed a Palace fan, ( pikey, Nigel, chav ) what ever your preferred choice of name is. I just want to stick my ore in about the Homophobic chanting issue.

I am a little disgruntled to hear that two saints fans have been arrested over the matter as I don't see what the big deal is.

I am in no way Anti Gay, homophobic or have any bad words to say about Gay people! Life is yours and I feel people can have the choice on how they live it. I would never ever approach somebody in the street and start chanting, '' you take it up the bum'' or '' we can see you holding hands '' This would be indeed wrong and worthy of being cuffed.

However in a football ground I feel that the circumstances are different, chanting like this should be taken light - heartedly! What is so different about Seagull fans calling us Pikeys and chavs? Is this not racist? Chanting ''The wheels on your house go around and round'' I cant see a difference.

If this was not your team, in all honesty, what would be your opinion on the matter?

May I respectfully suggest that you wait until it is released what they sang/chanted before wading in.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Even though you're a pal**ce nigel c**t, I agree with what you say.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Yep, that sort of thinking really promotes football as a family game/event. Clearly see where your thinking comes from. No wonder your ground is rarely half full.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
am forced to agree....the whole issue of what can and cant be said on a football pitch and in a ground is boring and is giving the PC brigade a field day at the moment.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...However in a football ground I feel that the circumstances are different, chanting like this should be taken light - heartedly! What is so different about Seagull fans calling us Pikeys and chavs? Is this not racist? Chanting ''The wheels on your house go around and round'' I cant see a difference...

or a few 'light-hearted' monkey noises at the black players? Is that OK too?

RednBlue

Oct 4, 2011
Hillian, although it is true, what they chanted has not been released yet, but do you understand where I am coming from? I am not wading in! I just feel the whole thing is going to be massively blown out of proportion in the not so distant future!

RednBlue

Oct 4, 2011
Titanic, are you aware this still happens? I can not remember the web page but remember finding a link on this site about a black player being racially abused whilst warming up! he then came back out of the tunnel at half time with a banana and started parading around like a monkey! The crowd who rarely see black people ended up applauding him off the pitch! He played along, won their respect and certainly shut them up.

Hillian, although it is true, what they chanted has not been released yet, but do you understand where I am coming from? I am not wading in! I just feel the whole thing is going to be massively blown out of proportion in the not so distant future!

Yes I can see where you're coming from, but at this point no-one knows why they were arrested. The whole holding hands, boyfriend know you're here doesn't bother me in the slightest nor most others but If it was anything like the abuse hurled at the Barnsley game by a couple of idiots when there were clearly children in the queue then this is unacceptable.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have no idea why they were arrested, I doubt it was for chanting in the ground. It is hard to see someone take offense by the usualy dirgy chants we get. I personally wouldn't take offence to someone calling me a puff, or bender as it's pathetic, what I do take offence is being called a 'f***ing bum bandit' in front of small children when walking to the ground.

Now, do you think that is right? More than 2 people could have got arrested for offensive homophobic abuse Saturday and the Police would have been justified for doing so. It's not just chanting in the Ground, you know.

RednBlue

Oct 4, 2011
Yes I can see where you're coming from, but at this point no-one knows why they were arrested. The whole holding hands, boyfriend know you're here doesn't bother me in the slightest nor most others but If it was anything like the abuse hurled at the Barnsley game by a couple of idiots when there were clearly children in the queue then this is unacceptable.

What was said? Was it outside the ground?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Hello Nigel.

I agree with what you say, although as someone else has pointed out, it does depend on what they were chanting and where they were chanting it. The whole home end chanting "Does your boyfriend know you're here" to the away end, is in my opinion very different to a couple of lads chanting "HIV HIV" or something to a Brighton fan walking along outside the ground with his kids, if you see what I mean.

Do you agree?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham

Gotta agree with you there Nige

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

The thing is that the local plod on Southampton said before the game that they would not tolerate this behaviour, as this behaviour is against the law - in a football stadium as well as in the street, those who chose to ignore that advice did so knowing that the police may indeed arrest them.

If it was not my team I think I would be able to come up with something a little more original and on the right side if the law, it's not that difficult is it?

RednBlue

Oct 4, 2011
I have no idea why they were arrested, I doubt it was for chanting in the ground. It is hard to see someone take offense by the usualy dirgy chants we get. I personally wouldn't take offence to someone calling me a puff, or bender as it's pathetic, what I do take offence is being called a 'f***ing bum bandit' in front of small children when walking to the ground.

Now, do you think that is right? More than 2 people could have got arrested for offensive homophobic abuse yesterday and the Police would have been justified for doing so. It's not just chanting in the Ground, you know.

I'm all for chanting like this in the ground, with both sets of fans dishing it out. However outside the ground should be punishable by law, Yes! Do you not fear it is going to be blown out of proportion though, giving Brighton a bad reputation although YOU ARE DOING NOTHING WRONG?

RednBlue

Oct 4, 2011
The thing us that the local plod on Southampton said before the game that they would not tolerate this behaviour, as this behaviour is against the law - in a football stadium as well as in the street, those who chose to ignore that advice did so knowing that the police may indeed arrest them.

If it was not my team I think I would be able to come up with something a little more original and on the right side if the law, it's not that difficult is it?

Fair play, but what would happen if you have 2 -3000 people chanting a '' Homophobic chant '' ?

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven

I kinda agree with you to a point, "does your boyfriend know your here" although it's very boring now, it's light hearted and not too offensive. All this taking it up the arse and HIV bla bla bla is over the top. Almost as bad as i.e. Leeds fans singing about Munich...Banter is part and part of football, but there has to be some sort of code to be adhered to by all supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here