Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COVIDIOTS hot spots

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The government should be enforcing that any medium to large sized supermarket has to have a security guard on the door to ensure compliance with one adult alone shopping and mask wearing and one covid marshal inside the store ensuring strict social distancing measures are enforced. If they can't do this they should be closed.

Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's a perfect storm of weakness, stupidity.
The rules regarding lockdown are so weak except stay at home, the Government have been shockingly weak when it comes down to telling the public what they have to do.
We would not be in this position if our world beating track and trace system actually existed and if we had gone into a full and proper lockdown.
The virus is so infectious and yet Johnson allowed people to meet up over Christmas.
Mistake after mistake has been made and that is why we are where we are.
Except that they have relied on the common sense of the 'great British public"
Well good luck with that because the public is infested with idiots who either refuse to do the sensible thing or are unable to think what is the best thing to do.
So called mask exemptions, wearing a mask will not hurt you and if it does then wear a chuffing visor, amazing how suddenly so many have breathing problems.
I see so many people clearly going against all common sense because they just don't want to or they don't believe in the virus.
Amazingly, I am allowed to carry on doing my job as apparently I am essential, am I ****, I visit 2 to 4 different households per day, I am staying at home and only going out with the dog for an hour and I go to the supermarket once a week when I think it will not be too busy.
I hate it, but its not that difficult is it.
The Government needs to get a grip and realise how many thickos there are in this country now.
How can the virus be much worse and the NHS really struggling and yet the lockdown be weaker than the one in the Spring.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What about booking a shopping slot, if you can’t get a delivery. Some people actually want to shop so they get what they want. Not a load of substituted products. Just a thought.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do you not have anyone else in your household or friends and family who can wear a mask who can do your shopping on your behalf, the risk goes two ways with mask wearing, and for those with medical exemptions I'd wager a high proportion of these are at higher risk of serious illness with covid and given the massive prevalence in the whole UK currently we shouldn't be shopping unless it is absolutely essential.

My wife is exempt as she suffers from a rare lung disease rendering her disabled. A cold has put her in intensive care so to her covid is a death sentence. Apart from going to our horses on our land a few miles away she hasn't been anywhere for 9 months. I take her car to the garage and do all the shopping. We haven't had anyone near our house. We are fortunate we live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by open farm land. All post deliveries are left at the end of our drive.

Having taken all the advice and kept up to date with all the data, I don't understand the utter stupidity of some that want to blame the government or authorities etc it's down to me, you, them to take responsibility for each and everyone's actions. A lanyard bought from Ebay telling me they're exempt means nothing to me, it's rubbish it's not going to save me from their virus and I still challenge them. My wife has 40% lung capacity, brittle asthma along with her condition, Lams disease yet if need be she can wear a mask. Anxiety may be a barrier, but even then a scarf or face guard maybe.

If I offend anyone, sorry, but being offended won't kill you breathing covid on people will.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agreed .... I wear a lanyard ... and while wearing it I've not been challenged ( in fact thanked by some shop assistants ). My problem is the mask shaming that still continues ..... it's like branding every football support a hooligan - and I'm sure we've all experienced that at some point - you know, lets just heard them all to the station, regardless of if they need a train or not. #benice

Ok but if I am balancing the risk of mask exemption and what is going on in our ICU units at the moment, I’m afraid the exemptions just have to go. They undermine the ability of the authorities to enforce a zero tolerance approach. In my view all those exempt need to find other ways to go about their business. People are on ventilators and dying. Same goes for schools. All should be closed. We have a clear choice, which is to continue with all kinds of exemptions and have more people die or do something about it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They didn't work.

They just caused unnecessary congestion. People leaning over each other to buy a product. The odd person who didn't realise there is a one way system in place going the wrong way (usually old). Another odd person who forgot something in the aisle and backtracked past a queue of people. The person in a rush and overtook a queue of people. Others who simply did not adhere.

The one way system was an absolute mess. Do NOT bring it back.

This is correct, you have waves of people coming in due to the 1 in 1 out which means parts of the store was empty whilst others packed, which lead to people not following it because they would go to the quieter bit first.

You then have stackers down some aisle meaning less space, so it made sense for people to swerve that one and go back when less people are down it.

Home shopping pickers took space as well.

What happened to common sense?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This is correct, you have waves of people coming in due to the 1 in 1 out which means parts of the store was empty whilst others packed, which lead to people not following it because they would go to the quieter bit first.

You then have stackers down some aisle meaning less space, so it made sense for people to swerve that one and go back when less people are down it.

There isn’t much of it about. We need enforcement from stewards, telling people not to do the things you have listed, on penalty of being thrown out. Time for the wishy washy approach to be binned.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No time or patience for these self-proclaimed 'mask-exemptees.' Either wear a mask or find another way of getting the goods you need. Thousands are dying, the economy is screwed, kids can't get a basic education and the NHS is teetering on the brink. Yet still they don't want to wear a mask or a visor or make an alternative provision, prolonging this thing for everybody.

