Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council tax or suicide?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Glasgow Rangers made a stand against paying tax... Look happened to them! ;)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i leech of nobody, sponge of nobody, and don't use the police, hospitals, or other stuff....saying that i have paid over 100k in my life in tax so you can stick a pineapple up your arse and twist it.

The first part is utter nonsense. It simply isn't possible to 'not use' any of the services. Even if you use none of them DIRECTLY (although with pavements and streetlights that would seem far-fetched) you still 'use' the police force in that you are not living in a lawless anarchy.

As for the £100k bit!? What is that supposed to prove? That you worked for about ten years and feel you've done 'your bit'?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's statutory debt so it's unavoidable. You'd be better off refusing to pay your electric or your credit card bills.

The council simply apply for a court order to take the money either from whatever earnings you have, which you can do nothing about, or they send the bailiffs round and you can have lots of fun never answering your own door to anyone again.

Statute - A Legislated rule of society given the force of law

Society - A number of people joined by mutual consent to deliberate, determine, and act for a common goal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have suspected for a long time that BRUNSWICK travels around town jumping between the cracks in the pavement. That way he avoids council tax, the chemtrails drop around him and the pixies can't trip him up :mad:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Statute - A Legislated rule of society given the force of law

Society - A number of people joined by mutual consent to deliberate, determine, and act for a common goal.

Have you ever considered a career on Countdown dingodan?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
for those not wanting to pay CT look into the court case near liverpool last year - its on UT. a man goes in and knows common law, and says he is not the NAME in capitals on his brith certificate - and that it is a corportate identity he does not believe is "him."

the certificate goes into the witness box and he doesn't. the case falls apart and he almost arrests the judge for breach of common law.

"almost arrests" as in "doesn't arrest" ?

This whole freemen of the land thing whereby people claim not to be attached to thier name is, frankly, bollocks.
If you are summonsed to court for non payment of council tax, it doesn't matter what you choose to call yourself. If you are the person that has lived at the house and is liable to pay council tax, it is you who will be penalised if you wilfully refuse.
It's like this, you are summonsed to appear. If you don't, a warrant may be issued and you will be arrested and brought to court.
If you argue as to what constitutes your name, you may be removed from the court and the matter dealt with in your absence.
You may be committed to prison.
Neither the Magistrates, Advocates, Court Staff nor council staff will be arrested nor will they go to prison with you.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What happened to this thread? Ok guys. I have decided not to commit suicide just yet. I am going to refuse to pay my council tax and not bloat anymore the pockets of local government to waste on waste. Let us face the truth.. we are just supporting those that do not deserve it. So... what is going to happen to me now? Prison probably... I will let you know what happens next.. if they allow me NSC access from my jail. ;-)

Speaking from personal experience.

I refused to pay the poll tax back in the day. I presented myself at magistrates court when called, to say I refused to pay. I'd resisted all efforts by the bailiffs to gain entry to where I was living (they can't force entry without a police warrant and those were never issued). I was in the "Can Pay, Won't Pay" school of thought. Nationally a lot of people did this (as well as many others just moving around avoiding conviction). We clogged up the legal system and in the end made the Poll Tax unworkable. I can't honestly remember if it remained in force for two or three years, but anyway, I received 30 days in prison for my first sentence, then 90 days in prison for my second sentence a few years later. Both sentences were civil convictions, so I got no criminal record, but that also meant I got no remission so had to serve full term for both sentences. At the end of each sentence the debt was wiped out. I was single then and in a position to do what I did. If the same situation arose again I doubt I'd do the same as I now have a family to consider.

Not sure how it would work with the Council Tax as I have no gripe with that and have always paid it without complaint.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
I received 30 days in prison for my first sentence, then 90 days in prison for my second sentence a few years later. Both sentences were civil convictions, so I got no criminal record, but that also meant I got no remission so had to serve full term for both sentences. At the end of each sentence the debt was wiped out.

bullshit

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

If it makes you happy, fair enough, believe what you like. Except it's not, I have no reason to bullshit. If I did I'd be on here with transfer rumours like the rest of them :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
you cannot go to prison for a civil conviction, in case you didn't know. :wink:

Did you go to prison for contempt of court?

The conviction was for NPF, (non payment of fines)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
you cannot go to prison for a civil conviction, in case you didn't know. :wink:

Did you go to prison for contempt of court?

You have a good point there. How is it no remission was available for the sentences I received then ? I was on the understanding that it was because they weren't 'criminal convictions'. On the first sentence I was released a day early on New Years Eve as my release date fell on a bank holiday and I was told they couldn't release me on a bank holiday.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
toostonedtocare was bang out of order the last time he set this thread up. Some of the stuff he said was SO offensive

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
You have a good point there. How is it no remission was available for the sentences I received then ? I was on the understanding that it was because they weren't 'criminal convictions'. On the first sentence I was released a day early on New Years Eve as my release date fell on a bank holiday and I was told they couldn't release me on a bank holiday.

merked.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here