Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council tax or suicide?

Feb 12, 2012
It's statutory debt so it's unavoidable. You'd be better off refusing to pay your electric or your credit card bills.

The council simply apply for a court order to take the money either from whatever earnings you have, which you can do nothing about, or they send the bailiffs round and you can have lots of fun never answering your own door to anyone again.

Yes. I have had experience of the council bailiffs forcing their way into my house to try to steal my stuff. I am happy to pay extortionate prices for my electricity.. just not for my council tax. Do I need counselling?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I am not doing this for me! (well apart from my ego). I am doing this for you lot. Ok three months.. and then if I refuse to pay again.. what?

You'll just keep having to pay more than if you just pay it (because of the added on costs of recovery) and they'll get it direct from your wages. They can get an attachment of earnings order that means they can just take it from you. If you're not working you'll be liable for council tax support anyway and they'll just take what you do owe from your other benefits.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ha! No.. it was probably for the suicide threat. We must not discuss taboos on here.

And it was not deleted for merely discussing the subject of suicide either...

Feb 12, 2012
Anyway.. I am gonna stop my direct debit to the council from today. I cannot afford it. I will let you know my progress. I would like that they just leave me alone. But that is just wishful thinking.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Anyway.. I am gonna stop my direct debit to the council from today. I cannot afford it. I will let you know my progress. I would like that they just leave me alone. But that is just wishful thinking.

I'd advise you to contact the council and seek advice and assistance. Contrary to what some people might think, they don't actually want to take people to court and can be very helpful if you are having diffuculty paying.
If, however, you are just wilfully refusing to pay so that you can spend more on "whisky and smokes" then neither the council not the courts will have much sympathy.

Feb 12, 2012
You'll just keep having to pay more than if you just pay it (because of the added on costs of recovery) and they'll get it direct from your wages. They can get an attachment of earnings order that means they can just take it from you. If you're not working you'll be liable for council tax support anyway and they'll just take what you do owe from your other benefits.

I am trying to live off my private pension. I have never ever claimed benefits from the state. And if I have nothing now how can they take it? Only by force.

Feb 12, 2012
I'd advise you to contact the council and seek advice and assistance. Contrary to what some people might think, they don't actually want to take people to court and can be very helpful if you are having diffuculty paying.
If, however, you are just wilfully refusing to pay so that you can spend more on "whisky and smokes" then neither the council not the courts will have much sympathy.

Ha! After 30 years of paying my taxes and they want to stop my enjoyment in life...? Who do you work for? Slave.

Feb 12, 2012
I would rather be dead than be a slave... but anyway... I am now gonna take a stand. And see what happens. I will let you know.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I am trying to live off my private pension. I have never ever claimed benefits from the state. And if I have nothing now how can they take it? Only by force.

If you have nothing then you will be entitled to council tax benefit, which I think is 100% if you have nothing. If you have capital or savings including pension of less than 16,000 you will be entitled to some benefit. But what you do owe they can recoup either from your employer or your bank.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What happened to this thread? Ok guys. I have decided not to commit suicide just yet. I am going to refuse to pay my council tax and not bloat anymore the pockets of local government to waste on waste. Let us face the truth.. we are just supporting those that do not deserve it. So... what is going to happen to me now? Prison probably... I will let you know what happens next.. if they allow me NSC access from my jail. ;-)

Sorry for appearing thick, but why exactly have you decided to stop paying it? Why do you think you should be exempt from it when everyone else has to still pay council tax?

Presumably, should anything happen to you, and you needed assistance from a hospital, or the police or fire brigades, you would be dialling 999? Or if your street lights stopped working you would complain, or if there was a burst water main you would take the supply of fresh water that is on offer?

If not, then good luck to you. I can't honestly think that the flip side of not paying for potentially worthwhile (or even, ironically, life-saving services), is to look to suicide.

Besides which, if you're user name is anything to go by, why are you bothered in the first place?

Feb 12, 2012
If you have nothing then you will be entitled to council tax benefit, which I think is 100% if you have nothing. If you have capital or savings including pension of less than 16,000 you will be entitled to some benefit. But what you do owe they can recoup either from your employer or your bank.

100% council tax benefit? How much do they owe me then? I do not want anything from this state. I just want them to stop stealing what I cannot afford.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I quite like having my bins collected, the roads paved (well, allowing for the odd pothole), the police, fire, ambulance, coastguards, street lighting and all the other things that council tax pay for.

Oh well, some people clearly prefer the dark ages. More fool them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
100% council tax benefit? How much do they owe me then? I do not want anything from this state. I just want them to stop stealing what I cannot afford.

You have a Direct Debit set up. Its not stealing in the traditional sense, really, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here