Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely OTT stewarding outside family stand

I arrived early today to be greeted by 3 stewards checking that my tickets were for the family stand.

Why? It's not a high profile game, there's no history of rivalry between the two clubs, it was bleeding obvious to anyone that I was going to be in the family stand, what with my packed sandwiches, ponchos and dare I say it the fact that I was with 2 young children might also be a clue.

I counted and there were 14 stewards policing the whole of the South Stand. No less than 13 policing the family stand. And how many of us in that stand were there? a hundred or so?

What was the point of all that? Never ever ever seen that before. Completely ridiculous and don't give me any bollocks about hoolies infiltrating the stand to get to the Hartlepool fans.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I arrived early today to be greeted by 3 stewards checking that my tickets were for the family stand.

Why? It's not a high profile game, there's no history of rivalry between the two clubs, it was bleeding obvious to anyone that I was going to be in the family stand, what with my packed sandwiches, ponchos and dare I say it the fact that I was with 2 young children might also be a clue.

I counted and there were 14 stewards policing the whole of the South Stand. No less than 13 policing the family stand. And how many of us in that stand were there? a hundred or so?

What was the point of all that? Never ever ever seen that before. Completely ridiculous and don't give me any bollocks about hoolies infiltrating the stand to get to the Hartlepool fans.

Probably something to do with the the trouble in that end last time the away fans were there.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
The club has some very good stewarts, unfortunately it has some complete muppets aswell.

What game was that ?

Barnet. Away fans gobbing on the kids below them, and abusive banter (Barnet have some silly pratts).

But - whenever the away fans are given the East Stand, there has to be separation from the family stand. Hence the extra stewards.
HOWEVER - some people ought to be able to figure this simple stuff out for themselves and be grateful that people hired to do that job, are really doing it!

(so Pot noodles - do try to focus on something less trite than creating a thread about this. It's very poor)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe they were ANTICIPATING one of Ernests MASSIVE protests!

Barnet. Away fans gobbing on the kids below them, and abusive banter (Barnet have some silly pratts).

But - whenever the away fans are given the East Stand, there has to be separation from the family stand. Hence the extra stewards.
HOWEVER - some people ought to be able to figure this simple stuff out for themselves and be grateful that people hired to do that job, are really doing it!

(so Pot noodles - do try to focus on something less trite than creating a thread about this. It's very poor)

Bollocks. Why check the tickets before I got to the turnstile? Surely a cursory glance AT the turnstile would suffice. Secondly, ticket only matches means they know how many people to expect and where they are sitting i.e. bugger all within spitting distance. Thirdly, One steward halfway up the stand would have sufficed to spot which of the 40 or so Hartlepool fans were causing trouble.

So NMH, do try to focus on my points before automatically going into defensive post mode. It was OTT and you know it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bollocks. Why check the tickets before I got to the turnstile? Surely a cursory glance AT the turnstile would suffice. Secondly, ticket only matches means they know how many people to expect and where they are sitting i.e. bugger all within spitting distance. Thirdly, One steward halfway up the stand would have sufficed to spot which of the 40 or so Hartlepool fans were causing trouble.

So NMH, do try to focus on my points before automatically going into defensive post mode. It was OTT and you know it.

What actually happened beyond your ticket getting checked outside and there being more than the usual count of stewards in the stand ?

YAWN!

Because there were a few HOME supporters with tickets for the EAST stand, who needed to be relocated - rather than situating them in their seats surrounded by away fans (even the paltry 50 away fans there).

Chrissakes Pnfe, think on your feet will you? I'm starting to believe that your opening word in that post, is what's keeping your ears apart. :glare:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

PnfE

Maybe count yourself lucky?

That you werent given more of a hard time by the stewards. Seeing as you were presumably trying to enter the ground with the "packed sandwiches"?
Suprised you werent taken away and "strip searched" by the stewards in the gents?

As for taking two young children to the game with you. A well known "hoolie" ploy.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights

I'll will answer these for you PNFE;
The 3 stewards were there because the west end turnstiles weren't open.
Half of the 14 stewards are usually in charge of west stand,as it was not open they had to be deployed to the family stand to watch the away fans, add that to the normal amount for the FS, that adds up to 14 stewards.
Hope this soughts it out for you.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Half of the 14 stewards are usually in charge of west stand,as it was not open they had to be deployed to the family stand to watch the away fans, add that to the normal amount for the FS, that adds up to 14 stewards.

champion7

What are the rules about taking "packed sandwiches" into the ground?

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Youv'e beat me on this one.I suggest ASK THE CLUB.

champion7

Will do. And at the same time will also ask the club, if it is possible to bring in one of those disposable barbeques that you can get in Woolies for about £2.99p.
Plus a couple of T-bone steaks that I would be putting on it.

YAWN!

Because there were a few HOME supporters with tickets for the EAST stand, who needed to be relocated - rather than situating them in their seats surrounded by away fans (even the paltry 50 away fans there).

Chrissakes Pnfe, think on your feet will you? I'm starting to believe that your opening word in that post, is what's keeping your ears apart. :glare:

Blimey. The excuses are coming thick and fast now. First it was we were in danger of being spat on (blew that little tale out the water) and now it appears that tickets were sold for the east stand to home fans. Oh chinny. Oh chinny reckon. Funny you didn't mention this first. And, once again, this could be checked at the turnstile. Yep. Got any more old wives tales.

HAD to be deployed? Oh, I see. West Stand stewards can only look after away fans. They don't have the training to do anything else and the club doesn't have the gumption to say "hmm, 50 away fans and 100 or so family standers means we won't need so many stewards." Money's tight at the club as it is and they probably lost a lot of money with such a poor attendance. Why compound it with such unnecessary nonsense and costs.

My "OTT" comment refers to the bureaucracy and sheer numbers rather than the way the stewards act in the family stand. Their behaviour is always impeccable and friendly, much better than what I've seen in the South Stand. Long may it last. Just want to make that clear.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I spoke to a steward inside the family stand and he said that they had a tip off that there maybe a 'EON' demo in the South East re some Nuclear generators, thus the security as EON sponser the FAC................and I am not joking

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I spoke to a steward inside the family stand and he said that they had a tip off that there maybe a 'EON' demo in the South East re some Nuclear generators, thus the security as EON sponser the FAC................and I am not joking

BobbySmith

Presumably the "demo" was being organised by PneF and the two young children with him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here