Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Robinson become the next Brooker?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
So can we conclude by saying Robinson belongs back in the reserves then or perhaps exchange him for a pocket of cash in January?

Robinson's miss summed up my issues with him, not personal, and was really the straw that broke the camels back. I appreciate the comments on potential and that he's the love child and pin up of many NSC'ers, but it's about taking your opportunities and acutally I beleive we have players that are more capable of that. Dare I say it, I'd even prefer to have Hart up front over Robinson.

My issue with McGhee is his estimation of what that forward role alongside Knight really is. It's almost like he knows a Richards or Turienzo would take the school boy chances Robinson misses, but he's not sure they add the run around value.

Anyway, you can't keep saying 'give Jake a chance' or 'he needs the opportunity to develop'. He's playing a big boys game with the big boys and thus must be treated as such. If Leon spits his dummy out, he pays the price. Jake has failed one time too many for me.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
enigma said:
London Irish said:
This thread really is the height of moron discussion, CKR and Jake apparently are shit rather than developing players with weaknesses they have to work on :rolleyes: [/QUOTE

I agree, its stupid. At their ages, the majority of players, however good, still have a lot to learn. Obviously a lot of this can be learnt on the training ground, but a lot of it just comes from experience in matches and will be learnt over time.

I think the problem with Robinson is people on here built him up to be some kind of phenomenon, whereas actually he's a promising striker, nothing more, nothing less.

I think it might be an idea to send one of these two out on loan if Turi and McCammon got fit, in order for them to get some games and confidence at a lower level. I'd rather that then have them play not as often at this level and play in a struggling team and get demoralised.

totally agree wot u say about jake....

he is a promising striker but people built him up to much to early and alot is expected of him so early on in his career....

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
totally agree wot u say about jake....

he is a promising striker but people built him up to much to early and alot is expected of him so early on in his career....

Then treat him as a promising striker, don't defend him, forget him and think about players that can promise to be strikers.

Last edited:

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
twickers said:
Then treat him as a promising striker, don't defend him, forget him and think about players that can promise to be strikers.

i am treating him as a promising striker therefore defending him.....

i feel given time he will score regular goals for this club...

simple...

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I like Jakey and CKR but both of them are just a bit too inexperienced/lightweight for our dogfight in the championship at the present time . I think 6 months in league 1 on loan would do one or both of them the power of good.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i am treating him as a promising striker therefore defending him.....

i feel given time he will score regular goals for this club...

simple...

Simple indeed, where's the 'so what' factor in that? Time, how much time? How many seasons? How many amongst the list of hundreds of other promising strikers who are never more than that? How astute is your statement really?

Given time a tortoise will make it from one side of the pitch to the other, but you wouldn't pick a tortoise for your squad.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
so cos ramsey didnt make it that means jake wnt.....?

i'd like to think jake has alot more to his game then scott ramsey....

Like what?

At this moment in time rather have a ramsey than a robinson type player

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
twickers said:
Simple indeed, where's the 'so what' factor in that? Time, how much time? How many seasons? How many amongst the list of hundreds of other promising strikers who are never more than that? How astute is your statement really?

Given time a tortoise will make it from one side of the pitch to the other, but you wouldn't pick a tortoise for your squad.

enough time to develope an obvious potential that jake has....

no can be no set time it will take how long it takes and he doesnt doesnt develope then so be it....

but with the potential he has he has to be given the chance to develope it....

thats my point....

oh yeah love the tortoise comment - classic :lolol:

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
KinkyGoebels said:
Like what?

At this moment in time rather have a ramsey than a robinson type player

thats fair enough to say a ramsey type player thats not the point....

he is a different type of striker and is a promising youngster that should be given a chance....

thats my point...

i agree we need a striker in the style of ramsey but certainly not scott ramsey....

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Robinson aways looks better coming off the bench& running at tired defenders.I'll probably be laughed at but I reckon , unless some one gives us a 20 a season striker, McCammon should wear them down for 60 - 70 minutes then bring Jake on to finish the job

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The problem is that many people (and, I believe, MM) seems to think that CKR is best coming off the bench too. If we get McCammon back then that's probably what will happen to one of them - with the other one being dropped altogether.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Doubtless Robinson will improve given time (although it obviously remains to be seen as to whether that improvement will leave him a Championship-quality striker), but the issue is whether he is good enough to be in the team at the moment.

On the showing of almost all the games I've seen him play this season, he isn't - he misses too many chances, bottles too many tackles, and lacks anything else to his game to make up for this. Sure, he works hard, but so does McPhee, so does Hart, and both contribute more apart from this than Robinson appears to. A spell out on loan or back in the reserves would probably be best for him and us now.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
the full harris said:
He does bottle a lot of challenges....

Maybe it's because he is still built like a schoolboy? He needs to go back to the reserves/out on loan for a time. He is not up to this league yet.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Could Robinson become the next Brooker?

3gulls said:
Maybe it's because he is still built like a schoolboy? He needs to go back to the reserves/out on loan for a time. He is not up to this league yet.

Well maybe he should still play for the youth team then - he needs to put his head in where it hurts, strikes me as odd mcghee doesnt make more of a point of this as its the type of striker he used to be.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Could Robinson become the next Brooker?

KinkyGoebels said:
Well maybe he should still play for the youth team then - he needs to put his head in where it hurts, strikes me as odd mcghee doesnt make more of a point of this as its the type of striker he used to be.

Maybe, but I think the lad has already progressed beyond youth football. He should get stuck-in more, but he will hopefully be more inclined to do that when he is more of a physical match for defenders.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Could Robinson become the next Brooker?

3gulls said:
Maybe, but I think the lad has already progressed beyond youth football. He should get stuck-in more, but he will hopefully be more inclined to do that when he is more of a physical match for defenders.

Has he prgressed beyond stiffs football though?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Could Robinson become the next Brooker?

KinkyGoebels said:
Has he prgressed beyond stiffs football though?

No, i don't think he has, or non-league football. He is too small and weak for the Championship.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
At present Jake offers more then any of our other options to partner Knight. He worries defenders and creates space for others, even though he can't score himself at the moment.

Did no one else notice that after he went off we never mounted any kind of attack?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
here we go!

lets blame the youngest member of the team for all our ills.

No wonder Harding left with the attitude some of you people have.

Interesting that he gets into positions to score and actually runs at people as opposed to certain other "big money " signings who cant stay on their feet and couldn't hit a barn door at 5 paces.

If I were jakey I would do exactly what Harding did and look for a better club that appreciates that he is young and a very skillfull young player. Thank f*** that NSC is representative of the minority of albion fans.

FFS

Rant over

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair, Harding has been crucified by the Leeds fans on quite a few occasions this season.

In the 30 years I have been watching the Albion the concept of giving someone a fair chance has NEVER been on the agenda.

Maybank
Poskett
NcNab
Ritchie
Bremner

You name it, we have booed them unless they scored 5 goals in the first 5 games (and that includes keepers).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here