Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contracts to be sorted today

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
I am guessing here, but I reckon Charlie Oatway will get a two-year contract, which will take him to 35, and options for retiring.

I have heard it from several quarters within the club that he will be kept on in some role or other once he has retired. Whether he wants to is a different matter, I suppose. Maybe something to do with the Youth Team set-up, possibly as an 'ambassador' for the Learning Centre? Whatever, he is a great asset to the club and should be treated as such.
Much as I'd certainly look to keep Charlie on if he has another year or two in him, I'm not too comfortable with this "find another role for him at the club" once his playing days are over. Yes he's been a great servant to the club and has always given his all. But we're hardly in a position to retain people on the payroll and start creating roles for them just because they've been great servants.

Harsh perhaps. But ultimately we don't OWE them a living once they've hung their boots up. Its a football club, not a lifelong social club for favourite ex-players.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:

Its a football club, not a lifelong social club for favourite ex-players.

You are only saying that because your freeman's status at the UK Felching Society was renounced last year after that incident involving the goose grease and the R Whites lemonade bottle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
El Presidente said:
You are only saying that because your freeman's status at the UK Felching Society was renounced last year after that incident involving the goose grease and the R Whites lemonade bottle.
I fail to see the connection there. And anyway, it was Schweppes.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Shame McPhee's gone, I still think he's got the ability to make a decent target man, just needs the right partner. Of those remaining, I'd certainly release Carpenter; he's been great for us, but at 34 (?) he's not going to get any better - this season has been the start of his decline, whereas Nicolas has room to improve. I'd give the latter two years - he's the kind of player we can build a team around.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Repugnant Toad said:
Shame McPhee's gone, I still think he's got the ability to make a decent target man, just needs the right partner. Of those remaining, I'd certainly release Carpenter; he's been great for us, but at 34 (?) he's not going to get any better - this season has been the start of his decline, whereas Nicolas has room to improve. I'd give the latter two years - he's the kind of player we can build a team around.

Spot on as ever Toad.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Easy 10 said:
Much as I'd certainly look to keep Charlie on if he has another year or two in him, I'm not too comfortable with this "find another role for him at the club" once his playing days are over. Yes he's been a great servant to the club and has always given his all. But we're hardly in a position to retain people on the payroll and start creating roles for them just because they've been great servants.

Harsh perhaps. But ultimately we don't OWE them a living once they've hung their boots up. Its a football club, not a lifelong social club for favourite ex-players.

I think the Easy man is correct.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
El Presidente said:

just spat my tea out thanks EP :lol: mopping up situation underway here...

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Easy 10 said:

I'd prefer to say we don't have the money to keep them ala Alan Thingamy bum Shearer at Newcastle...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I bet Race is not happy, got the impression this morning that she was expecting to hear something sooner rather than later after the McPhee news. !!!!

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
blockhseagull said:
I bet Race is not happy, got the impression this morning that she was expecting to hear something sooner rather than later after the McPhee news. !!!!

Can you not see the the steam coming out of my ears?!! :lolol:

I dont think anything will be heard today anyway, there is always tomorrow though!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Is it me or is the club becoming a bit of a joke in regards to this issue?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Race said:
Can you not see the the steam coming out of my ears?!! :lolol:

I dont think anything will be heard today anyway, there is always tomorrow though!

*Looks out of window*

Yep, can see a big cloud over Bassett, that anything to do with you ?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Gritt23 said:
We need a leader on the field, and Oatway is that player. I thought his performances were excellent last season, and it was his injury on Boxing Day that signalled the turning point in our season. It was all downhill from then onwards. No coincidence in my book.

Oatway simply must stay and it MUST be a playing contract.

Exactly what you said!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Les Biehn said:
Is it me or is the club becoming a bit of a joke in regards to this issue?
The club has been a bit of a joke for some time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here