Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations Ryan Giggs

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know quite a few that subscribe to the Ferguson point of view that the Beeb is heavily biased towards Liverpool (Hansen, Lawrenson, Green etc etc) and believe Fergie is right not to do the press conferences. Some United fans do seem to have a slightly weird mentality, not following England for example. That's all a bit odd if you ask me and does not seem to exist at other clubs.

I do wonder how Hansen still has a job as he is massively bias. Green gets on my nerves with his bitter and twisted view on Refs. durinng the arsenal game yesterday Howard Webb booked Johnson and he went on a rant about how it wasnt good enough because he didnt make it clear who he booked!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Some United fans do seem to have a slightly weird mentality, not following England for example. That's all a bit odd if you ask me and does not seem to exist at other clubs.

Seeing as the majority of them are glory hunting twats, not coming from anywhere near Manchester, they probably just do the same with international football and go for the team likely to win most often...I bet more Man Utd fans have allegience to the likes of Brazil, Germany and Italy than England.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Im not a Man Utd fan and I dont have any interest in England? England Fans tend to be (unless I am wrong) more non Premiership fans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst I agree that Giggs had no business winning this award, the real problem is that it all comes down to what sports are important to the British public. And there are probably plenty of people like me who simply wouldn't vote for the achievements of people in certain sports. I can't be doing with voting for snooker or darts because they're not proper sports. I wouldn't vote for a F1 winner either because whilst the F1 fans will rant away about their man, I can't see how you vote for a winner when the car is quite obviously of pivotal importance to success. Other people will have there own perceptions about other sports, especially the minority ones.

So Mark Cavendish could WIN Le Tour, and still fail to win the trophy because it's just not that important to the British sporting public. Andy Murray could win 2 grand slams this year and I bet he wouldn't be the shoo-in that everybody thinks he might, purely because of some harmless and irrelevant comments about the England football team.

As for the contenders this year, I'm amazed Button didn't win it (but glad he didn't). I'd have voted for Beth Streddle. She's up against the might of the Chinese and yet won Gold on the floor in the World Championships. How many times have GB won anything in gymnastics?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The trouble is, that now all these TV phone votes have to be honest. This leads to all these weird results, as the people who actually vote are mentally challenged, by definition. Prior to last year, the shows' producers just chose the winner that made the best TV. This was better for everyone. The sub-normal, still got to waste their money and the normal viewer got to watch a better show.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I agree that Giggs had no business winning this award, the real problem is that it all comes down to what sports are important to the British public. And there are probably plenty of people like me who simply wouldn't vote for the achievements of people in certain sports. I can't be doing with voting for snooker or darts because they're not proper sports. I wouldn't vote for a F1 winner either because whilst the F1 fans will rant away about their man, I can't see how you vote for a winner when the car is quite obviously of pivotal importance to success. Other people will have there own perceptions about other sports, especially the minority ones.

So Mark Cavendish could WIN Le Tour, and still fail to win the trophy because it's just not that important to the British sporting public. Andy Murray could win 2 grand slams this year and I bet he wouldn't be the shoo-in that everybody thinks he might, purely because of some harmless and irrelevant comments about the England football team.

As for the contenders this year, I'm amazed Button didn't win it (but glad he didn't). I'd have voted for Beth Streddle. She's up against the might of the Chinese and yet won Gold on the floor in the World Championships. How many times have GB won anything in gymnastics?

Agree on the first point - Darts and snooker shouldn't be eligible anyway, as its 'SPORTS P O T Y', not 'PUB GAMES P O T Y'..

Murray could win all THREE foreign slams and not get it. If he won WIMBLEDON, however, he'd WALK it.

And yes, Beth TWEDDLE would have been a worthy winner. Not as worthy as Jess Ennis, though, who is a World Champ too, but in the toughest athletic event, and is also FIT. Tweddle has funny TEETH, so slightly less worthy. :thumbsup:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Tweddle would need to win at the Olympics to be in with a shout. As with most athletics events unless it's during an Olympic year the public aren't fussed enough.

The problem then is that during an Olympic year if we've done well as a whole, as we did last year in Beijing then the competition is too high for a gymnast to win it - unless she'd gotten three golds like our Chris Hoy did.

I'll bet the BBC are pretty embarrassed about this. I know it's not their decision but it's still their award and clearly a lot of people (who most likely didn't vote - I know I didn't) will be pissed off at them about what's happened

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'll bet the BBC are pretty embarrassed about this. I know it's not their decision but it's still their award and clearly a lot of people (who most likely didn't vote - I know I didn't) will be pissed off at them about what's happened

well if someones that bothered enough to be pissed off then perhaps they should vote

Giggsy :clap2:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Well that's my point. People like me DON'T vote unless there's a truly outstanding candidate. You just hope that the eventual winner does at least deserve it

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Hmm. I'm not big on conspiracy thoeries but

Giggs received 29.4% of the vote 151,842 votes
Button 18.74% - 96,770
Ennis 15.58% - 80,469
Mark Cavendish 55,960
Beth Tweddle 38,907
Daley 36,929
Andy Murray 19,936
Strauss 17,237
David Haye 13,916
Phillips Idowu 4,507

Given that Giggs wasn't exactly favourite how the fcuk did he piss home by more than 50000 votes, scoring 3 x the amount of votes that Cavendish got and almost twice the amount of Ennis?

Meanwhile in a totally unrelated incident Giggs is backed down from 33-1 to less than 7-2and wins the event. The last 2 odds on favourites in the event have also all been turned over. Am i right in thinking X Factor had over 10 million votes last night. Given this has just over 500,000 is it not that difficult to fix?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Two points:
1. At lease he plays a sport that large numbers of people are interested in, unlike many of the others represented which are merely minority sports.
2. What exactly does "sports personality" mean. Since when did we know that Giggs or any of the others nominated has a personality.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was amazed to find out that Giggs had won. Did the Man U fans organise a rigged vote via a message board(s)? That was surely the only way he could win, wasn't it?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised. As has already been pointed out on this thread Man United fans do have a bee in their bonnet about the BBC so the chance to spoil this competition by voting an unworthy winner and giggling inanely at their work from Hanoi to Johannesburg to Reykjavik etc. wouldn't seem too far fetched

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Put his achievements together over a long, long career and he deserves it FAR more than a rich kid in a fast car and a boring tennis player who bottles it in big tournaments.

If you say so. But does he deserve it more than a bloke who won seven stages in the most physically gruelling event in world sport, or a woman who won a world championship in a multi-discipline event, for example, in the same year as he played in a losing European Cup final and a national team that got nowhere near the World Cup?

I entirely agree, and I say this as somebody who can't f***ing stand Man Utd, that he's been a superb ambassador for the sport and some kind of lifetime achievement award is appropriate, but if you honestly think he had a better year than Mark Cavendish, Jessica Ennis or several of the others. It's the Sports Personality of the Year Award, FFS. He won because he plays for those red fuckers and they've got countless millions of 'fans' who watch Utd about as frequently as they take any notice of any achievements in any other sports, apparently.

An utter devaluation of the award in a year when it could scarcely have been more damaging, given that so many millions more voted for that glorified karaoke on the other side.

1066gull

He has been QUALITY the last 12 months - not sure if he's done better in terms off one-off achievements, but he has been good. At least deserves some credit!

I am with you and Beach Hut, and I am normally at odds with both of you on subjects!

I think the man has got better every year, he's the perfect role model to look up to, the perfect professional. Like Bergkamp, when he is finished playing, I think he will be finished with football. He has no reason whatsoever to go in to management, hes done so much already for the sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here