Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Confirmation Vicente has signed! [Season 1: 2011]

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I must be the only miserable bastard not completely creaming himself at this.

Do we really need another winger ? Mores the point, do we need one who's career is littered with injuries ? He's not featured for Spain for 6 years, so there's clearly a reason for that. I'm sure the Vicente of 2005 was one hell of a player, but whats he been doing the last 2-3 years ? Even if he's on a free, he must be on a fair old whack salary-wise.

I'll trust Gus's judgement if this turns out to be true of course, he's so rarely wrong. But my hopes before 11pm are for a back-to-goal striker who can hold the ball up, and some cover for the fullbacks. Not a "name" winger who used to be brilliant.
Poyet knows the Spanish leagues and players very well. I'm sure he would know all about this chaps background. After all he brought over Inigo. Even if it's only for the rest of this season we sign him for just in case the old injuries resurface it's hardly a let down is it? You come across like Withdean Wanderer and i'm surprised by that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If you type flairometer into google images you get this:
Amex-Stadium.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow... Not featured for Spain in SIX YEARS?! What will the rest of our current Spanish internationals think? Apparently Spain have been quite good recently too which may have contributed.

Sure, but my point is, going by the reaction, people are fully expecting the Vicente of 2005 to rock up. I'd be more interested to know what the Vincente of 2011 has left in his locker, following ankle surgery and lengthy spells on the sidelines, moving to a lower-league club in a foreign country.

I'll put my trust in Gus obviously, but I still think its a bit early to expect this guy to be the Second Coming.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Below is on SS now be good if Gus can pull it off
Vicente is available on a free transfer after his Valencia contract expired and he has been chased by a string of clubs.

The former Spain international has received several offers to stay in La Liga, but the 30-year-old is understood to be open to a move to the England.

Brighton are now ready to offer Vicente a move to the Championship with Gus Poyet using his contacts in Spain to set up the move for the winger.

The Seagulls have shown their ambition this summer by beating a host of clubs to the signing Craig Mackail-Smith and Poyet is now hoping to bring Vicente to the Amex Stadium.
Vicente is available on a free transfer after his Valencia contract expired and he has been chased by a string of clubs.

The former Spain international has received several offers to stay in La Liga, but the 30-year-old is understood to be open to a move to the England.

Brighton are now ready to offer Vicente a move to the Championship with Gus Poyet using his contacts in Spain to set up the move for the winger.

The Seagulls have shown their ambition this summer by beating a host of clubs to the signing Craig Mackail-Smith and Poyet is now hoping to bring Vicente to the Amex Stadium.

And repeat to fade ....

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Below is on SS now be good if Gus can pull it off

So good they wrote it twice!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I must be the only miserable bastard not completely creaming himself at this.

Do we really need another winger ? Mores the point, do we need one who's career is littered with injuries ? He's not featured for Spain for 6 years, so there's clearly a reason for that. I'm sure the Vicente of 2005 was one hell of a player, but whats he been doing the last 2-3 years ? Even if he's on a free, he must be on a fair old whack salary-wise.

I'll trust Gus's judgement if this turns out to be true of course, he's so rarely wrong. But my hopes before 11pm are for a back-to-goal striker who can hold the ball up, and some cover for the fullbacks. Not a "name" winger who used to be brilliant.

Don't worry, I'm sure BensGrandad will agree with you when he comes online.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
And you are right about him kicking out Mata of the starting XI when Unai Emery finally decided to play him the last 3 months of season 2009-10. The reason he haven't played more the past 3 seasons wasn't his injury problems, but his bad relationship with Coach Emery. In fact, last season he hasn't injury problems and he was available 90% of the season (only a minor microfibre strain in January and he recovered in 2 weeks). In season 2008-09 he played 45 games.

If he turns out to be fit then I will definitely begin nursing a semi, and who KNOWS where that may lead.

Lots of question marks in my mind over a signing like this though. I guess I'm just not USED to us actually signing players I've heard of. Its taking some time to adjust.

Our new Spanish friend suggests his injury problems maybe behind him. Just searched Vicente on twitter and it's going bonkers. People literally can not believe it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If he turns out to be fit then I will definitely begin nursing a semi, and who KNOWS where that may lead.

Lots of question marks in my mind over a signing like this though. I guess I'm just not USED to us actually signing players I've heard of. Its taking some time to adjust.

Understand your reservations but not the reasons. The Spanish guy that posted here (assuming it isn't a wind up) said Vicente has been fit but given the cold shoulder treatment. That would make it a special signing, if it happens. But what is going on in my thoughts is, why was he only snapped up on transfer deadline day? And why has he been struggling to find a club? I'm a bit confused. I'll not get excited quite yet and hopefully I can man up to being totally wrong for not juicing up at my desk today come December, and he has been a major part of the transformation of our club. I do however, 110% trust Gus' judgement.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

I may be jumping the gun a bit but I do think this has come about as a result of Lua Lua's fitness and pace (or lack of) and Gus isn't happy to rely on him, Noone and Buckley for wingers this year

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Sure, but my point is, going by the reaction, people are fully expecting the Vicente of 2005 to rock up. I'd be more interested to know what the Vincente of 2011 has left in his locker, following ankle surgery and lengthy spells on the sidelines, moving to a lower-league club in a foreign country.

I'll put my trust in Gus obviously, but I still think its a bit early to expect this guy to be the Second Coming.

Your right, if he was still at the 2005 level, it would be the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd etc looking at him. Sky sports have said he has 'several offers' to stay in La Liga, so clearly most of the Spanish top flight still think he has it in him.

We've only got a sniff because of his injury record and Gus, but that's fine for me!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I agree. I really want to see KLL have a decent run in the team, as well as Buckley and Noone - of course Gus knows what he's doing but it does seem strange..

Not really. Gus said yesterday he has a chance of getting a player who was so special he had to have him (or words to that effect). We have recently been treated to some good players, but by all accounts, this guy is GREAT! Maybe the reason he has chosen us has something to do with the chance to develop players around him?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
NO f***ing WAY !!! , a few years ago this man was WORLD class . i am fairly conident this man would walk into every team in this league and a hell of a lot in the prem .
if we do sign him this will be our best summer signing (sorry craig) :) :)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Aug 11th - Skysports.com understands Everton and Sunderland are eyeing a move for former Valencia winger Vicente. The experienced wide man is available on a free transfer after his Valencia contract expired and he has been chased by a string of clubs. Vicente has received several offers to stay in La Liga, but the 30-year-old is understood to be open to a move to the Premier League. He was linked with Blackburn Rovers, Newcastle United and Swansea City earlier in the summer, and is now a target for Everton and Sunderland. The two top-flight clubs have had contrasting summers in the transfer market, with Everton yet to make a high-profile signing and Sunderland bringing in a wealth of fresh faces. With David Moyes also short on funds at Goodison Park, the availability of Vicente on a free transfer would be appealing to the Toffees.

Maybe Gus has done the old "We're playing great football, getting rave reviews - top of the table -put yourself in the shop window and we'll all benefit" approach he used on Calde.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I am amazed that some people aren't that impressed by this!

From what I have read about him he would be a fantastic signing. People have been going on about Owen etc, I reckon this is a bigger signing than Owen would have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here