Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations Ryan Giggs

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nearly as shocking a decision as the team of the year award. Yes, The England cricket team won the ashes. BUT...

The ladies cricket team won the ashes, the 50 over World Cup, and the T20 world Cup yet didn't actually get a mention in the program.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He has been QUALITY the last 12 months - not sure if he's done better in terms off one-off achievements, but he has been good. At least deserves some credit!

I would say Drogba has been a better player than Giggs over the last 12 months.
Where's his Sports Personality of the Year award?
Just because Giggs is an old **** and is still playing, he is apparently the best player in the world. I don't understand it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The ladies cricket team won the ashes, the 50 over World Cup, and the T20 world Cup yet didn't actually get a mention in the program.

Apart from the 2 or 3 minute long bit where they were all on stage (in hideous matching outfits) while their captain was being interviewed, obviously.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
How did he win Player of the Year last season as well?!
Conspiracy theories anyone?

Because of the longevity of his success, his professionalism and the fact that he won the Premier League and the Carling Cup?

It's not as if he hasn't won anything this year, and he is clearly one of the greatest sportspeople of the last decade. His attitude and aptitude count too, not just what he won.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Apart from the 2 or 3 minute long bit where they were all on stage (in hideous matching outfits) while the captain was being interviewed, obviously.

Oops :blush: Must've been when I made the tea. Still didn't win nowt though did they.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Because of the longevity of his success, his professionalism and the fact that he won the Premier League and the Carling Cup?

It's not as if he hasn't won anything this year, and he is clearly one of the greatest sportspeople of the last decade. His attitude and aptitude count too, not just what he won.

Agreed and absolutley spot on!

:shrug:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hey, it's a public vote at the end of the day - loads of good candinates, only one can win!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Hey, it's a public vote at the end of the day - loads of good candinates, only one can win!

just shows what a MOCKERY public votes make of things really!

see leon jackson x factor 2007 as another prime example!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I would say Drogba has been a better player than Giggs over the last 12 months.
Where's his Sports Personality of the Year award?
Just because Giggs is an old **** and is still playing, he is apparently the best player in the world. I don't understand it.

I'm sure Didier Drogba will get some recognition in the Ivory Coast. This award is for British sportsmen and women. The award is not best sportsman or woman in the world, it's the British Sports Personality of the year. It's not just about winning things, it's about your contribution, your persona, your general impact, respsect from your peers and the public and achievments.

Every couple of years you get a duff one as there is no olympics/world cup or stand out winner. You sometimes get the sympathy vote for someone who thinks they should have won it or has not had the recognition they deserve, i.e Calzaghe. Giggs is one of those.

I was upstairs looking after my little lad who was ill, missed the whole thing and just saw it on the web. I'm surprised, but who else was there? Strauss was the best player in a shit Ashes series. Button had a good car, the rest didn't. The other lot are either in unpopular sports or just not that notable. It was just one of those years. Anyway, it' not really a big deal is it?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
1271475.jpg

A legend of our game and a worthy winner, it is a privelige to see him on our TV screens every week.

:bowdown:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Put his achievements together over a long, long career and he deserves it FAR more than a rich kid in a fast car and a boring tennis player who bottles it in big tournaments.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Agree with most things posted here, but, having predicted the winner every year for the last 3 or 4 it seems pretty obvious that:

a) if a footballer gets nominated he will probably be in the top 3

b) motor racers always come in the top 2 - they get more publicity than all the rest (bar footballers) put together. Even though it isn't a proper sport !

c)this was not a particularly good year compared with the likes of Redgrave, Hoy etc.

I would have gone for Haye or Cavendish myself. Was it a coincidence that the gal in 3rd place came from Sheffield ?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Put his achievements together over a long, long career and he deserves it FAR more than a rich kid in a fast car and a boring tennis player who bottles it in big tournaments.

Or an unproven (as yet) boxer who beat a freak. Haye's time might yet come though...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The other lot are either in unpopular sports or just not that notable. It was just one of those years.

In spite of the fact that, of the other 9, 6 are recognized as world champions in their respective fields?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
think they should have given gigs the lifetime award, and Seve the year award. he deserves it, after what he's gone though.

Perhaps Tiger Woods should get the 2010 award on that reasoning given that...

- he's not British
- he won't be playing sport in 2010
- he'll be going though a lot

:wozza:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Hairy Welsh twat wins award for doing JACK SHIT.

Well done British voting public, well done indeed.

FARCE of the century. I genuinely thought that of ALL the candidates he was by far the weakest and only nominated so football had someone representing our country's most popular sport.

This just goes to show that awards like this shouldn't be allowed to be decided by the public at large. They've let the country down and made the prize essentially meaningless.

By all means sports stars, achieve great things and become the greatest in your field but you'll not get any recognition off the public because they're too busy creaming themselves over a tired old Welshman who has only got a nomination to make up numbers.

I can't bear to think of all the sad little Man United fans who'll be wanking themselves to sleep tonight over a poster of the shirtless Giggs proudly displaying his Connery-esque chest wig.

IT'S A f***ing SCANDAL

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Beat me to it.

Yes but that wouldn't justify the award for this year. he is often left out of Manchester United's line up and has played well but not absolutely utterly brilliant. Hasn't been the best player in England or even at Man Utd. One for the lifetime achievement award later in life i believe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here