Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COVIDIOTS hot spots

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Common sense?

Why would you travel 20 miles for exercise when you could, I'm sure, improvise with a little less travel with only a little bit of thought.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Of all the things to be berating Bungle about this isn’t one of them IMO. It’s just another thing for the terminally angry to get noisy about. 7 miles is barely 30 mins away on a bike, even for an unfit **** in a suit. If he started at home I can’t see what the issue is. ‘5 miles’ has never been a rule and there is no time limit.

I’ll happily be going for runs (totally alone) that take me 7 miles from home. Shoot me now.

Has it been reported anywhere that he started at home yet? All reports I have read say that they have not clarified. Happy to be shown otherwise.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Separately, both scientists and public health officials in interviews over the last two days have mentioned that there’s next to no risk of transmitting CV19 outdoors, when 2m or more apart. They are very clear about this.

What’s the harm from any of us going on a longish run or bike ride, either solo or just with a member of our household? None.

To that run or bike ride into going round the bloke dozens of times to satisfy a curtain twitcher, is nonsensical.

Yeah I agree. It's not an airborne virus. It's only a problem indoors and where people are in very close proximity to one another outdoors (which more people are in some parks, as people have been told they can't travel very far, so are staying local).

Hopefully the police 'exercise' a bit more common sense and we don't see any more stupid fines. On the flipside, the police only fined 3 people out of 100 at that Sussex Uni 'Lockdown Party'.So where they should be fining more people for higher risk activies, they aren't. It just sends the wrong message.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has it been reported anywhere that he started at home yet? All reports I have read say that they have not clarified. Happy to be shown otherwise.

Dunno....that’s why I said ‘if’......if drove somewhere else then he deserves it (unless he started from his office, in which case that’d be ok as well in my book)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the last ten months? We have been in lockdown for all that time for a start.

The PM should be seen to be whiter than white, not stretching the already flimsy rules.

This is from the Times

So there you go. Once again he’s damaging lockdown efforts.

Only in the mind of the always unhappy looking for a zzzz political story or a ‘ we’ve got him’ moment.

Anyone bike riding 7 miles from home is not committing an offence, 7 miles in cycling terms is nothing. I still await your hard evidence on rules or laws to prove otherwise. Not your own opinion or that of a hack.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dunno....that’s why I said ‘if’......if drove somewhere else then he deserves it (unless he started from his office, in which case that’d be ok as well in my book)

(No friend of the government) O’Brien on LBC mentioned that with security threats, he wouldn’t expect any PM to cycle through central London’s streets. He wondered if the security detail had sensibly driven the PM to a safer area.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Only in the mind of the always unhappy looking for a zzzz political story or a ‘ we’ve got him’ moment.

Anyone bike riding 7 miles from home is not committing an offence, 7 miles in cycling terms is nothing. I still await your hard evidence on rules or laws to prove otherwise. Not your own opinion or that of a hack.

Pretty certain I heard the legislation was anyone travelling more than 15Km from home had to have a good reason. Nothing to see here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pretty certain I heard the legislation was anyone travelling more than 15Km from home had to have a good reason. Nothing to see here.

Don’t think there is a distance in the legislation - if there was we wouldn’t have the confusion.

Even if it was, I wouldn’t even consider the actual bike ride ‘travelling’ anyway - exercise that begins and starts at home (or office) should be ok whatever route you take. Travelling to go on a bike ride elsewhere if a different issue.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Aren’t most bike rides in excess of 7 miles? And do you recommend cyclists just going around the same park many times?

Perhaps you could suggest a brief paragraph to clarify the requirements to show how easy it is

I personally don't have an issue with it. I have an issue with the guildelines stating you have to stay local. The guidelines don't mention cycling, only exercise. Is 7 miles local? Who knows? 'Local' is a relative term and that's the problem. The guidelines also state "you should stay in your village, town, or part of the city" so it's not down to me to 'suggest a brief paragraph to clarify the requirements' it's fhe Governments job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As usual the rules are opaque and therefore being used as a stick by people with an agenda. All that is needed is common sense. Cycling to work by yourself - fine. Cycling for an hour by yourself as exercise - fine. You'll end up a bit away if you're decent but still be on your own. Running by yourself, especially on rarely used trails - fine.

Going for a walk for 15 mins with your dog near your house and "accidentally" meeting loads of your friends on the same walk, as I've repeatedly seen with the elderly and young families - bloody stupid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don’t think there is a distance in the legislation - if there was we wouldn’t have the confusion.

