Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COX Dropped from team, and maybe moving on!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Southampton game raises an interesting point. I don't think Cox played any better or worse that day than he has been recently.

I feel he is being judged on the fact that one particular pass was turned in (very nicely) by a team-mate. He has been playing those good passes and intelligent passes all season and for seasons before that, but because they're not necessarily turned into something decent (a goal, a chance, a half-chance) by a colleague, the effort gets forgotten.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think he would be a loss if true. We haven't got many players like him.

Would expect Southampton to sign him if we're letting go.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
if we let him go we could end up regretting it
no doubt he's got the potential, we saw that on saturday when he came on

needs more of a chance though, maybe a short loan to league two wouldnt be a bad idea

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Southampton game raises an interesting point. I don't think Cox played any better or worse that day than he has been recently.

I feel he is being judged on the fact that one particular pass was turned in (very nicely) by a team-mate. He has been playing those good passes and intelligent passes all season and for seasons before that, but because they're not necessarily turned into something decent (a goal, a chance, a half-chance) by a colleague, the effort gets forgotten.

Agreed, in a very different way I think we would miss him as much as we have missed Hammond ever since he left. In basic terms he does stuff that other players don't. Unless we are going to splash some cash on someone who has proved it at this level or above I can't see why we would get rid of Cox. Unless of course Poyet doesn't like his attitude or something which is impossible to judge from outside.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
would be a huge loss. superb player who suffered from the chopping and changing last season, but still played a big part in keeping us up.

showed on saturday what he offers when played through the middle, his best position. he's a great little player.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
There's too many Cox bashers at Withers and on here - everyone forgets the assists - esp the oe at Saints and how clever it was - the first time cross to Muzza. I'm not saying Cox should start every game but as a squad player he's good. Both my mates said he played really well Sat - gave some much needed energy when he came on and should have started - I fully agree -

I agree regarding the superb assist at Southampton. If he was able to do that on a more consistent basis then Adams, Slade and now, Poyet would have had him as first choice on the team sheet. Sadly though Cox like his pal Jake Robinson has stagnated in his progress as a 'pro'. A move would give him another chance to progress and find his level, whether it be in League One or Two. A prospective Championship player he will never be.

Oct 25, 2003
he's a decent enough player, probably good enough for the squad but not necessarily the first team. Which is a shame because he looked like he could've been a cracking player but he's just gone a bit flat and not really progressed

being just a squad player might not be enough for him and he may wish to move on, good luck to him if so

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
he's a decent enough player, probably good enough for the squad but not necessarily the first team. Which is a shame because he looked like he could've been a cracking player but he's just gone a bit flat and not really progressed

being just a squad player might not be enough for him and he may wish to move on, good luck to him if so

that, I think, just about says it all :clap:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
If he's dropped from the team then nobody has told the club. See team news for Stockport.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Wycombe for Murray's fourth:)

Anyway, as you were...

Wycombe full stop! He was great on that game... and southampton and i think he injects a bit of life. When he gets teh ball he runs and doesn't usually go backwards - somthing we still tend to do!

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
He played well on Saturday, Poyet seems to like to bring him on as an impact sub.

thing is no one wants to come on as an impact sub they wanna be first on the pitch as the whistle blows. looks like he is using tunnicliffe and dickinson in the same way ... cant see why any player would want to stay under those conditions.:shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
thing is no one wants to come on as an impact sub they wanna be first on the pitch as the whistle blows. looks like he is using tunnicliffe and dickinson in the same way ... cant see why any player would want to stay under those conditions.:shrug:

because when Dicker/Navarro/Crofts' form drops Cox will get a chance and if he takes it he will get a run
Dickinson is waiting for Forster or Murray to slip up and hopefully his presence on the bench is keeping them trying 100%
Tunnicliffe had a run and his form dipped - now Virgo is in and playing his socks off - he and Elphick need to make sure they keep up their performance levels
Same for Painter/McNulty and Calderon/Hoyte

I think that is excellant management

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Truth is somewhere in between Easy 10 and The Large One. He's not a disgrace who is a waste of a shirt and contributes absolutely nothing, but on the other hand he's not good enough to get us out of this league the right way. Unlike some of our players, I would say he's good enough to be playing at this level, but only for a team with limited ambitions. He'd be perfect for a Brentford or Gillingham type club, but if we want to have a go at the top 6 next season then he's no use to us on a consistent basis.

I agree with some of what TLO says - he does keep going and the things I like about Cox are the exact opposite of what I dislike about players like Crofts and Fraser - he is ALWAYS busy. You'll never not notice him, he'll never do a disappearing act for 20 minutes at a time. But at the end of the day, sadly, he's not quite good enough with his final ball to warrant a place as a winger in our team in the future.

Bloody hell, I think I agree with you for once

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry, is no one else going to challenge the OP? how does someone get "dropped from the team" over a day before a game, unless maybe injured? its bollocks.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The key game where Cox made a difference this season was Wycombe when he came on for a late cameo in place of Davies and created a goal and a great chance. I think he has more vision than anyone else at the club, an opinion backed up by Cox having the most assists for the past THREE seasons.

Who are our current alternatives on the left? Carole? McLard? McNulty is still a full back in my book. Get rid of the shit, keep the talent. Would make absolutely no sense to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here