Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Consistent flow of fans leaving early every game

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Me and my son were in the south end of west upper yesterday, stayed until after full time whistle got the train and we were back in worthing by 6. Dont think thats bad at all.
Maybe so many early leavers made it easier for those who stayed till end to get home quicker!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
it was the same at the goldstone , there has always been a raft of half hearted supporters who would rather "get going" than stay until the end .....the weather and the performance certainly didn't help yesterday.

Arguably not in the North, unless it was a low attendance. Leaving a packed terrace was actually quite difficult, as you’d need everyone to get out your way. In those days, people generally stayed till the end when everyone left as one.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Arguably not in the North, unless it was a low attendance. Leaving a packed terrace was actually quite difficult, as you’d need everyone to get out your way. In those days, people generally stayed till the end when everyone left as one.

yeah i'm talking more of when i used to go with my dad in the late 70's , we always drove over and he was always dragging me out of there 15 minutes from the end .......started getting in the North when i was about 14 and always stayed till the last kick of the game , when going to the Amex when i come back my pals always want to leave early which when you only get there once in a blue moon is a bit of a shame but habits is habits...!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Left Henfield at 1.45, terrible traffic, sat in my seat just in time for the first goal. Those around me said I was fortunate to miss the first 15 or 20 minutes. My two usual seatmates hadn't made it and I had 2 empty seats either side. All I remember from the match was Duffy's long distance shot, Burnley's first goal and Sanchez's dive as the third sailed in. Beyond that, I've got nothing. I hung in there till the 88th minute, but with nothing to watch, I finally decided to run for The Bridge and prioritise getting to a cold home in the throes of a power cut that is still going now! I normally wait till the final whistle, but that match is best forgotten. I'll take the silver lining of Burnley closing the gap on Newcastle.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I left 10 minutes before the end. I regret it now. Wish I'd never gone.

This. I didn’t arrive to leave early. The Amex is a nightmare to get to and from really, can understand why people leave early if trying to avoid queues for buses, trains or out of car parks.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Matters not which team the OP follows it's always fascinated me why so many home fans leave early , and I've done it myself btw, yet in all the years I've been following the team I've no recollection of ever leaving a game early when we're away, even if we're getting battered, I presume this is the norm for away fans nationwide as the away end always look fuller than the home ends at full time.

If I had to guess at the top performers of homers leaving early I'd go .

1. Man City
2. West Ham
3. Arsenal
4. Man Utd
5. Leicester
6. Brighton ( top 6 at last)

A kind word for Norwich fans, either they're not allowed out until the match ends or they like getting value for money.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think it's about time someone says this but is it just me that thinks there's an issue with so many people leaving early?

From what I've gathered from my few years watching the Albion I noticed that nearly every game a flow of fans have left before the final whistle, obviously yesterday wasn't a good one, probably our worst under potter but we're 9th yet about two thirds of the ground cleared out 10 minutes before the end.

And when so many people leave, how do we expect to produce a miracle last minute goal in any game when there isn't much support left?

I believe too many people are prioritizing getting home over supporting the team and if that's the case then why go in the first place?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you lot think about it or any solutions there could be
You haven't been here long.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Only the 3rd time I've ever left before the final whistle. The others were away, 5 nil down to Palarse and away to Northampton as I'd miss a train, just got into the street and we equalised so rushed back in to see the Cobblers score a winner. Yesterday it was wet, cold, crap footie and I had five moaning kids with me who all wanted to go home. With transport shambles I understand leaving early. I never understood people that take their seat 10 minutes late with a bag of chips, then disappear 10 minutes before half-time and emerge deep into the second half. Football aside it's poor economics on an expensive day out.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I never understand why people start a thread, asking a question, then never come back to the thread to contribute - unless of course they have an agenda to stir up shit and chuckle to themselves at their cunning plan! :facepalm:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it's about time someone says this but is it just me that thinks there's an issue with so many people leaving early?

From what I've gathered from my few years watching the Albion I noticed that nearly every game a flow of fans have left before the final whistle, obviously yesterday wasn't a good one, probably our worst under potter but we're 9th yet about two thirds of the ground cleared out 10 minutes before the end.

And when so many people leave, how do we expect to produce a miracle last minute goal in any game when there isn't much support left?

I believe too many people are prioritizing getting home over supporting the team and if that's the case then why go in the first place?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you lot think about it or any solutions there could be

Really good post.....no-one has mentioned this before. :facepalm:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Because a huge percentage at the AMEX aren’t actually Brighton supporters.
We are, and always will be, a club with a relatively small support base and that won’t change the better we get- we will just get even more football tourists and second teamers, and people who value getting home to their sofas or into the restaurants over ten minutes of football. That’s just the way it. Modern football.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I left 10 minutes before the end. I regret it now. Wish I'd never gone.

Ditto - plus took my 10 year old to his third ever league game at the Amex. "I thought you said we play good football?" was just one of the many comments I had to contend with throughout the game :facepalm:

I was embarrassed to be there to be honest to watch that garbage and have him sit through it also. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
This comes up numerous times every year, and it never ceases to amaze me that anyone seems to think they have the right to criticise someone, or lots of people , for leaving whenever the hell they like.

Its not a condition of entry that you stay till the end, its not mandatory to clap the players off.

The way some people get all worked up about it makes it seem like it never happens anywhere else, when in reality it happens at every game in the country. There was a game on TV a couple weeks ago where people were streaming out of the ground before half time.

I dont think its any more prevalent at Falmer than anywhere else, despite the transport benefits of getting out of the car parks, or on trains or buses which are greater here than most places due to location and transport links

If people want to leave early thats up to them, personally I have never left early, and always clap the players as they leave the pitch but whilst I would rather see all the match I dont assume that everyone has to do the same

Sections of our fan base are becoming more and more like the entitled fans of other clubs, be that in the "i'm a better fan than you are because...." or criticising other fans for whatever reason, We are all individuals and we all have our own reasons for how we support the team, how often we go to matches, and what time we leave, none of which is any concern to anyone else, whether or not we understand the motives, similar to what someone posted above, I cant understand the group of 4 guys behind me, who turn up 5-10 mins after kick off, vanish 5 mins before half time, reappear 5 mins after 2nd half begins and spend the 60 mins they are actually present while the game is on looking at phones, however its their perogative

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Because a huge percentage at the AMEX aren’t actually Brighton supporters.
We are, and always will be, a club with a relatively small support base and that won’t change the better we get- we will just get even more football tourists and second teamers, and people who value getting home to their sofas or into the restaurants over ten minutes of football. That’s just the way it. Modern football.

You probably expected someone to bite! Lol.

My first game was in 1981. I only ever recall leaving a game early once before, an evening game against Swansea at the Vetch in the 90s. We were losing 3 nil, had one shot on goal and the Swansea fans in those days had a reputation for being a little unfriendly.

I left early yesterday as the game was lost and the trains on the Hastings/Eastbourne line had been a mess all day.

I apologise for not actually being a Brighton supporter. My two lads stayed to the bitter end so all is not lost in our household.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
With this Falmer hotel thing, or whatever it was, coming to nothing, could TB instead build a series of towering blocks of flats outside the Amex, enough for 30k residents and everyone could live there so there’d be no need to rush off on 78 minutes on matchdays to get home, unless you wanted to avoid the crush for the lifts at the tower blocks at full time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here