Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

come on !!

Jul 5, 2003
We do people still perpetuate this myth a out 1978? It is a complete fallacy to suggest that sfc drew deliberately with spurs so they would both go up. Sfc were already promoted and were desperate for the win to make them champions. There was open violence between spurs and sfc fans at the preceding game at Brisbane road, and in the last game at the dell sfc battered spurs but couldnt score - and missed out as a result. Still, why let facts hinder 30+ years of unwarranted bitterness?

It's funny how people's opinions start differing over a period of time. As I remember it, Saints had virtually given up on the title as they went into the last game, one point behind Bolton who had a much easier home game with Fulham (which also ended 0-0).
However, Lawrie McMenemy was reported as saying, before their home game with Spurs, that they and Spurs both deserved to go up with Bolton. Although Saints were the better team on the day they missed a VERY clear opportunity to score late on and the rest is history. I'm not saying they didn't try to win but they were trying much harder not to lose. If either Saints or Spurs had lost we could have overtaken them. It was unlikely that we would have overtaken Saints but not impossible.
It was McMenemy's comment that left a bad taste in the mouth rather than the eventual result but you can understand why people thought that they fixed it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We do people still perpetuate this myth a out 1978? It is a complete fallacy to suggest that sfc drew deliberately with spurs so they would both go up. Sfc were already promoted and were desperate for the win to make them champions. There was open violence between spurs and sfc fans at the preceding game at Brisbane road, and in the last game at the dell sfc battered spurs but couldnt score - and missed out as a result. Still, why let facts hinder 30+ years of unwarranted bitterness?

Incorrect, Southampton were shitting themselves that the Spurs top boys would dismantle the town brick by brick is Saints won, so there was 90 minutes of tippy tap around the half way line that day. If you saw MoTD there were no serious chances to either team, and both were happy to play out time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yarp - but that was in the Championship. Think 101 is the record for this division.

Record points in this division is 102 by Plymouth in 2001/2.

Three wins and a draw against HTFC is needed to beat it.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Huddersfield to join us in automatic promotion, and Rochdale to beat the scummers in the play-offs would be perfect! :)

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
Incorrect, Southampton were shitting themselves that the Spurs top boys would dismantle the town brick by brick is Saints won, so there was 90 minutes of tippy tap around the half way line that day. If you saw MoTD there were no serious chances to either team, and both were happy to play out time.
Complete and utter tripe. I was there and i remember the game well. I suppose you are going to suggest that when Tony Funnell hit the post from 12 twelve yards it was deliberate - oh, and I shot JFK BTW

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I personally think we will lose both of these games, not because they are better than us, but purely because we have secured the title.
I know we want a 100 points and Gus has targeted that to keep the players going.. but in the back of our minds we know the job is done and dropping of just that 10% will see us get beaten, as both Saints and Hudds have so much to play for still.

I hope Im wrong but thats how i see it.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I find NSCers very weird. We have spent mpore than half a season banging on about Adkins comment, which was just a wind up and havent responded to Lee Clarks comments suggesting that the 'foriegner' had a lot to learn on how to behave in the English game after the card-waving incident. One of the few times I have seen Gus really angry.

The comment was at least xenophobic and although I dont agree in prolonging these things I cant understand why we have been giving Saints stick and not Hudds.

Personally I dont care who goes up but I now dislike Clark a lot more than Adkins.

I personally think we will lose both of these games, not because they are better than us, but purely because we have secured the title.
I know we want a 100 points and Gus has targeted that to keep the players going.. but in the back of our minds we know the job is done and dropping of just that 10% will see us get beaten, as both Saints and Hudds have so much to play for still.

Both of them have got to be happy that we already got the title 'Champions' because it does take the edge of our need to win.

However - the league season isn't over and this is a great sport....so why to relax on the laurels and in front of our home crowd in the final days of Withdean and be seen as unworthy winners of the league?

"oh, Brighton were just consistent over the season" No we weren't! We were the BEST IN THE LEAGUE!

Anyway, it's not how our lads roll - so with the pressure off there's actually more likelihood of playing free, demonstration footy. Plus the players are going to want to leave Gus with the strongest impression of their worth before the transfer season sees his shopping spree strengthen the squad.
Yes we might need a few players as blokes will be going back from loans or retiring or whatever, but they are not going to want to be seen as the weak links to look at replacing!

Stuff any ideas (not that you can be serious about it :wink: ) of The Albion laying down for anyone or taking the summer holidays early.

I find NSCers very weird. We have spent mpore than half a season banging on about Adkins comment, which was just a wind up and havent responded to Lee Clarks comments suggesting that the 'foriegner' had a lot to learn on how to behave in the English game after the card-waving incident. One of the few times I have seen Gus really angry.

The comment was at least xenophobic and although I dont agree in prolonging these things I cant understand why we have been giving Saints stick and not Hudds.

Personally I dont care who goes up but I now dislike Clark a lot more than Adkins.

:ohmy:

You make a good point.
Reasons to beat BOTH of those pretenders

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Don't think much of either Huddersfield or SCC after reading some of the comments on their own message boards.
I'd prefer to stuff both of them and hopefully the POSH could sneak up into 2nd spot

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Stuff both Huddersfield and Southampton, I really don't care whether either of them - or Peterborough - get the 2nd spot, I just want to see Brighton continue to play their football and win games.

:thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'd be more than happy to beat SCC and draw against you.

I'd rather we beat them both, Southampton for obvious reasons and I want a decent win against Huddersfield so not only can we leave Withdean on a high but also pay back for the stuffing we got up at they're place last season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Personally I thought Clark has a point that day. There was no need for the card waving.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

10% ? nah , we dropped 10% at st marys , maybe more and should of beaten them.

Similar story at Hudds with the missed pen and stupid free kick we gave away 83rd min

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
brighton 3 saints 1

brighton 0 huddersfield 1

:)

You forget that we can afford one more slip up than you.

Surely Brighton fans would prefer a trip to St Marys next season then some northern dump.

By the way, the below puts us up.

Saints:
Brighton A LOSE
Hartlepool H WIN
Brentford A LOSE
Plymouth A WIN
Wallsall H WIN

Huddersfield:
MK Dons A WIN
Daggers H WIN
Brighton A LOSE
Brentford H WIN

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We need to throw the Hudds game to push SCC into the play-offs where they'll hopefully be turned over by Bournemouth. Perfect end to a perfect season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here