Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

counties in england never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Oh Christ. I think I, and geography teachers around the globe, have just slumped into an irreversible coma.

Right.

Cornwall is a county. Neither Plymouth, nor Torquay, is in it.

Leeds is in what, until about 1986, was known as the "Metropolitan County of West Yorkshire". It's now in a place called "Leeds". Nothing else. The official advice of the Royal Mail is just to put LEEDS as the bit below the street name and above the post code on an envelope. Nothing else.

Westmorland ceased to exist in 1974. It became part of Cumbria (which comprised all of Cumberland, and Westmorland, and parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire). Barrow-in-Furness was in Lancashire before 1974.

Middlesbrough is in a place called "Middlesbrough". Between 1974 and 1986 it was in a county called Cleveland. Before that, it was in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Newcastle United play in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Between 1974 and 1986 this was in the Metropolitan County of Tyne and Wear. Before then, it was in Northumberland.

The Isle of Wight is in a county called "The Isle of Wight". However, if you call 999 there, your call will be answered by Hampshire police.

Middlesex County Cricket Club play in the City of Westminster. Surrey County Cricket Club play in the London Borough of Lambeth. Brentford FC play in the London Borough of Hounslow.

Everyone OK?

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Not sure that even exists anymore. But it was on that map so I think we should count it.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
tommy boy said:
so what counties have never had a league football team?

You need to be more specific. Which current administrative counties? (East Sussex, or Kent, or the Isle of Wight) Which current ceremonial counties? (Sussex or Lancashire or -- arguably -- Greater Manchester) Which historic counties? (Middlesex or GLoucestershire?)

What do you mean?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Oh Christ. I think I, and geography teachers around the globe, have just slumped into an irreversible coma.

Right.

Cornwall is a county. Neither Plymouth, nor Torquay, is in it.

Leeds is in what, until about 1986, was known as the "Metropolitan County of West Yorkshire". It's now in a place called "Leeds". Nothing else. The official advice of the Royal Mail is just to put LEEDS as the bit below the street name and above the post code on an envelope. Nothing else.

Westmorland ceased to exist in 1974. It became part of Cumbria (which comprised all of Cumberland, and Westmorland, and parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire). Barrow-in-Furness was in Lancashire before 1974.

Middlesbrough is in a place called "Middlesbrough". Between 1974 and 1986 it was in a county called Cleveland. Before that, it was in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Newcastle United play in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Between 1974 and 1986 this was in the Metropolitan County of Tyne and Wear. Before then, it was in Northumberland.

The Isle of Wight is in a county called "The Isle of Wight". However, if you call 999 there, your call will be answered by Hampshire police.

Middlesex County Cricket Club play in the City of Westminster. Surrey County Cricket Club play in the London Borough of Lambeth. Brentford FC play in the London Borough of Hounslow.

Everyone OK?

what about Gtr Manchester?

I AM RIGHT LES

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here