Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

come on !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I want Saints to go up personally. Nice local ground
And me, plus our obvious family reasons and the 3,500 allocation we get and consequently sell.

I also like the fact that you can walk to St Marys from the town centre.

Although I don't really mind if Huddersfield (or Peterborough) go up, I would actually rather Rochdale (their fans deserve it), Bournemouth or Orient (convenience) got promoted.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You forget that we can afford one more slip up than you.

Surely Brighton fans would prefer a trip to St Marys next season then some northern dump.

By the way, the below puts us up.

Saints:
Brighton A LOSE
Hartlepool H WIN
Brentford A LOSE
Plymouth A WIN
Wallsall H WIN

Huddersfield:
MK Dons A WIN
Daggers H WIN
Brighton A LOSE
Brentford H WIN
Not necessarily.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
However, Lawrie McMenemy was reported as saying, before their home game with Spurs, that they and Spurs both deserved to go up with Bolton. Although Saints were the better team on the day they missed a VERY clear opportunity to score late on and the rest is history. I'm not saying they didn't try to win but they were trying much harder not to lose. If either Saints or Spurs had lost we could have overtaken them. It was unlikely that we would have overtaken Saints but not impossible.
It was McMenemy's comment that left a bad taste in the mouth rather than the eventual result but you can understand why people thought that they fixed it.
To be fair, that is a fairly accurate recollection and assessment.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Personally I thought Clark has a point that day. There was no need for the card waving.

But theres a way to do it. I had no porblem about Clark copying the card-waving at the end of the game, it was the xenophobic comments that I thought were out of order.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If we let you win at Withdean this season then you have to give us 6 points next season in the championship

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
2001/2 to present day...

After 42 games (final points tally in brackets)

93 Brighton (??)
92 Wigan (100)
88 Luton (98)
86 Norwich (95); Leicester (96)
83 Swansea (92)
82 Scunthorpe (91)
81 Plymouth (90)
80 Reading (84) - overtaken by Brighton on 90 points
77 Southend (82)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's funny how people's opinions start differing over a period of time. As I remember it, Saints had virtually given up on the title as they went into the last game, one point behind Bolton who had a much easier home game with Fulham (which also ended 0-0).
However, Lawrie McMenemy was reported as saying, before their home game with Spurs, that they and Spurs both deserved to go up with Bolton. Although Saints were the better team on the day they missed a VERY clear opportunity to score late on and the rest is history. I'm not saying they didn't try to win but they were trying much harder not to lose. If either Saints or Spurs had lost we could have overtaken them. It was unlikely that we would have overtaken Saints but not impossible.
It was McMenemy's comment that left a bad taste in the mouth rather than the eventual result but you can understand why people thought that they fixed it.

This is nearer the truth... and that missed sitter was an obvious indication of a fix... that and the two manager's old pals act before game...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Incorrect, Southampton were shitting themselves that the Spurs top boys would dismantle the town brick by brick is Saints won, so there was 90 minutes of tippy tap around the half way line that day. If you saw MoTD there were no serious chances to either team, and both were happy to play out time.

Wrong... an absolute sitter was missed; I watched MoTD too...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I find NSCers very weird. We have spent mpore than half a season banging on about Adkins comment, which was just a wind up and havent responded to Lee Clarks comments suggesting that the 'foriegner' had a lot to learn on how to behave in the English game after the card-waving incident. One of the few times I have seen Gus really angry.

The comment was at least xenophobic and although I dont agree in prolonging these things I cant understand why we have been giving Saints stick and not Hudds.

Personally I dont care who goes up but I now dislike Clark a lot more than Adkins.

(a) Adkins comment was NOT a wind-up, rather it was pure arrogance, and reflects the arrogance of the chairman and others in that club
(b) I must confess to missing the Hudds manager's offensive comment, but I will say that he gave due respect to the opposition when I heard him talk on the telleybox (versus Swindon)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well unless they overturn a massive goal difference.
I agree that Huddersfield won't catch your GD, but you're forgetting Peterborough who have a better GD than Huddersfield. Only 2 goals better, but that may prove crucial if they win their last 4 while both Soton and Huddersfield lose at least one of their outstanding games as you suggest. Personally I don't think Soton will lose twice, but if they do then Posh are back in it.

And if you get spanked, say, 3-0 on Saturday while Peterborough win handsomely at Orient (as lowly Yeovil managed 5-1 not so long ago), that GD will not look quite so insurmountable.

Last edited:

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
This is nearer the truth... and that missed sitter was an obvious indication of a fix... that and the two manager's old pals act before game...
You surely don't seriously believe that Tony Funnell was such a brilliant footballer that he was able to deliberately hit the post from about 12 yards out rather than blow the "fix" by scoring? He just fooked up pure and simple.

As for MacMenemy, just another "saints manager in ill-advised comment shocker". Seems they don't understand how sensitive you lot are :)

You still here Klaatu-whatever? That's 126 times you've come on here now to tell us we're obsessed, good going.

Whilst you're here have a word with this chap:

It's hard to not take it personally; Saints are my club and any slight on them which I perceive as unjust I feel compelled to respond - especially if I've tried and failed to ignore it previously.

Now, who's a tad sensitive?

Hudderstownafc

Mar 26, 2011
You forget that we can afford one more slip up than you.

Surely Brighton fans would prefer a trip to St Marys next season then some northern dump.

By the way, the below puts us up.

Saints:
Brighton A LOSE
Hartlepool H WIN
Brentford A LOSE
Plymouth A WIN
Wallsall H WIN

Huddersfield:
MK Dons A WIN
Daggers H WIN
Brighton A LOSE
Brentford H WIN