Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COX Dropped from team, and maybe moving on!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well I'm seriously struggling to remember a single positive contribution from Cox lately, or his last assist. He had a very decent season for us a couple of years ago, but since then I think he's done VERY little to justify his inclusion in the team. He's gone backwards, and never looked like recapturing his form.

The official stats say he has two assists (but then, only Bennett on eight and Forster on three have more). Even then the stats can be mis-leading. Supposing he puts in that magical 'lands on a sixpence' type cross, only for Dickinson or Forster to plant it on to the railway line...?

It's all about opinions, but for me, he is the sort of player who, even if he is not playing well, will still keep going for the team. His head doesn't drop and he doesn't cheat his team-mates by going missing.

His crossing can be hit-and-miss (but then again, whose crosses aren't?), but it's in making himself available for a Kuipers throw-out or keeping a move going where other players might be tempted to play safe and pass back, or covering a bombed-on left-back that doesn't necessarily get noticed.

There's more to his game than that killer-pass or the 25-yard screamer that many a demanding of him. He gets stuck in, has done so since he made his debut, and I appreciate his efforts even if he's not playing well.

None of that comes close to making out he's 'shithouse'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:lolol:

A move would be good for him and excellent for us.

I'm sorry have i missed something - a laughing milie at my opinion and not at all outrageous comment?

Anyone would think that's patronising??

There's too many Cox bashers at Withers and on here - everyone forgets the assists - esp the oe at Saints and how clever it was - the first time cross to Muzza. I'm not saying Cox should start every game but as a squad player he's good. Both my mates said he played really well Sat - gave some much needed energy when he came on and should have started - I fully agree - surely to laugh at my opinion is you being arrogant?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
The official stats say he has two assists (but then, only Bennett on eight and Forster on three have more). Even then the stats can be mis-leading. Supposing he puts in that magical 'lands on a sixpence' type cross, only for Dickinson or Forster to plant it on to the railway line...?

It's all about opinions, but for me, he is the sort of player who, even if he is not playing well, will still keep going for the team. His head doesn't drop and he doesn't cheat his team-mates by going missing.

His crossing can be hit-and-miss (but then again, whose crosses aren't?), but it's in making himself available for a Kuipers throw-out or keeping a move going where other players might be tempted to play safe and pass back, or covering a bombed-on left-back that doesn't necessarily get noticed.

There's more to his game than that killer-pass or the 25-yard screamer that many a demanding of him. He gets stuck in, has done so since he made his debut, and I appreciate his efforts even if he's not playing well.

Agree. I never understand the stick that Cox gets on here. Perhaps he raised expectation levels too high in his first season...?

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
True, a decent cross in for the first goal.
But overall I don't think he's quick enough or strong enough, nor is he a particularly inventive passer of the ball. And I'm not even going to bother mentioning his corner kicks.

Most of the time his corners do go to waste but sometimes it's the positioning of the players aswell.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He is a bloody good player, we'd miss him TERRIBLY if he moved on. I'd go as far as to say he's been criminally underrated throughout much of his time in the first team; often he's been about the only genuinely creative-looking player out there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

His crossing can be hit-and-miss, but it's in making himself available for a Kuipers throw-out or keeping a move going where other players might be tempted to play safe and pass back, or covering a bombed-on left-back that doesn't necessarily get noticed.

I wasn't questioning his attitude, its just the lack of an end product to his play. He doesn't seem capable of getting round a player, and when he does, he invariably jinks back inside to lob over an ineffective cross onto the first defender. We've got plenty of players in the team who's job it is to "get stuck in". But with Cox's diminutive stature he's never going to be someone who can put a foot in and run the midfield, so to justify his place in the team, you're looking for a bit of creativity from him. And I'm sorry, I've just not seen enough of that from him in a long time.

He's an adequate player at this level. But as I say, if we're really looking at making a serious push next season, we're going to need better and more consistant quality than Cox in the side.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So much of the above could've been said for Loft and Fraser - effort, energy, head doesn't go down, always tries, passion, commitment etc etc.

We're doing alright without them aren't we? It's a shame that Cox hasn't quite progressed as we could've hoped but at the end of the day he has done very little of note in the last couple of seasons, hasn't he?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Let him move on he's not good enough to be in a side that is going to win this league, and it seems he js not happy to be a squad player. So good luck to the lad and hope he can pick up the form he showed when he was being managed by Wilkins.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:facepalm:

Yes because energy wins you matches..?

f*** me what is it with WANK smilies and people on here :US::tantrum::wave::D:angry:

You said what did he contribute - amongst some good runs and passes he also contributed some much needed ENERGYwhenwe were looking like our legs had gone - Is my opinon OK with you?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
So much of the above could've been said for Loft and Fraser - effort, energy, head doesn't go down, always tries, passion, commitment etc etc.

We're doing alright without them aren't we? It's a shame that Cox hasn't quite progressed as we could've hoped but at the end of the day he has done very little of note in the last couple of seasons, hasn't he?

Cox has got MILES more ability than those two.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Well I'm seriously struggling to remember a single positive contribution from Cox lately, or his last assist. He had a very decent season for us a couple of years ago, but since then I think he's done VERY little to justify his inclusion in the team. He's gone backwards, and never looked like recapturing his form.

Wycombe for Murray's fourth:)

Anyway, as you were...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
I was quite impressed with what he showed on Saturday. I think with the right coaching (and encouragement) Cox would still be worthy of a place in our "new" squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wycombe for Murray's fourth:)

Anyway, as you were...

Fair enough, perhaps I'm being harsh then (I wasn't at Wycombe).
But I stand by my view, he's just not consistant enough to carry a real threat to the opposition any more. Mind you, I'd still have him in ahead of Carole. What Gus is doing there, I have no idea.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cox has got MILES more ability than those two.

Of course he has, my point was those were the reasons people were giving for keeping him, I was showing why those reasons in themselves were null and void.

I think he is someone who will want to be starting at whichever club he plays for. We can't offer him that in my opinion. Southampton is the only performance that sticks in my mind from the last 2 seasons. Any more?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Mind you, I'd still have him in ahead of Carole. What Gus is doing there, I have no idea.

would that be the Carole who forced a save out of Guzan after a good run on Saturday as opposed to Cox who, to his credit, looked industrious and covered McNulty (as Dicker had singularly failed to do) but failed to create any opportunities or pose a threat forward ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
would that be the Carole who forced a save out of Guzan after a good run on Saturday as opposed to Cox who, to his credit, looked industrious and covered McNulty (as Dicker had singularly failed to do) but failed to create any opportunities or pose a threat forward ???

If Carole turns out to be the guy we had in his first spell at the club then fantastic. If he's the same as he was in his more recent second spell, then he's a waste of a shirt. A late potshot at Villa has not yet convinced me that we have got back the Carole of old just yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here