Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations Ryan Giggs

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Button - WTF?

I could have got in that car and won, if he wins it next season however?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hairy Welsh twat wins award for doing JACK SHIT.

Well done British voting public, well done indeed.

FARCE of the century. I genuinely thought that of ALL the candidates he was by far the weakest and only nominated so football had someone representing our country's most popular sport.

This just goes to show that awards like this shouldn't be allowed to be decided by the public at large. They've let the country down and made the prize essentially meaningless.

By all means sports stars, achieve great things and become the greatest in your field but you'll not get any recognition off the public because they're too busy creaming themselves over a tired old Welshman who has only got a nomination to make up numbers.

I can't bear to think of all the sad little Man United fans who'll be wanking themselves to sleep tonight over a poster of the shirtless Giggs proudly displaying his Connery-esque chest wig.

IT'S A f***ing SCANDAL

Is it really that big a deal?

PS - most of the proper United fans I know couldn't give a flying f*** about anything other than winning the League/Champions League and they have little or no respect for the BBC. I doubt anyone cares that much.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Is it really that big a deal?

PS - most of the proper United fans I know couldn't give a flying f*** about anything other than winning the League/Champions League and they have little or no respect for the BBC. I doubt anyone cares that much.

Well I doubt it was the "proper" United fans that cast the votes. They'll have likely come mostly from 0207 numbers

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
How many people do you know play formula 1 driving, or show jumping? An achievement is bbeing better than millions of people not hundred. Giggs is that and a nice bloke. I like f1 but really, and as for bloody cycling and show jumping, nobody gives a fck and somehow that royal nobody won it for jumping around on her pony a year or two back. Please a proper sportsman won it for once.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
John Terry has had an excellent 2009 and lead England to South Africa. Perhaps ge should have won it? :shootself

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
In at least 2 of the above mentioned cases, yes.

Haye and Button?

Do you really think either is a stand out genius within their sport? Haye is not Lennox Lewis (not yet at least), Button is no Lewis Hamilton. Just an average year. If the Formula One world championship of 2008 had happened this year Hamilton would have deservedly walked it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Haye and Button?

Do you really think either is a stand out genius within their sport?

That wasn't the question you asked, although for the record I don't think either of them is a 'genius' and I don't think Giggs is either.

He's good, but is he Pele, is he Maradona, is he Cruyff? Will he be remembered in the same breath as those three? No, no, no and no.

The question you asked was whether any of the others competed in sports big enough to make them household names by virtue of their achievements. Haye and Button do and have achieved that recognition THIS YEAR, which is all that should have counted for this award.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
To me the top sports have to involve top competition, massive physical effort and singular determination. That's why I would always go for the rowers, cyclists, boxers over the horsey types, car drivers and hop step & jumpers. Unfortunately the voting public just go on personality - that's why vroom vroomers like Mansell & Hill have won it twice (although our 'enery did too)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Nearly as shocking a decision as the team of the year award. Yes, The England cricket team won the ashes. BUT...

The ladies cricket team won the ashes, the 50 over World Cup, and the T20 world Cup yet didn't actually get a mention in the program.

Although there isnt much competition, although SUSSEX should have got it.

As for Giggs BBC are worried Man Utd will not win anything this year hence they made Giggs an option. Stricky x sports personality - all the same take away the public vote and the true winners would surface

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
That wasn't the question you asked, although for the record I don't think either of them is a 'genius' and I don't think Giggs is either.

He's good, but is he Pele, is he Maradona, is he Cruyff? Will he be remembered in the same breath as those three? No, no, no and no.

The question you asked was whether any of the others competed in sports big enough to make them household names by virtue of their achievements. Haye and Button do and have achieved that recognition THIS YEAR, which is all that should have counted for this award.

Well sadly, despite competing in highly popular sports they didn't convince the British public to vote for them. Boxing and Formula One had four of the top six slots in the past two years. No reason why they couldn't have won IF they had convinced the public that they were the full package that tends to win this award.. but they didn't...

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Are they idiots or something?

I know quite a few that subscribe to the Ferguson point of view that the Beeb is heavily biased towards Liverpool (Hansen, Lawrenson, Green etc etc) and believe Fergie is right not to do the press conferences. Some United fans do seem to have a slightly weird mentality, not following England for example. That's all a bit odd if you ask me and does not seem to exist at other clubs.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It is Sports PERSONALITY of the Year, not Sports ACHIEVER of the Year, so he didn't actually have to achieve very much to win it.

If you're going purely on personality, Giggs doesn't deserve it as he doesn't have one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here