Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Consistent flow of fans leaving early every game

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I expected this backlash tbh, my point is that some of our fans seem to leave early to get that 15 minute advantage (which is what it is most of the time) or whatever it is getting home even when we're winning, is it really worth it?
Yes, yes it is.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Always makes me laugh the criticism of people leaving early or not clapping the players off. You pays your money you takes your choice.
I stayed to the end but couldn't be bothered to clap the players off as I felt a beer was far more important. I presume that makes me a bad fan but a good fan in the eyes of Barber for putting extra money in the clubs coffers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some truth in what he says.
I wouldn’t say there is a huge percentage at the Amex that don’t support the Albion, but there is definitely a percentage that don’t.
I’m sure we all know people that probably never set foot in Withdean but go now, I don’t mean kids.

I wouldn’t say we have a stadium full of die hard Albion fans, similar to many other PL teams, like he says “modern football”

He said "huge percentage" (my emphasis). That's simply untrue. And the bloke isn't quite what he tries to seem.

But if you want to extend that example how would you class my mate? Lives on the same road as me, takes his 9 YO son who is in Brighton gear head to foot but Dad originally came from Manchester and watched United home and away before moving here. He wants his son to support his local team and knows more about Brighton that a lot of people that post on this board. At his 50th last week there were Brighton STHs there and old school Mancs. For me he's a supporter of both clubs. But he's the only regular I know who is.

Yesterday I travelled with my son who has 45 mins of Withdean to his name because of his age, met a load of old mates I used to follow us up and down the country with (one of whom hardly goes to football at all now but used to be on the first train out of Brighton with me to shitholes like Barnsley and Port Vale), there were six of us there out of our normal group of 11, none of whom have ever had another team and had beers after the game with another set who go home and away. All in all probably talked to 30 odd people and only ONE of them has "two teams", yet even he has watched far more games and paid far more cash than Swansman.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wow! Are we really having another ' leaving early ' thread? I think given the circumstances of yesterday's game I would not be calling anyone a bad fan if they left 10 mins early.

However, like a lot of people I do scratch my head at people who regularly leave when we are winning or a game is delicately poised. But you pays your money so it entitles you to support how you see fit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
…have you read the comments re the train service yesterday..and come on let’s face it you’ve picked on a match which had a few mitigating factors

Interesting turn of phrase there. Wouldn't someone who was at the game know about the public transport difficulties and also have seen many fans who arrived 5-10 minutes late because of a train cancellation and traffic jam? Were you there Vaughan? When did you leave? And how do you travel?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And if you read my reply again (that you have quoted) I have agreed with YOU, I’ve said this. :thumbsup:

:lolol: fair enough.

*offers hand*

I find the phrasing from a couple of people on this thread very interesting. "Consistent flow of fans leaving early every game"

No there isn't.

"Huge percentage that support another team."

No there isn't.

It's just like reading the BBS.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He said "huge percentage" (my emphasis). That's simply untrue. And the bloke isn't quite what he tries to seem.

But if you want to extend that example how would you class my mate? Lives on the same road as me, takes his 9 YO son who is in Brighton gear head to foot but Dad originally came from Manchester and watched United home and away before moving here. He wants his son to support his local team and knows more about Brighton that a lot of people that post on this board. At his 50th last week there were Brighton STHs there and old school Mancs. For me he's a supporter of both clubs. But he's the only regular I know who is.

Yesterday I travelled with my son who has 45 mins of Withdean to his name because of his age, met a load of old mates I used to follow us up and down the country with (one of whom hardly goes to football at all now but used to be on the first train out of Brighton with me to shitholes like Barnsley and Port Vale), there were six of us there out of our normal group of 11, none of whom have ever had another team and had beers after the game with another set who go home and away. All in all probably talked to 30 odd people and only ONE of them has "two teams", yet even he has watched far more games and paid far more cash than Swansman.

Surely it's a personal choice whether you leave early or stay until kicked out.
When we go to the Amex from Ruislip, it's a long day for us both, so will stay to the end whatever the result.
I left early last weekend at Watford, as I was working that evening, which pissed me off as I missed the Albion fans singing to the players, who were clapping.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Surely it's a personal choice whether you leave early or stay until kicked out.

