Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COX Dropped from team, and maybe moving on!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally don't think he plays that well when he is on the wing (left or right) and looks much more dangerous when in the centre. Sort of player that needs a team built around him rather than sloting into a system in my view.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Cox is a good lower division player with a bit of skill which can cause damage. I think that because he has skill people expect too much of him and think he should win every game because he has the ability to be dangerous. However he is a lower division player because he cant / has not done it every game. To be fair to him tho, he has had a few managers that liked hoofing it tho' so if he stays it will be interesting to see him under Poyet. Agree that in the middle of midfield behind the front two is his best position, get him on the ball and let him run at the defence from deep

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've never rated him as highly as other people have, I've rarely seen what he adds to the side and personally, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. Assuming we signed someone else to play on the left of midfield, and stop wasting Dicker and Navarro by playing them both in positions where neither can really stamp their authority on the game.

As for Cox, I think he'd do well at another club. He's always been highly thought of by teams we've been playing against, and I think he'd better off with a fresh start at a club. It's always hard for players to break into the first team from the youth team because they're much more harshly rated by the fans than players who are signed from other clubs. Maybe that's just this club, or this forum, I don't know. But players home grown players are always judged much more harshly, take a look at Tommy Fraser for example.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I've never rated him as highly as other people have, I've rarely seen what he adds to the side and personally, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. Assuming we signed someone else to play on the left of midfield, and stop wasting Dicker and Navarro by playing them both in positions where neither can really stamp their authority on the game.

As for Cox, I think he'd do well at another club. He's always been highly thought of by teams we've been playing against, and I think he'd better off with a fresh start at a club. It's always hard for players to break into the first team from the youth team because they're much more harshly rated by the fans than players who are signed from other clubs. Maybe that's just this club, or this forum, I don't know. But players home grown players are always judged much more harshly, take a look at Tommy Fraser for example.

The same Tommy Fraser who Port Vale fans think is useless? ???

Good player, very rarely has the ball nicked off him, often puts in a telling cross, and a very useful part of the midfield.
NOT good at corner-taking in my view, so I don't know why he's often taken them.

People crowed about Currie when he was with us, because of his pinpoint crosses - but they always went straight to the opposition's keeper so were basically hopeless and ineffective. Coxy puts the ball just far enough out of reach of keepers with crosses, and can have a dig sometimes too.

His workrate is constant and consistent, but it seems Gus doesn't think he's good for the whole 90 minutes because he hasn't given him that long once I don't think!
If I was manager I'd keep him in the middle but position him a little further forward, and encourage him to go for goal occasionally... especially from the edge of the area. Come to think about it, I'd always encourage our lads to have a shot from the edge of the area as it's far more effective than those lobs to the far post that always frustratingly got fended off or caught too easily.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Dean Cox is quite clearly Marmite Man.

Either you

marmite.jpg

or you

wallpaper-hate-medium.gif

Stumpy Tim

I've always been impressed when I've since Cox, which admittedly hasn't been too much. Last season's resurgence (as Slade said) happened because we found a system to get Cox into space. He's under rated by Albion fans

One thing we'll certainly miss is having a player who can play on both wings & in the middle. Bennett doesn't seem to be the same player on the left for example. Poyet has said he prefers Cox in the middle too - which given his penchance for 3 centre midfielders is good news for Cox.

I remember Leeds fans complaining that Wise & Poyet used to play with 4 central midfielders when they were managing there...

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Like all local players, he gets more criticism on NSC than he deserves.

The last two managers tried to replace him with total wasters - the unfit McLeod and the money-chasing, one-game wonder Arron Davies.

I'd rather he stayed.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have heard he is nailed on to play in everygame under Poyet as he has impressed so much in training and has that creative element to unlock defenses, just a rumour.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
One Vale fan is just a less extreme version of NSC. I don't think anyone has wished death upon him just yet, so he's still thought better of there than here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here