Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

counties in england never to have a league side....ever, ever EVER?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
You need to be more specific. Which current administrative counties? (East Sussex, or Kent, or the Isle of Wight) Which current ceremonial counties? (Sussex or Lancashire or -- arguably -- Greater Manchester) Which historic counties? (Middlesex or GLoucestershire?)

What do you mean?
Sorry ... Sussex is NOT a ceremonial county. Ceremonial counties have a Lord Lieutenant, who represents the Queen at local level.

There is a Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex (who covers the City of Brighton & Hove as well as the administrative county of East Sussex). She is Mrs Phyllida Stewart-Roberts.

And there is a Lord Lieutenant of West Sussex. He is Mr Hugh Wyatt.

And the Isle of Wight used to be part of Hampshire. That means that the Isle of Wight used to be in the same county as Southampton FC and Portsmouth FC, which means (I think) that the Isle of Wight doesn't meet the criteria set out in the original question.

The same reasoning eliminates Rutland, which (from 1974 until 1997 only) was in the same county as Leicester City play.

Last edited:

tommy boy said:
lord b, you know f***ing LOADS

can you give me a FINAL ANSWER to my question please?
Before revealing my answer, I think we should have a bit more discussion about whether Berwick Rangers (in Northumberland) count as a "league side".

Oct 25, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Before revealing my answer, I think we should have a bit more discussion about whether Berwick Rangers (in Northumberland) count as a "league side".

yeah top call, it is CLEARLY in northumberland (know the area well)...but they are not a LEAGUE side in england (although that was NEVER specified)

are they even PROFESSIONAL?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Thats the most northerly english town, so Northumberland wouldnt count

Oct 25, 2003
The Northstander said:
Thats the most northerly english town, so Northumberland wouldnt count

but then you're getting into a shady area, do we need to include all the welsh counties, as they are represented in the football league?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Of course they do! The original question only stated League side, not 'English Football League'.

So by using this understanding we can also include the Conference, Rymans, County Leagues etc.

So the answer is

'None'

Every County has had a League side

:lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
BHA links said:
Of course they do! The original question only stated League side, not 'English Football League'.

So by using this understanding we can also include the Conference, Rymans, County Leagues etc.

So the answer is

'None'

Every County has had a League side

:lolol:

hmmm

the "league" is premiership-league 2

everyone else is "non-league"

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
tommy boy said:
you're such a JOKER carlos

I certainly am keeping myself entertained. Poor old bhutz or whatever his name is went to all that trouble to prove me wrong when I knew all along that Greater Manc is not part of Lancashire as I lived there for about 4 years.

I'm quite the prankster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here