Of course it is. End of thread really.

But that's not the point I'm making. The points I'm making are 1) even if someone has another team they are likely taking their die hard BHA offspring and thus supporting their local team and 2) this thread is crawling with NIgels in poor disguise.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
A disgraceful attempt at a performance yesterday. To go with the pathetic 2nd half at Old Trafford in the week. 3 nil down at home, I'm surprised there was anyone left at full time at all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Obviously Palace OP but myself and my son left on 90 minutes because we were wet and cold and wanted to be near the front of the bus queue to get home to the warmth. I've only left one other match early at that was at Cardiff Ninian Park to avoid being kettled to the station. It's just a pity the Mill Road buses were so poor last night.

Good point…. I left on 90 minutes and again got to the queue for the mill hill P&R and the queue was huge…..it then took over 3/4 on an hour to get on a bus in the wet and cold! What was the problem with the total lack of busses for mill hill yesterday?

I queued up for 29 minutes at the top of mill hill to actually get a bus to the stadium also!

I tend to wait for the final whistle down the bottom of the NS to get straight down the steps out but when the third went in I was very tempted to cal, it a day

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What we really don't need after a terrible performance by the team is our fans moaning at each other over trivial things like when they left. If they aren't doing anything to harm anyone else then leave them be and stop moaning.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

But that's not the point I'm making. The points I'm making are 1) even if someone has another team they are likely taking their die hard BHA offspring and thus supporting their local team and 2) this thread is crawling with Nig31s in poor disguise.

I understand the points you are making GB.
I was just chatting to my dad (lifelong Spuds fan), who was revelling about their win at Citeh yesterday.
The conversation was going along the lines of that when teams play away, there is not that pressure when playing at home, and the away fans are genuinely 99.9% true supporters.
Whereas when at home, say at White Hart Lane, I asked him of the home fans, what % are true and what % are plastic.
It's the same I have found for the Amex, since that spring from the Championship to the PL.
Local Ronaldo or Salah gooey eyed fans who love them and live in the local area, but don't actually support the Albion, can go and take their box of tissues on matchday :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I expected this backlash tbh, my point is that some of our fans seem to leave early to get that 15 minute advantage (which is what it is most of the time) or whatever it is getting home even when we're winning, is it really worth it?

I normally stay to the bitter end.
But yesterday I made up my mind that unless th egame was still in the balance I was off on 85minutes,
Eunice and Railtrack Engineering had already added an hour and a half to the journey to Falmer
As it turned out, the game was done and dusted on70 minutes.

I left bang on 80 minutes, without any regrets and was home by 7:30

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Back to this….I wanted to just clear up the huge percentage bit first :lolol:

I think it’s a good thing that lads that have grown up in the area are now being taken to watch the Albion, even though their parent(s) are not Albion fans. My father moved to Brighton in the 60s from the West Country but wasn’t an Albion fan but took me to The Goldstone in the 70s, and some away games.
My father supported another team and also a non league club, I’m sure when I started going to games with my friends he never went to another Albion match, he would always look out for Albion results and ask me about matches though.

Hopefully your mates son and other kids in the same position will carry on supporting the Albion.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

But that's not the point I'm making. The points I'm making are 1) even if someone has another team they are likely taking their die hard BHA offspring and thus supporting their local team and 2) this thread is crawling with Nig31s in poor disguise.

I always find their insistence that our attendances are bolstered by plastics, but theirs is 100% die-hards, very amusing.
In their promotion season, when they had Wilf/Bolasie and Muzza tearing up the championship, their average attendance was 8k less than ours during Sami Hyppia's season!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Always makes me laugh the criticism of people leaving early or not clapping the players off. You pays your money you takes your choice.
I stayed to the end but couldn't be bothered to clap the players off as I felt a beer was far more important. I presume that makes me a bad fan but a good fan in the eyes of Barber for putting extra money in the clubs coffers.

You are definitely not a bad fan for not clapping.
I also stayed to the end, but there was no way I was clapping the players after that performance, it’s not that I couldn’t be bothered though, I just didn’t think they deserved any praise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here