Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely OTT stewarding outside family stand

BobbySmith

Presumably the "demo" was being organised by PneF and the two young children with him?

Damn. I've been rumbled. I thought I was being clever by being a STH, wearing Albion stuff and the like but it was the packed sandwiches that gave me away, I bet.

p.s. another story someone heard from a steward in the family stand was that it was because they didn't want a repeat of the Spurs euro game in the week where someone let off a flare.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
No doubt, do not need for these demostrators at our beautiful game, rather watch the skills of Hawkins at the back, the way he put that goal in (I had him at 40/1 to score, wrong bloody net Mr Hawkins, El-ABD so silky in midfield, and of course our natural Center Forward Virgo...........

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

But Steward-433, that link mentions about demonstrating at power stations. Now, I am not entirely sure of the location of the nearest power station in Sussex but surely it can't be placed in the family stand?

It doesn't mention football matches at all and can't find anything on google to back up your assertion that they have disrupted them before. I do agree, however, that to really get your message across and cause the maximum amount of publicity and disruption, nothing would be more attractive as a target than specifically the family stand at a Brighton v Hartlepool game in the first round of the FA Cup. Targetting the South or North stand would not have half the gravitas, hence the lack of extra stewarding in those areas.

Hmmm

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But Steward-433, that link mentions about demonstrating at power stations. Now, I am not entirely sure of the location of the nearest power station in Sussex but surely it can't be placed in the family stand?

It doesn't mention football matches at all and can't find anything on google to back up your assertion that they have disrupted them before. I do agree, however, that to really get your message across and cause the maximum amount of publicity and disruption, nothing would be more attractive as a target than specifically the family stand at a Brighton v Hartlepool game in the first round of the FA Cup. Targetting the South or North stand would not have half the gravitas, hence the lack of extra stewarding in those areas.

Hmmm

Actually there were extra stewards in all the stands.

F.A. Cup games were believed to be targets this weekend according to police so extra measures were put in place "incase" As for the extra stewards in the East end it's F.A. policy how many stewards segregate fans in a shared area NOT the clubs.

Actually there were extra stewards in all the stands.

F.A. Cup games were believed to be targets this weekend according to police so extra measures were put in place "incase" As for the extra stewards in the East end it's F.A. policy how many stewards segregate fans in a shared area NOT the clubs.

Not sure I believe that the South and North Stands had more than the usual number and also not convinced about this FA policy. You got a link to this? Any idea what the policy is? Is it a specific number (which wouldn't work because it wouldn't make sense) or is it number of supporters per steward (if so, why did we have 7 for Hartlepool and not 12 or 15 against Northwich Victoria 2 seasons ago?)

Anyone else get the feeling these stewards are plucking excuses out of the air?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Not sure I believe that the South and North Stands had more than the usual number and also not convinced about this FA policy. You got a link to this? Any idea what the policy is? Is it a specific number (which wouldn't work because it wouldn't make sense) or is it number of supporters per steward (if so, why did we have 7 for Hartlepool and not 12 or 15 against Northwich Victoria 2 seasons ago?)

Believe what you like.

Or go and get the relevant qualifications.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was a SERIOUS over-staffing of stewards today, no matter what official spin gets put on it. I mean there were a couple of stewards on duty at the normal away end, despite the fact that there was not a single fucker in it. The H Block stewards were all on a tea-break well before half-time. Nowt wrong with that, it was a seriously quiet day at the office all round. But PLEASE don't insult anybody's intelligence by quoting some sanctimoious FA Policy bullshit.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

PnfE

As I recollect much of your original post was about how the stewards at the game could use a bit more "common sense"? Especially when dealing with someone who was taking two young children to the football?

But interestingly any comment about them is met with excuses, some bizarre, to justify there actions.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Actually we all missed a trick here!.

All 2,500 of us should have been demonstrating against our power bills!

clippedgull

"All 2,500 of us should have been demonstrating against our power bills!"

Be very careful.

If the stewards get word that this "rumour" might happen.

Then none of us will get let into the midweek game? ???

PnfE

As I recollect much of your original post was about how the stewards at the game could use a bit more "common sense"? Especially when dealing with someone who was taking two young children to the football?

But interestingly any comment about them is met with excuses, some bizarre, to justify there actions.

Agree. A cynic might conclude that the club had the full complement of stewards out today and basically created "duties" for them to justify the numbers. A real shame as it leaves us family standers thinking that they are as jobsworth as the south standers claim and less free or able to make rational, grown-up and informed judgements about what constitutes a risk.

Hmmm

Yes, I also wasted my time reading the whole article for the details of how they have disrupted matches before.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I spoke to a steward inside the family stand and he said that they had a tip off that there maybe a 'EON' demo in the South East re some Nuclear generators, thus the security as EON sponser the FAC................and I am not joking

BobbySmith

I didnt take you seriously at first about the demo.

But i have just learnt from a fellow fan that there young daughter had her plastic windmill from McDonalds confiscated by stewards when she tried to "gain entry" into the family stand today.

Blimey. The excuses are coming thick and fast now. First it was we were in danger of being spat on (blew that little tale out the water) and now it appears that tickets were sold for the east stand to home fans. Oh chinny. Oh chinny reckon. Funny you didn't mention this first. And, once again, this could be checked at the turnstile. Yep. Got any more old wives tales.

No idea what you are looking for, apart from the usual "stewards are like coppers, must show what a REBEL with a CAUSE I am" blithering?

My statement remains the same, not "blown out of any water";
Extra stewards in East entrance because of away fans always allocated stewards/ previously had probs (i.e. SPITTING)/avoidance of possibility of problems (i.e. missiles etc. that's routine actually)
Extra attention before turnstiles to identify a couple of HOME fans with East Stand seats, so they could be relocated (make sense even to you, maybe??)

No excuses, and all responses (which stewards are not required to spend their spare time giving you) are relevant to your questions.

Now you can try to thumb your nose some more and make a bid-deal story of some other agenda stewards MUST have aside from the common sense you've been supplied with, but I suggest you might want to accept things are in your best interests, and stay away from mind-expanding drugs that make you paranoid and want to fight the power/question all authority/distrust the man/etc.

So, with that in mind, here's a nice vid for you to cool out, kick back, chill.

[yt]ehzRS8mZOFM[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here