Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Confession time , Come clean

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
As one who wanted McGhee out I think the mistake was that he was sacked at the wrong time.

He should have gone in the summer giving another manager the chance to come work with the squad maybe get a player or two and takes us on.

However if he was going to be given a crack at this season which Dick obviously wanted then it should have been a fair one and personnally feel he wasn't given enough time or support once he was kept on.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

brightonfan_86 said:
How was it the wrong f***ing decision? He lost the fans, the dressing room, the team spirit and passion and desire. He was to tactically inept, he blamed everyone else apart from him.

This Mcghee bollocks will go on untill we move in on Falmer, and I can't wait. :thud:

So whos fault was it that we lacked team spirit, passion and desire yesterday? Who made the tactically inept decision of bringing a defender on when we were 2-0 down?

I wouldn't be so annoyed that MM was sacked he we got someone with experience.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Dougal said:
that get over it comment is bollox. Something i care for with all my heart , I'm simply not going to "get over anything"

I do give a shit even if you dont :angry:

Of course I give a shit mate, I've been supporting this club since I was 18 months, I've got blue and white blood in me and I want to see the best for this club.

If you don't want to support the managment, then I request that you go and watch another club.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
brightonfan_86 said:

If you don't want to support the managment, then I request that you go and watch another club.

Thats a shit comment Kev, Just because we dont agree with a decsion made means we should f*** off and support another club? Because if that was the criteria this club wouldn't have many fans as we have all disagreed with a decision made by the club at one time or another.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

Guinness Boy said:
Right - that's it, I'm ranting myself.

BHAFC is a business that employs staff to serve it's customers - us. We pay 25 quid a game to watch the product, we buy the shirts we subscribe to Seagulls World. Without us there is no business.

If I got feedback from my customers where I worked my boss would have to assess the strength and validity of complaints. If he felt them to be of small volume or insignificcant nothing would be done. The more customers that complained the more he'd have to consider firing me but IT WOULD STILL BE HIS DECISION.

DK was not backed in to a corner, he took a business decision based on feedback and performance. We pay the wages and we SHOULD have a say but in the end the buck stops with DK.

Yes - he made a decision based on feedback and performance...most feedback was from the fans, but thats by the by now really I think, and not really my point....

My point is that given we haven't attracted players of any note (or at all) why are people suprised to find DW doing the job, and not yet up to par? My point was if that we haven't funds for a player - why would we for a manager? So if MM was sacked, what would be the logical result? Someone from within!

So in that thinking, I was always of the opinion that MM should have stayed - better the devil you know etc etc as I believe DW isn't yet capable of such an uphill battle - but again thats all by the by now....

Repugnant Toad said:
The difference being that the Stoke defeat was totally devoid of anything resembling effort, work-rate or committment; disunity on the pitch and in the stands ... very much McGhee's legacy.

Sunday's defeat wasn't the same thing; rather, it was a group of players who aren't collectively up to it ... equally depressing, but rather easier to tolerate.

Fine, you've often said you were happier watching League 2 football at Gillingham than watching Mark McGhee's teams in the Championship. More joy could be in store for you around the corner.

Pavilionaire said:
LI, I wouldn't call losing to Blackpool a relegation encounter - Orient, Millwall or Rotherham yes.

Secondly, if the Stoke match was meaningless why did I have to pay full price to watch it? I thought the deal was I pay £20 and sit in the wet while the players earn their £2,000 per week by actually trying quite hard to play football.

Or have I missed something?

Yes, you missed the fact that an under-resourced squad gave their all for the entire season and were spent by this game, and that the manager had been in meetings all week to fight off a boardroom attempt to oust him. The club has descended into turmoil and the lacklustre effort against Stoke reflected that. Quite a few significant things to miss.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

Guinness Boy said:
Right - that's it, I'm ranting myself.

BHAFC is a business that employs staff to serve it's customers - us. We pay 25 quid a game to watch the product, we buy the shirts we subscribe to Seagulls World. Without us there is no business.