Even if it was, I wouldn’t even consider the actual bike ride ‘travelling’ anyway - exercise that begins and starts at home (or office) should be ok whatever route you take. Travelling to go on a bike ride elsewhere if a different issue.

Driving to exercise elsewhere is permitted, the police have apologise to the ladies who were fined. The National Association of Chief Police Officers have also clarified this.

Obviously within reason eg Welsh forces legitimately fining and towing away cars of people who’d travelled away from their own cities to welsh beauty spots.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Driving to exercise elsewhere is permitted, the police have apologise to the ladies who were fined. The National Association of Chief Police Officers have also clarified this.

Obviously within reason eg Welsh forces legitimately fining and towing away cars of people who’d travelled away from their own cities to welsh beauty spots.

Yes....depends how far though........and from a common sense perspective if you’re just going to trundle along on your bike for an hour most wouldn’t NEED to drive anywhere. I’ve got a number of places I like to run that are a 30 min drive away but as far as I’m concerned they are out of bounds for now as there are plenty of other places closer.

In other news, have a look at this tweet and the comments. FFS. Silly ****h.

https://twitter.com/juliahb1/status/1348903032394817536?s=21

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Apparently Steyning was "residents only" on Saturday, enforced by plod, because of the number of people in town after walking on the downs on Friday.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s a very vague rule. Local? Well it’s all debatable, which is the problem. However, I don’t see that “it’s about an half hour ride on a bike” is a legitimate argument . Yes. It is. But that’s no way to judge it. Half an hour in a car could put you 25 miles away from your front door, does that make it okay because “it’s nothing in a car”?

The bloke’s a moron and he loves stretching his own rules. And he doesn’t care less .

For the record, my personal view is his bike ride was safe and likely within rules. Just incredibly stupid and wholly inadvisable.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It’s a very vague rule. Local? Well it’s all debatable, which is the problem. However, I don’t see that “it’s about an half hour ride on a bike” is a legitimate argument . Yes. It is. But that’s no way to judge it. Half an hour in a car could put you 25 miles away from your front door, does that make it okay because “it’s nothing in a car”?

The bloke’s a moron and he loves stretching his own rules. And he doesn’t care less .

For the record, my personal view is his bike ride was safe and likely within rules. Just incredibly stupid and wholly inadvisable.

Agree he should be whiter than white and sticking to the rules that he expects others to adhere to not do his upmost to stretch them

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It is though - it’s allowable exercise. A 30 min car journey isn’t allowable other than for work etc.

So, let’s say he wanted to do 90 mins exercise on his bike. What should be have done ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...es-preposterous-says-met-police-commissioner/

ministers should consider setting a maximum distance that people can go for exercise in the wake of Boris Johnson's cycle trip, Britain's most senior police officer has said.

Dame Cressida Dick, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, on Tuesday called for greater "clarity" in the law following controversies over the Prime Minister's bike ride seven miles from Downing Street and two women's five-mile journey for a walk in Derbyshire.

She said Mr Johnson had not broken the law by cycling at the Olympic Park in east London, seven miles from Downing Street, at the weekend, adding that her interpretation of "local" under the lockdown regulations was "going for your exercise from your front door and coming back to your front door"

However, the Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner, David Munro, said: "The fact we're having to debate whether the Prime Minister broke the rules or not is proof we need more clarity about them, isn't it?"

Downing Street has declined to clarify whether Mr Johnson had cycled the seven miles from Number 10 to the Olympic Park in Stratford, where he was spotted on Sunday, or had travelled there by other means in order to go cycling.

He’s the PM, not some women out on a walk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Why was it stupid? A solo bike ride (or with your household) poses no risk to anyone.

Until he was photographed cycling, no one other than a couple of anti exercise types, ever had a opinion of bike riding for exercise during the pandemic. In part because it’s with the law and the rules.

Take Johnson out of this as he flames party political opinions, I genuinely wouldn’t be averse to hearing that Starmer or any celeb took bike rides that were a few miles from home. It really is harmless and legal.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why was it stupid? A solo bike ride (or with your household) poses no risk to anyone.

Until he was photographed cycling, no one other than a couple of anti exercise types, ever had a opinion of bike riding for exercise during the pandemic. In part because it’s with the law and the rules.

Take Johnson out of this as he flames party political opinions, I genuinely wouldn’t be averse to hearing that Starmer or any celeb took bike rides that were a few miles from home. It really is harmless and legal.

I completely agree. There's enough meaningful sticks to beat Johnson with, no need to go for him on something so ridiculous. However I suspect his advisors know this and are quite happy for this to take up front page news as opposed to other stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here