Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congestion charge in Brighton & Hove

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Their planning policy of not building north of the bypass is, I believe, their own and could surely be overturned.

Whilst I agree with your points, surely this point depends on whether the boundary of the South Downs NP starts immediately north of the A27. If it does, then it will be nigh on impossible to build P&R facilities there as it won't be of benefit to the NP.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think its would be good aslong as they dont:

B) make it free for people who live/work within the boundary

!

Unless you meant those that "live AND work" (as opposed to OR), surely the charge would be intended to hit those who travel in by car to work within the City, as they are one of the main causers of congestion?

So highly unlikely to be free for workers.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Unless you meant those that "live AND work" (as opposed to OR), surely the charge would be intended to hit those who travel in by car to work within the City, as they are one of the main causers of congestion?

So highly unlikely to be free for workers.

On reflection, I might have misread your post first time round!Should have spotted the "dont" at the start.:dunce:

D

Deleted User X18H

It is a ploy, the latest one, to drive down property prices in Brighton and Hove which with capital gains tax at 18% won't bother too many residents. Deterring people coming into the town with a charge, will initially stop a lot of tourism and affect the local economy. Then of course certain event organisers concerned by lack of available funds will take there gigs, displays and festivals else where. All sudden Brighton and Hove is no longer the uber place to be

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think its would be good aslong as they dont:

A) make it too expensive, £5 MAX I think

It HAS to be expensive, otherwise you wouldnt chose the bus.

Drivers would be given the choice of £5 to drive or £3.60 to get the bus. I would say that most people would take the £5 option as it is more convinient.

If you dont reduce the bus prices, then the congestion charge is POINTLESS

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is a ploy, the latest one, to drive down property prices in Brighton and Hove which with capital gains tax at 18% won't bother too many residents. Deterring people coming into the town with a charge, will initially stop a lot of tourism and affect the local economy. Then of course certain event organisers concerned by lack of available funds will take there gigs, displays and festivals else where. All sudden Brighton and Hove is no longer the uber place to be

If London is the benchmark, your point would be largely irrelevant, because the vast majority of these events are at weekends, when congestion charging is not applied.

And what does the rate of CGT have to do with it?

D

Deleted User X18H

If London is the benchmark, your point would be largely irrelevant, because the vast majority of these events are at weekends, when congestion charging is not applied.

And what does the rate of CGT have to do with it?

Are you 100% certain a Brighton and Hove congestion charge would not be applied at weekends? The ref to CGT is because many B&H residents own second or third properties within the town and rent these out.As selling these properties would incur CGT many would find this prohibitive so would not be concerned if prices did start to drop.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd have thought a congestion charge in Brighton would particularly apply at weekends - in the summer anyway - as that's certainly when the worst congestion occurs.

But there'd need to be changes made to public transport. For example, the policy of not allowing cyclists to travel back by train would need to be looked at - it would be totally unreasonable to force people to come in by road and then levy a charge on them. The whole point of the congestion charge is to encourage people to use public transport, if that's not on offer, it rather negates it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are you 100% certain a Brighton and Hove congestion charge would not be applied at weekends? The ref to CGT is because many B&H residents own second or third properties within the town and rent these out.As selling these properties would incur CGT many would find this prohibitive so would not be concerned if prices did start to drop.

I've no idea whether a Brighton congestion charge would be at the weekends - it's still only in the ideas stage. I said 'if London is the benchmark'...

As for your bit about 'many residents' owning second or third properties in the centre of Brighton - well, only you would think of that. I'm sure the council will give them top priority when it comes to making this decision.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Better give me top priority as I f***ing pay for a parking permit already!

D

Deleted User X18H

I've no idea whether a Brighton congestion charge would be at the weekends - it's still only in the ideas stage. I said 'if London is the benchmark'...

As for your bit about 'many residents' owning second or third properties in the centre of Brighton - well, only you would think of that. I'm sure the council will give them top priority when it comes to making this decision.

Well seeing as the council have installed the residents parking criteria as being from 9am - 8pm 7 days a week, I expect they will be looking to make as much as possible from this latest procedure. Where all the cash goes is beyond me, the lamp post outside us has been flickering since September etc etc etc!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
HB&B quoted

"Then of course certain event organisers concerned by lack of available funds will take there gigs, displays and festivals else where. All sudden Brighton and Hove is no longer the uber place to be "

Exactly the sort of events you moan about I would suggest, eh?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well certainly they should charge DOUBLE on Pride day to pay for the cleaning of Preston park afterwards.

D

Deleted User X18H

HB&B quoted

"Then of course certain event organisers concerned by lack of available funds will take there gigs, displays and festivals else where. All sudden Brighton and Hove is no longer the uber place to be "

Exactly the sort of events you moan about I would suggest, eh?

Absolutely

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Apologies if the following question is slightly ridiculous, but i haven't read much into this proposal. The thing is i live in the Patcham/Withdean area of Brighton. With this proposed new congestion charge, i would presume that i would be outside of the designated "city centre" area of town. Now i often need to nip into town for odd things which would take too long on the bus, or due to various reasons wouldnt be worthwile (for example, my mum often requires lots of equipment for work, so the bus isnt practical). So would people like me, be charged everytime i drove into the city centre? or would it be more likely that people within say 5 miles of the City would be allowed a free permit?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apologies if the following question is slightly ridiculous, but i haven't read much into this proposal. The thing is i live in the Patcham/Withdean area of Brighton. With this proposed new congestion charge, i would presume that i would be outside of the designated "city centre" area of town. Now i often need to nip into town for odd things which would take too long on the bus, or due to various reasons wouldnt be worthwile (for example, my mum often requires lots of equipment for work, so the bus isnt practical). So would people like me, be charged everytime i drove into the city centre? or would it be more likely that people within say 5 miles of the City would be allowed a free permit?

No-one can answer this because there are no proposals on the table. What the council wants to do is see if this is feasible only then will we be able to see what area's covered, the discounts (if any) for B&H residents, the time limits and charges. My guess is that, even if this went ahead, we'd be unlikely to see it implemented before 2012 at the earliest.

They haven't said. However it's likely that unless you lived right on the border of the zone you would have to pay; however you would only pay once per day. Potentially, if it follows the method suggested for Manchester, it would only be during peak hours, but I think it's more likely that it would be a all-day thing (over say 7AM-7PM, rather than 7AM-9AM and 5PM-7PM) to force tourists and weekenders to pay as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

As Gwylan said, nothing is set down.

However, if it follows London's precedent, it's a daily charge, not an individual charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here