We've all been down this road of saying the football club is a buisness and they rely on customers like us to pay they're wages. Thats just when things ai'nt going well, We've all said it. The daft thing is when things are going well and we're going to the millenium stadium or winning championships we'd all die for the club! I think the Argus got it right by saying fickle!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Dougal said:
Those who had the daggers out for McGhee , cleanse yourself here and admit you made a mistake...

Go f*** yourself - wanker! Magoo was a complete wanker like you, and left us in the deepest of shit - Wendy has no chance with the players Magoo left behind! :salute:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
this is a good thread because everyone has suddenly started saying they wanted mcghee to stay, i always supported him myself

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

British Bulldog said:
We've all been down this road of saying the football club is a buisness and they rely on customers like us to pay they're wages. Thats just when things ai'nt going well, We've all said it. The daft thing is when things are going well and we're going to the millenium stadium or winning championships we'd all die for the club! I think the Argus got it right by saying fickle!

So you're saying it's not a business? Great. Dear Mr Knight, please can I get in free to the next 10 home games - oh and I'll have a stack of those nice Skint shirts and 80's retro tracksuits next time I'm in the club shop too.

I'm not sure about die for the club but I'd certainly pay 25 quid to actually go to a game that's on in my local pub round the corner for the cost of a pint. I think that gives me a say, no?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

EDIT - hit the wrong button :blush:

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brightonfan_86 said:
I've been supporting this club since I was 18 months, I've got blue and white blood in me and I want to see the best for this club.

:lol: I bet your parents brought you kicking and screaming. No real fan of Brighton would go to the football, kicking and screaming.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

Guinness Boy said:
So you're saying it's not a business? Great. Dear Mr Knight, please can I get in free to the next 10 home games - oh and I'll have a stack of those nice Skint shirts and 80's retro tracksuits next time I'm in the club shop too.

I'm not sure about die for the club but I'd certainly pay 25 quid to actually go to a game that's on in my local pub round the corner for the cost of a pint. I think that gives me a say, no?

Did I say the club ain't a buisness? I was talking about the fickleness of fans depending on how the club are doing!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

British Bulldog said:
Did I say the club ain't a buisness? I was talking about the fickleness of fans depending on how the club are doing!

Fair enough then - I didn't quite get your post so apologies.

My main gripe is really with people insisting that 'the fans got McGhee sacked'. McGhee and Knight got McGhee sacked. It's why it's called leaving by mutual consent.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If I had truly believed we could go back up immediately I might have been supporting the Mcghee out brigade. But I didn't. What i do know for 100% is we would not be where we are now if we'd kept McGhee. No experienced manager would have let this get so bad and most of the damage is caused PRECISELY because the management was changed part way through the season.

We truly have reaped what we sowed.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

Guinness Boy said:
Fair enough then - I didn't quite get your post so apologies.

My main gripe is really with people insisting that 'the fans got McGhee sacked'. McGhee and Knight got McGhee sacked. It's why it's called leaving by mutual consent.

No worries. I don't agree with fans got McGhee sacked because McGhee got himself sacked. Dick Knight's excuse of using the fans was just a big cop out IMO. He should've listened to the rest of the board in the summer, that was the time to go! Wilkins should've been given the job in the summer and at least he could've made the important decisions that had to be made, rather than being left to pick up the pieces of a shambles.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

British Bulldog said:
No worries. I don't agree with fans got McGhee sacked because McGhee got himself sacked. Dick Knight's excuse of using the fans was just a big cop out IMO. He should've listened to the rest of the board in the summer, that was the time to go! Wilkins should've been given the job in the summer and at least he could've made the important decisions that had to be made, rather than being left to pick up the pieces of a shambles.

Except that Wilkins should not have been given the job in the summer, somebody else should have been.

But I agree doing it in the summer would have given us the chance to bring a new manager in with fresh ideas.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

Seagull73 said:
Except that Wilkins should not have been given the job in the summer, somebody else should have been.

Why? Who knows the club & the players better?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Confession time , Come clean

British Bulldog said:
Why? Who knows the club & the players better?

I think its fairly obvious now why he shouldn't have been given the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here