But of course they will be the first ones jumping up and down and outraged if a loved one is involved in a serious RTC and there is no Intensive Care capacity available because it is full of Covid patients. Which is exactly what is happening.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We tried at a couple of Sainsbury’s but were put off by lack of a system on arrival. Needed a numbering system to avoid queue jumping. Much better organized at Tesco where there were queuing lanes to drive in to. We have no problem booking deliveries in our area so will stick with this.

Yeah Tescos is great for this. In and out every time, zero queueing, friendly staff etc

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There isn’t much of it about. We need enforcement from stewards, telling people not to do the things you have listed, on penalty of being thrown out. Time for the wishy washy approach to be binned.

What is better, carrying on down a rammed aisle, or going to the quiet part of the store?

You cant stop and wait as you will have people behind you which will cause a queue

This is before they are discussing 3m social distancing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They didn't work.

They just caused unnecessary congestion. People leaning over each other to buy a product. The odd person who didn't realise there is a one way system in place going the wrong way (usually old). Another odd person who forgot something in the aisle and backtracked past a queue of people. The person in a rush and overtook a queue of people. Others who simply did not adhere.

It seemed to work well enough in both stores I frequent.

Sure you'd get the occasional person who was either completely oblivious or momentarily forgot (and I include myself in that) but, in the main, it seemed to work well enough and felt likely to reduce face-to-face approaches where breath could be "exchanged".

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
They didn't work.

I would agree with this. I would argue that I actually spend less time close to people being allowed to walk both ways along an aisle. If I want something 1 m to my left I have to walk 40 m up one aisle and back down the other side passing lots of people, instead of just 1 m passing nobody; the amount of people I would pass is infinitely higher. Overall I also spend less time in the shop.

Just stay 2 m away from people.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I would agree with this. I would argue that I actually spend less time close to people being allowed to walk both ways along an aisle. If I want something 1 m to my left I have to walk 40 m up one aisle and back down the other side passing lots of people, instead of just 1 m passing nobody; the amount of people I would pass is infinitely higher. Overall I also spend less time in the shop.

Just stay 2 m away from people.

Yep...my experience so I agree.....all different experiences and different opinions

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No time or patience for these self-proclaimed 'mask-exemptees.' Either wear a mask or find another way of getting the goods you need. Thousands are dying, the economy is screwed, kids can't get a basic education and the NHS is teetering on the brink. Yet still they don't want to wear a mask or a visor or make an alternative provision, prolonging this thing for everybody.

But of course they will be the first ones jumping up and down and outraged if a loved one is involved in a serious RTC and there is no Intensive Care capacity available because it is full of Covid patients. Which is exactly what is happening.

It like the "Baby on Board" sticker in the rear window of cars, pointless crap. It's dangerous and should be stopped and shouldn't be worn like some badge of honour.

It's normally the same type of person as well, like fat people in buggies. Bet they all fink Mrs Browns Boys is the best ever comedy.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

The home.shopping pickers wind me up. Many a time.ive had to wait whilst there are 2 or 3 of them blocking an aisle. When I was in retail I would've been expected to move aside for a customer rather than expect them to wait

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What is better, carrying on down a rammed aisle, or going to the quiet part of the store?

You cant stop and wait as you will have people behind you which will cause a queue

This is before they are discussing 3m social distancing.

With less people in shops it would be perfectly possible to wait if marshalled by stewards. People don’t wait because they can’t be bothered. Tell them what to do and they will do it if penalties for non compliance are in place. The greater good is not best served by everyone making their own selfish decisions eg making unilateral decisions to go to what they see as a quieter part of the shop. The pandemic has rather proven this to be true.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With less people in shops it would be perfectly possible to wait if marshalled by stewards. People don’t wait because they can’t be bothered. Tell them what to do and they will do it if penalties for non compliance are in place. The greater good is not best served by everyone making their own selfish decisions eg making unilateral decisions to go to what they see as a quieter part of the shop. The pandemic has rather proven this to be true.

You paint a picture of everyone ...in my experience it’s not like that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I can only go on what I witnessed whilst I worked in one during Furlough - The staff in the store I work in felt safer without the one way system.

Nothing was open in March/April when this was happening and there were marshals in-place, how many stewards would be needed and who covers the cost?

It is not a case of all people not being bothered to wait, there is a limited to how long you can wait before the queue backs up making it worse - do you have time limits in place for each shopper for each aisle?

You are just going to cause a crush in areas of the store, unless you let about 50 people in at once which causes others issues such as standing in the rain/is it worth the shop even opening?

Fining people and penalties isn't the answer to everything.

Then again I have not seen the mass of people not wearing masks as mentioned on this thread, who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here