Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

D

Deleted User X18H

The Southdown Coaches lined up on summer weekends just east of the Palace Pier with boards on the pavement in front of them advertising day or half-day excursions (some of them "Mystery Tours"). There was a story about a couple from the north of the county deciding to take one of these "Mystery Tours" and finding out it went to their village!

Anyone have any photographs?

My Dad used to insist we went on these mystery tours on many on Sunday as they were 'bloody good VFM' I remember once we got stuck with an old girl from London opposite us on the Coach the driver announced our route would take us through Mid Sussex including 'Henfield' she shrilled 'Enfield thats where I live would you believe it' then later 'no don't recognise any of this' after a while my mother quietly informed her she had dropped one H to many!!

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
The boating lake on the seafront near the west Pier.

I used to work on the small boats by the West Pier. The small engines used to have a shearing pin on the propeller, to prevent the boats going too fast. At the weekend the ‘gobbies’ got in the boats with their girlfriends, they would try to rev the engines too hard, the pin would break and they would sit there going nowhere, with the engine screaming it’s nuts off. We would have to jump across the boats to get them safely to the side. The lake used to be drained and cleaned once a year at the beginning of the season, we used to find (and keep) £’s in coins that had fallen out of pockets.

We also to ran an enclosed bouncy castle thingy on the West Pier. There was a well endowed girl wearing a boob tube one day, her activity caused the tube to slip, marvelous screens.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We also to ran an enclosed bouncy castle thingy on the West Pier. There was a well endowed girl wearing a boob tube one day, her activity caused the tube to slip, marvelous screens.

Did the marvellous screens prevent people catching an eyeful? :lolol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Talking of seafront attractions, the OLD Peter Pan's Playground. It's hard now to picture what a substantial amusement park it once was: great dodgems, a very big big wheel and a fine helter-skelter. And the sun always shone.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Talking of seafront attractions, the OLD Peter Pan's Playground. It's hard now to picture what a substantial amusement park it once was: great dodgems, a very big big wheel and a fine helter-skelter. And the sun always shone.

Peter pans used to be one of the moped meeting places along with the Wimpy in London and the under the "tunnel" when it rained up in the cark park up west street.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Indeed and thinking about it wasnt the what is now Concorde 2 opposite was some sort of childrens play area - I seem to recall a clown picture or something.

Also cant believe no one has mentioned the original Concorde with Pirates Deep next door?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

with a blinding air rifle gallery where you knocked down the three ladys for a prize, and got the pellets given to you in the tobacco tins nailed to the counter.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
the tramp with a bushy brown beard asking for 10p around pavilion gardens and Lanes

Saw him in the southwick area in very recent times and he does not appear to have aged

What about the short chap with the Punch and Judy face that used to walk up and down north street and western road touching his forlock as you went by on the bus?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Good call. But WHY did they used to mutter an abbreviated rendition of whatever you'd ordered into a little Tom Jones Show-style microphone? It wasn't just in order to prompt whoever was on cooking duty round the back to get busy, because they used to do it even when the serving people then went and cooked it themselves.

"Could I have a double bluecheese burger and fries please?"
"onedblbluechizfrize"
"And a chocolate shake"
"chosheik"

Disconcerting.

Having worked at the York Place branch for 18 months, let me tell you that Tom Jones style took some perfecting - we likened it more to an end of pier bingo caller :)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Infact unless I am wrong the only kind of memorials to anything railway related in Brighton are on the walls of Lewes Road Sainsburys and at the front of Gala Bingo on the Kemp Town station site

what is on the walls of Sainsburys - cant say ive noticed anything myself although the outside is mostly covered in ivy now

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I'll never forget walking around Hove Park the following morning after the big hurricane of '87. One could see things that were not visible before (ugly buldings) and massive great trees had been thrown around like mere playthings.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/category_id__1033_path__0p116p183p.aspx

Yep - the storm changed a whole load of places from my childhood memories.

Seeing the trees fallen around the ride on train in Hove Park reminded then of one of my earliest memories: of what I thought was a huge walk from the edge of the park to the train! (Maybe a couple of hundred yards?)

The way the beach huts at the bottom of Grand Avenue etc were just broken up like matchboxes was scary as well. With the damage around where I was living (Third Ave) I couldn't believe I hadn't been woken!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
what is on the walls of Sainsburys - cant say ive noticed anything myself although the outside is mostly covered in ivy now

When they built Sainsburys didnt they mimic the arches of the viaduct on the external walls? (and no I dont mean the entrances to the car park :) )

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Seeing the trees fallen around the ride on train in Hove Park reminded then of one of my earliest memories: of what I thought was a huge walk from the edge of the park to the train! (Maybe a couple of hundred yards?)

The way the beach huts at the bottom of Grand Avenue etc were just broken up like matchboxes was scary as well. With the damage around where I was living (Third Ave) I couldn't believe I hadn't been woken!

I, too, slept through it. Very exciting for a seven year old. Day off school and plenty of trees to be scrambled over. We had worse winds a couple of years later, but as there were no leaves on the trees and the ground was solid, there was not much destruction.

It's easy to forget what the centre of Brighton looked like before 1987. The elm trees in Victoria Gardens were AWESOME.

elm0002.jpg

elm_1.jpg

elm_4.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here