Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Consistent flow of fans leaving early every game

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
A bloody nuisance, either wait until half time or go straight to the kiosk :whistle::):moo:

:eek:I'm not a nuisance, I have jnr to consider! I'm being a good parent & making sure that I can get a bottle of water & spend a fortune on a bag of minstrels, whilst keeping an eye on him when I leave him in his seat. I'm making sure that he can safely enjoy the match day experience whilst I stand chatting to the stewards & watch the last minutes of the 1st half! Absolutely nothing to do with getting a beer & going to the toilet within 15 minutes. ??? Gone are the days of buying him blue sweets from the sweet stand when he was small and cute, we are at a crossroads. If he wants minstrels, he has to be prepared to sit on his own for a couple of minutes in the stand & then look after the stash in the designated concourse point. When he doesn't want minstrels then he's going to get them anyway & still have to guard the stash! :rock:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I think it's about time someone says this but is it just me that thinks there's an issue with so many people leaving early?

From what I've gathered from my few years watching the Albion I noticed that nearly every game a flow of fans have left before the final whistle, obviously yesterday wasn't a good one, probably our worst under potter but we're 9th yet about two thirds of the ground cleared out 10 minutes before the end.

And when so many people leave, how do we expect to produce a miracle last minute goal in any game when there isn't much support left?

I believe too many people are prioritizing getting home over supporting the team and if that's the case then why go in the first place?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what you lot think about it or any solutions there could be

I wouldn’t worry about it. It happens at every ground and for decades. It happened at the Goldstone ever since I started watching the Albion. The reasons for it are numerous and varied, and, probably all valid. Why do you need a solution? It doesn’t make you a bad fan, after all you’ve paid your dosh to help the club, you’ve watched the majority of the game and supported the team which is what it’s all about. Freedom of choice innit? :drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is leaving early better or worse than staying to the bitter end and booing?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I wouldn’t worry about it. It happens at every ground and for decades. It happened at the Goldstone ever since I started watching the Albion. The reasons for it are numerous and varied, and, probably all valid. Why do you need a solution? It doesn’t make you a bad fan, after all you’ve paid your dosh to help the club, you’ve watched the majority of the game and supported the team which is what it’s all about. Freedom of choice innit? :drink:

I agree. It's such an overblown thing currently. Frankly, if you stay: fair enough; if you leave: fair enough. It's never been any of my business and I've struggled to ever care about it. The truth is, nobody knows anyone else's reasons for staying or going and it's usually just a chance for some people to stand up and say "I'm a good fan, why are these people bad fans?"

To Stat Bother's point, on Saturday it's probably a good thing that there were only 12 people in the stadium at the end or else we'd have another ream of column inches telling Brighton fans that booing is bad

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
When we lose at home topics generally cover (1) early leavers (2) transport issues (3) queues, various (4) atmosphere, lack off (5) tactics - wrong (6) players / selection - shite.

When we win, topics generally revolve around how long until Graham Potter is the next England Manager, which of our players will be going to one of the ‘big 6’ in the summer and which places guarantee European football

I’m beginning to think it’s almost as if results and performances determine the overall mood on here?

Indeed, and that will always be case. Mood music among supporters generally and NSC in particular oscillates far too widely depending on the last result. I am one of the few on here who believes we are not a great deal better then last year, just a little luckier and with marginally better performing players; it is all about small margins and we have fallen the right side of them more so far this season. We are not as good as 9th suggests and were better than 16th suggested last season.

GP and the Albion elite understand that far better than most, and consequently plan for long-term, doing the right things on basis that they will pay off in the end. a 3-0 drubbing to the bottom team is just an unfortunate occurrence on a much longer journey.

But this particular topic does not entirely fall in the category. It comes up when we lose, win, or draw too regularly. I admit to being irritated by the sanctimony and lack of empathy to those like me in particular who have long journeys and for whom 30 minutes reduced journey time by leaving 10 minutes early in a dead game result wise is well worthwhile. I just rather wish they would keep it to themselves.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Some truth in what he says.
I wouldn’t say there is a huge percentage at the Amex that don’t support the Albion, but there is definitely a percentage that don’t.
I’m sure we all know people that probably never set foot in Withdean but go now, I don’t mean kids.

I wouldn’t say we have a stadium full of die hard Albion fans, similar to many other PL teams, like he says “modern football”

Exactly. It’s simply the way it is. The people denying this are the same people, I have no doubt, that like to mock the Manchester United prawn sandwich brigade et al.
It’s not a criticism of our club. It’s a fact of modern football. Let’s not romanticise things any more than we have to. Top level football has proven time and time again over the years that it’s utterly corrupt and vacuous and that doesn’t exclude us, even if we are one of the better run clubs around. If you think we’ve suddenly conjured up 30k plus die hard supporters you’re in cloud cuckoo land I’m afraid. They’ll boo, they’ll leave early, they’ll only sing when they’re winning.
(Not to mention the rights of any genuine die hard to either leave early if they’re travelling miles OR boo if we get thrashed at home by the worst team in the league)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here