Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Concerts at the Amex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone remind me how many a year we are allowed to hold?

Also what bands are likely to play there? 22500 seats, it's gotta to be really big bands no?

Please don't let the 2 remaining members of the Who, hog one of the concerts either :glare:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's surely infinitely preferable to JLS or the X-Factor tour?

Of course, but come on, we can do better than that surely? If it's got to be an oldie make it ones that have the credibility of still writing music and selling reasonably current albums and already perform regularly in the 21st century. Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen for example?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Queue a ridiculous thread where everyone states their favourite bands and we all discover that everyone else's taste in music is 'shit'...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Can someone remind me how many a year we are allowed to hold?

Also what bands are likely to play there? 22500 seats, it's gotta to be really big bands no?

Please don't let the 2 remaining members of the Who, hog one of the concerts either :glare:

I think it's currently two concerts a year.

I'm no expert but I would imagine that tickets would just be sold for the West Stand?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's currently two concerts a year.

I'm no expert but I would imagine that tickets would just be sold for the West Stand?

Why's that then?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
With the West Stand being the main viewing area, bars, facilities etc. wouldn't the stage have to be in front of the middle of the East Stand?

So they would have to close the East Stand... and probably the east ends of the North and South too... as you would have no sight lines. With people on the pitch... what would the useable capacity for a stadium concert actually be ? perhaps 15,000 ??

Or would you put the stage at the South End... and make everyone in the West Stand sit on one cheek?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why's that then?

See below!!

With the West Stand being the main viewing area, bars, facilities etc. wouldn't the stage have to be in front of the middle of the East Stand?

So they would have to close the East Stand... and probably the east ends of the North and South too... as you would have no sight lines. With people on the pitch... what would the useable capacity for a staium concert actually be ??

Or would you put the stage at the South End... and make everyone in the West Stand sit on one cheek?

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
i imagine they will put a stage at one end of the pitch, and only sell the seats that have view of it (in the region of 15-16000 I would hazard a guess). Then squeeze another ten to 15 thousand on the pitch itself.
It will have to be a massive name to sell that out- possibly a mini festival line up like REM always seem to go for with about 5 support acts.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Thats what they do at Wembley, Twickenham and the Ricoh Arena with concerts - the stage at one end. I'm not too sure about other stadiums.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i imagine they will put a stage at one end of the pitch, and only sell the seats that have view of it (in the region of 15-16000 I would hazard a guess). Then squeeze another ten to 15 thousand on the pitch itself.
It will have to be a massive name to sell that out- possibly a mini festival line up like REM always seem to go for with about 5 support acts.

No way it'll be more than 22,500 (initially) due to transport.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thats what they do at Wembley, Twickenham and the Ricoh Arena with concerts - the stage at one end. I'm not too sure about other stadiums.

But those are much more evenly distributed stands. With the main West Stand being more than half of the capacity, it would be pretty lopsided.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I think the current planning only allows one concert a year.

The only stadium that I've seen pictures of with a stage in front of one of the side stands was the San Siro and (albeit on a grander scale) they have the same issue of one side being much bigger than the other.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It does amuse me that they are still "The Who" bearing in mind there is only 50% of them left. Its like if Ringo and Paul played gigs and said "hey The Beatles are back".

Err no your not.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Besides the new Strokes album is out soon.

Tour to follow no doubt.

Bloom MAKE it happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here