Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
table tennis at the nalgo club

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Silver ring boxing club used to put their shows on in this hall at the race course. Does anyone know if they still do that ? Or even if the silver ring boxing club still exists ? Going back to late 70's early 80's here.[/QUOTE

There is a new boxing club there now

leisureboxer.co.uk Online

Silver ring went several years ago but the tradition is carrying on with a boxing gym and stable lads boxing matches plus the corporate side.

Thanks.

I used to go there to watch shows as a kid with West Hill Boys club from Hastings. I never boxed but had mates who did and my family were very involved with the club. My dad was also an ABA judge.

I vividly remember it being a freezing cold venue even with the industrial hot air blowers they used to wheel out to try to warm it up. I remember betting booths around the hall with Tote signs everywhere. Had some good nights over there as the rivalry between Silver Ring and West Hill was always keen but friendly.

Shame to hear Silver Ring as a club no longer exists in name. West Hill is still going strong and producing some top quality boys from a ramshackle back street gym.

P.S I'm confused by that link you posted.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Paying to get on and walking through the Palace Pier Turnstyles

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
the beer garden at the Hollingbury pub with a cricket net in it

not being allowed to set foot on the school playing fields during school holidays

being able to walk up through the woods in Hollingdean to ditchling road before the 1987 hurricane

free parking in Pavilion Gardens after 6pm (single yellow lines)

waste ground for parking near Brighton Town Hall

a sweet shop on every corner

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
"The guy who used to wave at you if you tooted him by the bridge in Tongdean Lane or The Deneway - not sure if he was in a chair or Downs - but cheered us up when he waved back."

I wonder if it's the same guy that always waved to the football buses as we made our way back from the Goldstone passed Withers.? Were buses smaller back then as double deckers used to go under the bridge.

Also, in an earlier post, it was indeed a typo when I put down 1 instead of 10 as serving lower bev.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The Southdown Coaches lined up on summer weekends just east of the Palace Pier with boards on the pavement in front of them advertising day or half-day excursions (some of them "Mystery Tours"). There was a story about a couple from the north of the county deciding to take one of these "Mystery Tours" and finding out it went to their village!

Anyone have any photographs?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
not being allowed to set foot on the school playing fields during school holidays

To my mind, it's the other way round. These days you can't set foot on school fields during the holidays while 30 years ago, we couldn't keep off them.

I don't know what school you went to but we used the Varndean School playing fields just about every holiday. We were still playing on them during our holidays from uni, some three or four years after leaving school.

what saddens me is the number of playing fields that have been built on - Varndean must have lost 25 percent of the fields that it had 40 years ago.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i didn't go there (obviously) but we used to play football in the hockey goals at Varndean Girls until we were regularly chucked off by the Park Warden or school caretaker. Was ok if we played on the Balfour or Stringer pitches!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i didn't go there (obviously) but we used to play football in the hockey goals at Varndean Girls until we were regularly chucked off by the Park Warden or school caretaker. Was ok if we played on the Balfour or Stringer pitches!

We used the hockey goals at Varndean Boys. One of the goals was right outside the caretaker's house but he never said anything to us.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
When did Preston Barracks stop being used?

I locked the main gate at 6.30pm this evening. It will re-open for us folk that work there at about 6.50am tomorrow.

Not sure if your just being a twat or not understood the question properly.

From memory i did a pools round up there for the living quarters mid to late 70's so believe it stopped bring an army establishment around very late 70's early 80's. well at least for the live in soldiers anyway.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Gaiety2.gif

plus:

'Clapshaw & Cleave' Sports Shop in Queens Road

'Diplomat' Records in London Road

'Stunning Rags' Clothes Shop in Queens Road

Diplomat - Buying a birthday card and then upstairs for a dip into the bargain basement 45rpms - what a shop that was.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
who used to jump over the foot bath at St Luke's swimming pool because it was too cold?....and the swinging doors on the Girls and Boys changing rooms....next to each other - you had to get your timing right for a peep (nb/ when i was 10).

I did. Bloody female teacher used to come in the boys' changing room when we were actually changing - at age 11! But yes, many an early boner was experienced in those changing rooms.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's something inherently comforting and satisfying that the sounds, sights and smells of the beach area (especially the salt & vinegar of the fish & chips stalls at the foot of the Palace Pier) from when I was growing up are still there now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here