Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

counties in england never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Tyrone Biggums said:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_League_football_teams_by_traditional_county

is the site addy without the http:// crud

that has confused me even more

might just give up and go to the pub

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just cut and paste that into a new window

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_League_football_teams_by_traditional_county

and if that don't work i'll fuckin write it on a bit of paper and post it over

:down:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Oh Christ. I think I, and geography teachers around the globe, have just slumped into an irreversible coma.

Right.

Cornwall is a county. Neither Plymouth, nor Torquay, is in it.

Leeds is in what, until about 1986, was known as the "Metropolitan County of West Yorkshire". It's now in a place called "Leeds". Nothing else. The official advice of the Royal Mail is just to put LEEDS as the bit below the street name and above the post code on an envelope. Nothing else.

Westmorland ceased to exist in 1974. It became part of Cumbria (which comprised all of Cumberland, and Westmorland, and parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire). Barrow-in-Furness was in Lancashire before 1974.

Middlesbrough is in a place called "Middlesbrough". Between 1974 and 1986 it was in a county called Cleveland. Before that, it was in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Newcastle United play in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Between 1974 and 1986 this was in the Metropolitan County of Tyne and Wear. Before then, it was in Northumberland.

The Isle of Wight is in a county called "The Isle of Wight". However, if you call 999 there, your call will be answered by Hampshire police.

Middlesex County Cricket Club play in the City of Westminster. Surrey County Cricket Club play in the London Borough of Lambeth. Brentford FC play in the London Borough of Hounslow.

Everyone OK?

1. Cumberland
2. Northumbria

According to the old maps.

Also, the question wasn't just about current counties. So there.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Tyrone Biggums said:
Just cut and paste that into a new window

and if that don't work i'll fuckin write it on a bit of paper and post it over

:down:

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Stop being a f***ing numpty you. Greater Manchester is a county, both politically and as far as the Royal Mail is concerned.

No its not.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Oh Christ. I think I, and geography teachers around the globe, have just slumped into an irreversible coma.

Right.

Cornwall is a county. Neither Plymouth, nor Torquay, is in it.

Leeds is in what, until about 1986, was known as the "Metropolitan County of West Yorkshire". It's now in a place called "Leeds". Nothing else. The official advice of the Royal Mail is just to put LEEDS as the bit below the street name and above the post code on an envelope. Nothing else.

Westmorland ceased to exist in 1974. It became part of Cumbria (which comprised all of Cumberland, and Westmorland, and parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire). Barrow-in-Furness was in Lancashire before 1974.

Middlesbrough is in a place called "Middlesbrough". Between 1974 and 1986 it was in a county called Cleveland. Before that, it was in the North Riding of Yorkshire. Newcastle United play in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne. Between 1974 and 1986 this was in the Metropolitan County of Tyne and Wear. Before then, it was in Northumberland.

The Isle of Wight is in a county called "The Isle of Wight". However, if you call 999 there, your call will be answered by Hampshire police.

Middlesex County Cricket Club play in the City of Westminster. Surrey County Cricket Club play in the London Borough of Lambeth. Brentford FC play in the London Borough of Hounslow.

Everyone OK?

No its not.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Working in local Government (in G Manchester actually) reading this thread is fascinating!

It just illustrates how totally f***ed up and confused the current system is!

The natural reaction is, well why doesn't soemone sort it out?

Politics isn't like that unfortunately. Abolishing or reorganising costs people jobs (which is important) and/or elected Councillors status and kudos (much less important). But for that reason reorganising it logically is never likely to happen. And compared to education, taxes, the economy etc; is it really a priority when you've just won an election? Or if you're going to have to fight one soon?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here