Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell announced as new Reading manager ***Discuss it here***

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Reading have come out as the biggest hypocrite and us with credability. On the postitve note we have got more publicity about Falmer and various people supporting our cause. Micky Adams on GOS didn't think he would go as we had a good set and are a well run club. Falmer was brought up there too. I'm not that upset now he is gone. NEXT!!!!!!!

Quote from bbc 606 site (fans view) BEFORE they found out. What a bunch of arrogant twats:

What the heck is going on with Coppell, he applies for the Reading job, is damn lucky to be offered it, and now keeps everyone waiting while he ways up his options, he's avin a tin bath is'nt he? I for one wish JM would call his bluff and offer it to Adams or Graham, enough is enough. This delay is no good for anyone connected to the club, we fans must start to think is he the right one if it takes so long to make up his mind. [reply] [Complain about this post]

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
from the bbc

Coppell lands Royals job

Reading revealed Steve Coppell as their new manager on Thursday.

Coppell, who was widely believed to be Reading's first choice for the job, moves from Brighton to succeed Alan Pardew and has signed until the end of the 2004-5 season.

Coppell linked with Reading

It had been predicted the Royals would have a new manager installed by Wednesday at the latest.

But Brighton chairman Dick Knight revealed the Berkshire club had been forced to scrap a planned news conference after failing to finalise negotiations with the former Crystal Palace manager.

Knight told the Reading Evening Post newspaper: "Steve is clearly still negotiating with them because they cancelled a scheduled press conference for Tuesday afternoon."

He added: "Steve knows where this club stands. We want him to stay, but he's got to make his decision quickly.

"Clearly this impasse cannot go on for us or Reading."

Reading refused to elaborate on the story, standing by their policy of not naming individual targets for their vacant management role.

Coppell's first game in charge would be at home to Gillingham next Tuesday.

The Berkshire side's visit to Burnley on Saturday has been postponed because of international commitments.

The Royals had been searching for a new manager since Pardew controversially quit to join Division One rivals West Ham last month.

The likes of George Graham, Glenn Hoddle and Tony Adams were initially linked with the vacancy, but Reading opted for the experienced Coppell.

He takes over with the Royals in mid-table after a run of just one win from six league matches under caretaker boss Kevin Dillon.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Football Genius aka FG said:
silent and credability LOL :lolol:
ok if he scr**** the C*** outta 230K yeah good stuff but remeber he appointed a string of Pal@rse ***** in the first place
FG you twat. He was obviously trying to get the best deal for us. No doubt negotiated a transfer block on certain players between Brighton and Reading. Thats what Reading did with West Ham and if he negotiated that Albion stars like Cullip, Knight, etc cannot be transfered to Reading in the next two windows then thats damn good negotiating.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're always going to have a high management turnover if we're doing well because Falmer isn't built. What makes this disappointing is that Coppell hasn't finished what he started and hasn't really "done his time". I'd accept him jumping into a job at a Premiership club or even a big first division club but Reading are a joke two bit club with no fans and always have been. They've not even graced the top flight, or a proper Cup Final. They're a nothing outfit who have spent the last two years pinching our best staff because they know we can't compete with their half empty but shiny stadium.

I feckin hate them, but no doubt in 5 years time we'll be laughing at their noddy set up in the same way we do with Leyton Orient.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Captain Sensible said:
He was obviously trying to get the best deal for us. No doubt negotiated a transfer block on certain players between Brighton and Reading. Thats what Reading did with West Ham and if he negotiated that Albion stars like Cullip, Knight, etc cannot be transfered to Reading in the next two windows then thats damn good negotiating.

It doesn't appear that there is a clause concerning any Albion players. The Reading Evening Post will probably detail the contract itself tomorrow morning... that'll give a better indication.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Robert Lester Zamora said:
just the references to Brighton (if any) please Wilts

So Robert, any guesses as to the new manager??
Anyone been spotted around the club, or would DK and MP be conducting any talks well away from Brighton?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not surprised, but very disappointed in Coppell.

He's lost a lot of goodwill by pissing the Albion around for the last week or so and, I dare say, his prevarication and comments about not wanting to leave the Albion had it not been for the ground will not endear him to all of the Reading fans.

The fact is he did a bloody good job in his year at the Albion, he almost achieved the impossible and kept us up, now we're top of Div 2 with £230,000 compensation, apparently.

Life's too short to be calling the guy names, and I have no axe to grind. That's football. I want DK to unveil our new manager now so we can move on.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Wilts said:
It doesn't appear that there is a clause concerning any Albion players. The Reading Evening Post will probably detail the contract itself tomorrow morning... that'll give a better indication.

What do you mean doesn't appear?
What would you know about it?
seen the compensation contract have you?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Oh yeah Wilts, and the Reading Evening Post will give out all the details of the compensation package will they?? Bollocks.
They are a local rag like our shite one down here.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
There is no contract between Reading and Brighton, so how can a clause preventing any "nicking" of players exist.

There might be an "undertaking", but it won't be legally enforceable.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well pussyplat, There is a clause in the Reading compensation package with West Ham where within the next two transfer windows West ham cannot approach certain players of the Reading squad unless they are out of contract or put on the Transfer list. That is why Madejski too such a knock down package from West Ham.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Captain Sensible said:
Oh yeah Wilts, and the Reading Evening Post will give out all the details of the compensation package will they?? Bollocks.
They are a local rag like our shite one down here.

Whether you take it as the truth or not is another matter. They don't tend to be wrong very often. It'll be in as much detail as needed, and that'll probably cover the player-taking clause if one exists, as the EP likes to speculate on the next things that could happen. It'll definitely enlighten you, I imagine.

At the moment we don't know if such a clause exists, so its a non-story thus far.

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
Well things could get worse you could appoint Trevor Francis.

As for READING, i hope he lasts less there than he did at MAN CITY.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Well, after all this, he leaves anyway. Wanker was just holding out for the deal he wanted.
f*** off Coppell, your hearts not in it.
We will move on and just like last time, someone better will come along and we will lift the 2nd Div trophy once more.
Seeeeeegulllllss.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Pavilionaire said:
Life's too short to be calling the guy names, and I have no axe to grind. That's football.

I utterly disagree with the first of those two sentences, Pav. It is indeed football, and that's one of the few areas in life where name calling is an accepted part of the sub-culture. Terrace life wouldn't be half as much fun without the banter going on between sets of fans and, within reason of course, directed at individuals.

Have you never shouted at Michael Keane, Handy Rammell and Scott 'wanker' McGleish? In football, if somebody does wrong by my club I'm bloody well going to call them names, regardless of how churlish that would appear in 'real' life.

Palace bastard, as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
There is an "undertaking" from West Ham not to take Reading players, not a contract. It's a promise, and not legally enforceable, although West HAm will probably stick to it.

Seagull Stew

So what was all that crap this time last week about Coppell now needing to focus on the weekends game against Blackpool and any negotiations with Reading will need to be put on hold. Funny how the same hasn't applied this week, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here